98% accurate EMILE build finished pics 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosh

Hola 405th, it's been a while since I've posted a build thread here, but I've been off in foreign lands building foreign things. This year for Halloween, I've decided to go with a character that I've not seen done accurately, Emile. I know there have been other Emile builds, but somehow nobody has done a vac formed visor for him, and I think the builds have suffered for it.

Being that I am friends with the wonderful roxyroo, I would be remiss not to make the armor from foam. I started at the shins.

null_zpsea71bd83.jpg

One is painted already (I couldn't resist) with acrylic paints, and I'm moderately happy with the results.

Since my time table is short, I figured I better get to work on the helmet being that I need a vac table made, and a buck ready to form. I used a file that I believe JTM made (correct me if I'm wrong). It's the more accurate of the 2 models I found online, but it still has a few things that don't quite match the game model. To correct that, I used apoxie sculpt to add in the missing pieces, or straighten out the missing lines. This model was a pain to pep, the unfold's crease threshold was just a touch too low, so it left me with some weird warps that I've been dealing with.

Also, my pep skills have suffered in the year or two since I've done one...

null_zpsfb34689f.jpg

null_zps6b152fc7.jpg

i hardened the pep with smooth cast 320, so to deal with unwelcome bulges I just heated it and forced them into place. Bondo will cover the wrinkles.

Luckily for me, I pepped a security shoulder a few years ago for no particular reason. I'll use it now-

null_zps218f5258.jpg

i also drafted up some blueprints of the boots- I'm going to make them from scratch rather than attempt to modify a pair of shoes.

null_zps22423223.jpg

i ordered a leg pouch for my thigh attachment- it's a bit bigger than I anticipated, but it will do. It shouldn't require too much modification either.

null_zps00749c7f.jpg

my intent was to use my mark v chest from my abandoned grey team build, but life in the garage has been unkind to it. A lamp was placed on top of it, and the hot Arizona summer caused further deformity. I intended to fix it, but upon examination today, I may be better off starting anew.

null_zps0fc40faa.jpg

thats all I've got for today, I have a lot ahead of me in the next 6 weeks if I want to get this done on time. The future holds a vac table, more bondo and foam, and undersuit construction as well!

Thanks for reading, updates coming as I build.

Attachments

• null_zpsea71bd83.jpg
    null_zpsea71bd83.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 383
  • null_zpsfb34689f.jpg
    null_zpsfb34689f.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 430
  • null_zps00749c7f.jpg
    null_zps00749c7f.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 378
  • null_zps22423223.jpg
    null_zps22423223.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 360
  • null_zps218f5258.jpg
    null_zps218f5258.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 359
  • null_zps6b152fc7.jpg
    null_zps6b152fc7.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 343
  • null_zps0fc40faa.jpg
    null_zps0fc40faa.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 353
i really hope you can get this finished in time.

i had an idea to run by you before you vacuum formed the visor. are you planning on doing the visor detail (the actual visor detail not the scull) if so you might want to have that finished before the visor is vac formed. - just an idea.

good luck with your build.

Yes I do intend to do the visor details before its formed, I'm not going to vac form the skull though. I'll be using a dremel and needle files to do the inset details on the buck, and I imagine I'll use the same tools to do the skull on the petg once it's been formed.

So, you're going to add the detail to the buck, then vacuform the visor, so the skull detail is formed while vacuforming? Am I correct?

I'll just be doing the recessed visor details for the buck, the skull will be carved into the plastic visor later. These are what I'm talking about

6095e0b4405b1e8e8ba58eba6b5c197b.jpg

Attachments

• 6095e0b4405b1e8e8ba58eba6b5c197b.jpg
    6095e0b4405b1e8e8ba58eba6b5c197b.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 388
Oh, ok, I understand now. I though you were going to try to vacuform in the skull. Good deal.

Looking good so far. Long way to go in a short time, but keep at it!

Great start - I'm taking the same approach with my Orbital visor. What are you making the buck from? Is it just the epoxy sculpt on top of pep? Or are you using a styrofoam core or something? I'm not quite to helmet stage, so I'm still collecting intel. Def subbing to see how it goes.

My plan is to take the pepped visor and build a plaster base, I'm just making a cheapy little vac table rather than a large one. I don't have any experience vac forming, so I'll probably be posting around looking for advice. As I get closer ill post some sketches of my plan.

Thans for the interest guys.

Please do this, I've never seen a perfect Emile suit made. I was gonna do one a while back but got side-tracked. Good luck, man!

-Ryan

Yesterday and today I got the lateral visor details carved in. I did the whole thing just using needle files, and haven't used my dremel yet.

My my tennis elbow is killing me.

When end I get back from work I'll do the top visor detail, I think I'll use the dremel this time. Anyhow, pics.

null_zps4a165b21.jpg

null_zpsf4ebf2b4.jpg

Now on to the problem areas of the helmet. The back is where many of the inaccuracies lie, and where many of my warps occurred. The cheek vents are also the wrong shape and size, so I'll have to do some surgery there too.

Oh well, at least the visor is mostly done.

See you in a couple days.

Attachments

• null_zps4a165b21.jpg
    null_zps4a165b21.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 489
  • null_zpsf4ebf2b4.jpg
    null_zpsf4ebf2b4.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 350
lookin great so far. so you process for this was bondo over pep, then plaster, then sand, then file in details?

No plaster, it's just bondo over pep for the visor area. There are some areas surrounding the visor that have been augmented with apoxie sculpt, but the visor is just bondo over pep, hand sanded down to 400 grit, primed and sanded with 400 grit again.
The reason plaster was mentioned is that it will be used as a backing for the vac form buck so my visor doesn't distort under the heat of vac forming, plaster won't be used in any cosmetic fashion.

Lifes been too damn busy for me to make any progress this week. I'm going to have to pick it up this weekend or I'll miss my goal by a lot!

Holy crap... So smooth... I'm definitely eager to see this build done, as I've never seen an accurate emile suit before. That, and I'm trying to make one my self, and this build is greatly motivating me :) Keep it up!

The visor is super smooth, but I'm more impressed with the panel lines that you've scribed in.

What tool did you use to do them, or was it something custom?

Small update time:
c9430a096e07949041cf9689d88403eb.jpg

Thighs!
Next up cod

Attachments

• c9430a096e07949041cf9689d88403eb.jpg
    c9430a096e07949041cf9689d88403eb.jpg
    757.1 KB · Views: 383
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back