Jimmay's HALO 4 EOD Build [WIP][PICS][FirstBuild]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabris89

Howdy there 405th! :D jimmay here.

so i recently (finally) started my first halo build. There are so many amazing builds on here, mine wont be anywhere near that but i still wana be part of the fun :D
I'm going with a Halo 4 EOD variant, which will be a hybrid pep/foam build. Lord only knows the colour scheme but im thinking a grey/black undertone with a forest green for the primary.
n3lw.jpg

The files for the pieces are readily available, had to improvise a couple. the chest will be all foam but for others there were peps available; leading to the pep/foam mentioned before. ill be using:

HELMET: Halo 4 EOD (Satchmo III, Aztlan) /assembly stage/
TORSO: halo 4 eod chest foam ready by brokenvisr unfolded by crazydav0 /assembly stage(HIATUS)/
SHOULDERS: Halo 4 EOD shoulder by fat-hi555 - Unfolded by CarterBuilder12 /not started/
FOREARMS: Recruit (spartan 4 forearm by monkeyfuj) /not started/
THIGHS: spartan 4 thigh by monkeyfuj /not started/
SHINS: Recruit shin (left)+(right) by fat-hi555 - Unfolded by CarterBuilder12 /not started/
BOOTS: xg-89 narrow boot model by monkeyfuj unfolded by zero prime /1/2 pepped/
BUT PIECE: xg89 narrow butt modeled by monkeyfuj unfolded by zero prime /not started/

heres a rushed crappy cutout of the pieces haha i got the landmine file, which will be decked out with LED's and such; cos what else would an explosives expert be running around with? ;)

ill also be doing a custom undersuit but more on that later.

heres a couple of progress shots thus far.
5or7.jpg
my6a.jpg
j3cs.jpg
5kea.jpg
oqic.jpg
xekw.jpg

all feedback and critisisms always welcome :D

Jimmay!

n3lw.jpg

5or7.jpg

my6a.jpg

j3cs.jpg

5kea.jpg

oqic.jpg

xekw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great start to your build thread. All too often I see someone starting a thread with little more that "I'm gonna make some armor." It looks like you've got things well planned out, organized and on a roll! The boot is coming along nicely; looks like a pain to pep, but you're doing well.

It's always necessary to have some sort of refreshment while working on this stuff; whether it be food, drink, music or a movie. I like your choice!

Great start to your build thread. All too often I see someone starting a thread with little more that "I'm gonna make some armor." It looks like you've got things well planned out, organized and on a roll! The boot is coming along nicely; looks like a pain to pep, but you're doing well.

It's always necessary to have some sort of refreshment while working on this stuff; whether it be food, drink, music or a movie. I like your choice!
I found myself watching every Marvel movie on Netflix one day while I was working on my build :)

Someone recommended pinning the piece down onto the foam to me but I haven't tried it yet. Normally I just trace the piece onto the foam with a sharpie then cut it out. Is there any specific benefit to using pins? I am incredibly steady and don't worry about tracing a piece wrong, but I could see where this might be useful for some smaller pieces.
Also, those lenses will look phenomenal in the EOD helmet.

I found myself watching every Marvel movie on Netflix one day while I was working on my build :)

Someone recommended pinning the piece down onto the foam to me but I haven't tried it yet. Normally I just trace the piece onto the foam with a sharpie then cut it out. Is there any specific benefit to using pins? I am incredibly steady and don't worry about tracing a piece wrong, but I could see where this might be useful for some smaller pieces.
Also, those lenses will look phenomenal in the EOD helmet.

in regards to the pins, im using them as im not on a regular schedual yet with this build cos i was on night shifts. so theyr holding the pieces for when i get stuck into them on an RDO. but i do find it keeps em sturdy, especially with the little pieces like u said.
Cheers for the thought on the lenses :D id say the EOD gives a bit of an easier edge lense wise cos you dont need a 10" odd face plate :p

your words of encouragement mean alot, especially from such a veteran :D this has been in my head since about may so ALOT of planning has been done, especially since i was able to register with you guys and check out some builds.
And yes, the whole "screwdriver to skull thing" came up several times during that boot...and they come in 2's :(

All of the foam pieces are traced and ready to cut. Ill make a start tomorrow after work and pin it all together, so i get all ideas right before making it permanent haha. A heads up for first time builders ive learnt, full time work does not get along well with this hobby, especially on night shifts :D

proper progress has begun :D im working on the chest as i sit here typing... (excuse the mess)

pjyv.jpg

tb25.jpg

s669.jpg

with the UNSC logo, not sure if going to just airbrush a cutout in the later stages, or make a foamy so its raised from the armor a tad.

Attachments

• pjyv.jpg
    pjyv.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 381
  • tb25.jpg
    tb25.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 378
  • s669.jpg
    s669.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 379
Another Sydney-sider!

Will be watching this to see how it turns out, that way, I might be able to spot you at Supanova next year, or something like that.
Also, don't forget to bevel those edges on the foam - angular joins go together much cleaner if you do.

MS7

Another Sydney-sider!

Will be watching this to see how it turns out, that way, I might be able to spot you at Supanova next year, or something like that.
Also, don't forget to bevel those edges on the foam - angular joins go together much cleaner if you do.

MS7
nice a sydney person :D i thought i was the only one lol im hoping to have this done way before the next supanova, otherwise there is something wrong with me! any tips/suggestions/threads to help out with said beveling? first time foam and my prototype foam was a disaster. my idea of beveling was keep cutting edges til it works.....no :(

cant wait to see your finished armor
thanks leonidas :)

moar progress tonight:
no idea the name of the puffy-pin-holding-thingy seamstress' use so improvised my own..duct tape+side release buckle
gaz0.jpg
a8s0.jpg

m092.jpg
ixpo.jpg
uqdi.jpg

slowly but surely ladies and gents :)

Attachments

• gaz0.jpg
    gaz0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 366
  • a8s0.jpg
    a8s0.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 364
  • m092.jpg
    m092.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 382
  • ixpo.jpg
    ixpo.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 372
  • uqdi.jpg
    uqdi.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 362
Great job so far! I'm looking forward to this build especially because I might make an EOD helmet myself! Keep up the good work!

Looks good mate *thumbs up

*other hand thumbs up

*toes thumbs up
haha thanks Scotsmin :D running out of thumbs there?
Great job so far! I'm looking forward to this build especially because I might make an EOD helmet myself! Keep up the good work!
Thanks mate :) Forget the might, just give it a whirl! if not EOD then SCOUT, or PREFECT, or ODST; grab some files, open em up and eeny meeny your screen until you decide what to print :D
working on this armor is so rewarding, i would have never thought of even starting something like this, but here we are through the looking glass :) lets go all the way!!

apologies for no updates in a couple of days, been a wee bit busy at home and work :) moar progress tonight when i finish work!

well ive started gluing the chest pieces together, sorry for no pics, phone derped. i appologise in advance for the crappy foam work, first time and all. hopefully ill have more luck with the pep side :)
stay tuned and as always, comment/criticize/feedback.

jimmay

Sorry that its been over a week since updates, been crazy busy and ive hit a few bumps with my foam and i didnt want to make it worse before i sought some advice. Progress should resume tomorrow :)

:edit: and that it did, and with my short attention span and limited workspace at night, i got the s***s with my chest and made a start on the helmet instead. i feel like ill never get this finished :(

[PICTURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR BECAUSE IT CONTAINED PROFANITY. IF YOU WANT TO POST IT, EDIT OUT THE PROFANITY]

Last edited by a moderator:
got my CORTANA DATA CHIP order from JUSTINIAN117 today :D
nj25.jpg

after last nights foam fiasco, this is a welcome motivation booster :)

Attachments

• nj25.jpg
    nj25.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 365
Keep working, you're doing great. I found it that the further that I go in my build, the more enjoyment I get out of it. I can't wait to see the final product.

so i have a crazy idea that i have no experience in but am guna give a shot anyway :D
last night i roughly learnt how to use Corel Draw (X4), and what i plan on doing, is making a somewhat sliced Spartan IV knife. then with a guy that does laser cutting, getting him to print the slices on some thin perspex or the like; then layer them up and whack on a covering of body filler. i feel this might be an easier method then pepping such a small fiddly piece and having to resin/fibreglass it. if it turns out ok, might even get a mate to do some moulds :D
but i ask, what advice can you give for something like this ladies and gents? is there a certain way to go about the layering and cutting? or things to avoid with assembly?

Cheers, jimmay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back