Sarlume's first Spartan Build W/Custom Undersuit (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to dissuade you, but maybe you should try the reach pilot helmet with that attachment. That way you can have that eva kinda look without huge curve to worry about in the visor. Either way I'm subbed!

Oh, that is a pretty one. My Achilles heel is that that's what I like about those kind of helmets (even though anything other than a frost visor makes em a bit too easy to spot). Heh...That is a good idea, though. I'm fond of the CQB helmet, too.

Very nice work on the forearms and shoulders especially... impressive!

Good luck on the grunt costumes too, we don't have nearly enough covenant around here. If the ratio in the actual storyline had been this biased towards the UNSC it wouldn't have been much of a fight at all!

This is looking flat out awesome. I really like all the layering lines in your pieces, it adds the prefect amount of depth and detail!! Can't wait to see your paint job.

1 word description of your armor:
Fantabulous.
Definition:
FANTABULOUS-
Sort of like "fabulous" but much more fabulous than the word "fabulous" can convey. Like supercalifragilisticexpialidocius but shorter and easier to spell.

Fantabulous.
Definition:
FANTABULOUS-
Sort of like "fabulous" but much more fabulous than the word "fabulous" can convey. Like supercalifragilisticexpialidocius but shorter and easier to spell.

This made me laugh out loud, a lot.

The armour looks amazing! I haven't been on here in a while, and all of a sudden you're pretty much done building! Also, that grunt costume, well, me wants, but I'm just too tall to pull it off (unless I hunch over, and walk around with 6' tall people. :p)
Anyways, amazing work, I'm super excited to see the end result.

Keep it up!

Very nice work on the forearms and shoulders especially... impressive!

Good luck on the grunt costumes too, we don't have nearly enough covenant around here. If the ratio in the actual storyline had been this biased towards the UNSC it wouldn't have been much of a fight at all!

Hey, thanks! You're not kidding; reference was not nearly as plentiful as Spartan armor! I was able to count grunt costumes on one hand. :-/ I hope they turn out to look as great, too.

This is looking flat out awesome. I really like all the layering lines in your pieces, it adds the prefect amount of depth and detail!! Can't wait to see your paint job.

I won't lie; the paint job made me nervous, and I'll still admit that I probably did not do it right. I'll probably have to repaint sooner rather than later due to timeline restraints this time around. Still she's turning out. :)

Fantabulous.
Definition:
FANTABULOUS-

Haha! That was quite a giggle. ^__^ I'm tickled that you think it looks supercalifragilisticexpialidocius. or fantabulous for short. Hopefully, I can fully join the ranks of suited 405th-ers very soon.

This made me laugh out loud, a lot.

The armour looks amazing! I haven't been on here in a while, and all of a sudden you're pretty much done building! Also, that grunt costume, well, me wants, but I'm just too tall to pull it off (unless I hunch over, and walk around with 6' tall people. :p)
Anyways, amazing work, I'm super excited to see the end result.

Keep it up!

Done, but probably never complete, right? Heh...it's fair to say that I'm a bit addicted to this craft now. I'm going to have to invest in a storage shed to house all of the suits I'll eventually make. The grunts included. ^^

Update!

I know it's been a while, but it ended up coming down to either updating, or getting the suit finished in time to wear it for Halloween. I know it still isn't Halloween, but to be fair the suit is still not 100% done (will it ever be?). Still, I was very happy to have it done enough.

I'll still go over the progress, though. I left off with the whole thing built but not detailed, fully wearable, or painted. So, I moved on with trying to tackle the detailing in various places (this was after getting the grunt to a good point for the Zoo...more on that later, though.). The helmet was an eyesore to me for a veeeery long time, so I focused my attention on the front and back of my torso piece. Makes sense, right?

WIP7-Reconchest.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

The details took a good chunk of time, but it was enjoyable to watch the thing become something other than foam bits and pieces. The lights, for now, are book lights...I took to that suggestion quite wholeheartedly in the face of a deadline. I will, however, be replacing them with LEDs over time (after learning a bit on the matter). Now I feel brave enough to tackle the helmet, after it's clear that I just don't have time to try and fabricate a new helmet under still-kinda-new-skills and end up without a wearable helmet at all. (That, and after much consideration, I just can't figure out which one to try and make first. Indecision takes away time, too.)

abe44b08-a672-45e2-b0f9-099feb8c5d54.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

After cutting then installing the visor permanently, I was able to fit it more comfortably with my hair in there. I'll still be making another, but I am much happier with the fit.

I had feared that the battle damage was just too much, but to be honest, I don't think many people will notice it. It started out as a badly glued spot on a seam, and I just embellished it into claw scars. It's grown on me; kinda gives her a background I don't know about. Looks kinda like an Elite tried to break her neck? Meh. Moving on...

Okie doke. I started to just paint the pieces all white. The vinyl I used on the bodysuit was not a stark-white though, so I opted for a really light antique/vanilla almost white. I worked on putting in the holes and diffusers (they are 3/8" cable ties; the same ones I use for corset boning...) during this step.

IMG_2962.jpg

Of course, it brought out the atrocious jagged dull-blade bits. I had to cover that up. Re-sealed, then painted again. I liked the Bayonet skin on this thigh that came with the Champions bundle, so I went with that.

VenatorThigh-BYNTskin.jpg

Aaand the paint on the chest...I was excited when the Recon SURG showed up on my unlockable armor because I wasn't terribly happy with the original paint scheme and I wasn't sure how to go with the secondary. So. Recon SURG it is. I tried to get as close to it as possible, but hey, I'm fairly happy with the first go.

Some progress:
IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

And the front of the torso, detailed, painted, and only partly battle damaged. I stopped at this level of battle damage for our outing to the mall's Halloween night, but I will eventually be brave enough to try blackwashing and other various scar techniques. Any pointers?

IMG_2965.jpg

Alright, painted on each piece all day (Didn't get to the boots, but they don't have much red on them anyway. I will be able to get that checked before Halloween though.) and got them all evenly damaged to the point that I was okay with being seen in public with what I had done.

A couple shots at the mall:
4b9fafd6-2fbb-4601-9376-be901476fd02.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

Unfortunately, I never got a pic of the three of us. I'm a little bummed about that, but I hated to inconvenience someone more than I already had. The coolest part was that we didn't even get five feet from the car before we were asked for our first picture. We lost count, but there were so many 'wow, that's so cool!' and 'Oh my God, that's the greatest costume ever!' that it was hard to keep up. First time suited up in public, so each request for a photo made me grin like a fool...I smiled for each picture, too, despite the helmet. ^^; Didn't make it in time for the contest, but we still had such a great time. Chick-fil-A was interesting with fitting in the chairs and feeding one's self fully armored. Good learning experience. Wore it for a couple hours and it really wasn't that hot, so I was happy about that.

Anyway, I've practically written a novel, so I'll move on. The grunt took a good chunk of my time away from doing things to my suit that I wanted, but their costumes were a tad more important to me; I have like five dresses I could wear if push came to shove. I will be heading over to my gruntpocolypse thread to update the goodies on that note. I'll be back after I've worked up the nerve (and information) to go near blackwashing.

If you made it this far, I commend you. ^^; Until next time! <3

WIP7-Reconchest.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

abe44b08-a672-45e2-b0f9-099feb8c5d54.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

VenatorThigh-BYNTskin.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

4b9fafd6-2fbb-4601-9376-be901476fd02.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just beautiful I love that paint scheme might I suggest that scarring on the top of the helmet be from the spines of a close encounter with a hunter? :p in the books they say a hunters spines can rip through even mjolnir armor :D this is really impressive even if you haven't completed it I think this is awesome!!!!

This is one beautiful suit of armour you're rockin! :D Great to see it painted and (mostly) done. Speaking of the paint, it looks awesome, and you did the armour skin very well!

If you're looking for some good painting tutorials, Adam Grumbo has a few very useful videos on the topic, as does CerealKill3r (if I remember correctly), both have good tips and tricks regarding weathering and battle damage. One common tip is that with battle damage and scratches, less if often more. It's easy to go overboard with it, but if you take your time to balance it out properly, it really shines :)

Nice work, can't wait to see more (especially those grunts). Happy building :)

This is just beautiful I love that paint scheme might I suggest that scarring on the top of the helmet be from the spines of a close encounter with a hunter? :p in the books they say a hunters spines can rip through even mjolnir armor :D this is really impressive even if you haven't completed it I think this is awesome!!!!

Thank you! Okay, that sounds pretty intriguing. I like that it isn't such a cookie-cutter reason to have battle scars. ;P

That is some very nice armor ya got there. Ingenious undersuit too :)

Thanks! After wearing it for a couple hours at a time, I'm now more aware of what needs to change on it, but it worked fairly well in a real-world scenario. :D Kinda stoked that it wasn't too hot, too.

So jealous right now, the costume looks awesome.

Thank you kindly. ^_^

This is one beautiful suit of armour you're rockin! :D Great to see it painted and (mostly) done. Speaking of the paint, it looks awesome, and you did the armour skin very well!

If you're looking for some good painting tutorials, Adam Grumbo has a few very useful videos on the topic, as does CerealKill3r (if I remember correctly), both have good tips and tricks regarding weathering and battle damage. One common tip is that with battle damage and scratches, less if often more. It's easy to go overboard with it, but if you take your time to balance it out properly, it really shines :)

Nice work, can't wait to see more (especially those grunts). Happy building :)

Thank you for the info! I do remember coming across several suggestions not to go too far, so I don't intend to do much more as far as scratches or scars. However, since the main color is white, I wondered at how much more light damage or other filth might be noticeable than on a darker suit. I may just be over-thinking it...

As of now, I'm really just wanting to put in some minor scratches in places that never got them initially (the butt plate is still pristine...), a blackwash -which is a bit daunting on a white suit when I've never tried blackwashing before-, and perhaps a plasma burn or two.

Yeah... I just picked my jaw up off the floor. This turned out sweet, I love it.

Given the quality of your awesome helmet and suit so far, that means quite a bit! ^^ Thank you!

Okay, I'm really just popping in real quick to post a couple photos from Halloween and gush a bit on the night we had before I pop back out again (I have four orders to catch up on, but here I am... ^^;). The pictures could have been better, and we had one malfunction on one of the grunt masks (seriously...hot glue and latex HATE each other), but here they are nonetheless.

IMG_3014.jpg

Aforementioned malfunction on the mask. :(
IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

There was one group that 'wow'ed a lot when they saw us, one guy asking us "Grunts? Who wants to dress up as a grunt?" ...Uh...them, apparently?

My favorite part of the whole night was at the busiest house we went to all night (we go to it every year...I made the lady's costume ^^) A decent group was convened around me (I had my helmet on, of course) and they started asking me questions about the suit, to which I answered. The guy asking backed up a bit, shook his head, and asked me, "Wait...are you a GIRL?" I about came unglued, and I could hear my son snickering. It was pretty entertaining to take off the helmet and have the guy tell his buddies, "Hey, it's a chick!" Good times. I was even handed a whole bag of candy from the house for 'winning the best costume all night'. I can't wait to make a suit for each of my boys and troop out all together. =^_^=

Anywho, here's a pic of the whole suit on my mannequin (I call her Ursula...). The thing makes her about 6'2"...she's a bit intimidating. She's also about 4 sizes smaller than I am. Regardless, it's a good way to keep the thing all together and off the floor of my tiny workroom. ^^; I also wanted to put call tags somewhere on it, and to look into asking permission from the right people to put the 405th sticker on the suit...It never would have been made without this community. I feel like I'll never consider it done.

IMG_2987.jpg

It's been a blast, guys. I'll be trying to finish the last bits of the paint job before we take her to RTX in July, but I may post that on the new thread I'll make once I start my son's suit. He's 13 now, and next on my 'suit list' is the Meta for him, hopefully also in time for RTX. Nervous?

Yes. Yes I am.

<3

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cookie cutter reason? :p haha and you can have the logo as long as your not putting the logo on something and selling it as 405th merchandise correct me if I'm wrong mods.

That is some seriously sweet armour you've got there! Oh, and nice work on the Grunt costumes, too.

Sounds like you had a great time! I'm bummed about missing out on Halloween this year myself. Your grunts came out really well too! All around this has been a 5/5 stars turnout in my opinion. Nice job.

By far one of THE BEST foam Halo 4 suits out there. Keep it up!

Hey, thanks! ^^ I'll eventually get into blackwashing it and hopefully make it better.

While I'm in the neighborhood, I figured I'd drop this in here until I have enough time to devote it to its own thread on down the road.
vYaMTagl.jpg

41ZFBRHl.jpg

VUNAHaQl.jpg

My Halo 4 EVA (attempts...)! I started it to be too small, so I changed out the top...now it looks silly, but it's in progress. I'm trying to make sure that the proportions of the helmet stay sorta accurate, but after having to make it bigger on top I may just have extend the bottom too. It fits like this, though, and I worry about it turning out too big. Thoughts? :-/

I'm doing my best to ignore the visor at the moment...^^; This may take some time.

Attachments

• vYaMTagl.jpg
    vYaMTagl.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 41ZFBRHl.jpg
    41ZFBRHl.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 169
  • VUNAHaQl.jpg
    VUNAHaQl.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.