Halo Reach Armor- Spartan HR-51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo I got some bad news. I tried my helmet on fully built. It doesn't fit and my ears get in the way and my head is to wide. either I scrap it and try again or. i resin it and modify it the have the visor and chin guard to come off. Either with servos or magnets. Any ideas?

No need to scrap it! Just modify (cut) the bottom of the helmet a little bit and it should fit. :D

Pat-

it is the small detail ribbing on the bottom. plus i realized i forgot my vents....which i think i got EVA laying around that i can use. So if i cut that and maybe foam layer for the detail i should be ok you think?

It depends on how much issue you're having with getting the helmet on. I've built this file myself several times to get a test fit, and I can safely say that the lower ring of detail could easily be done much better in foam. That said, if you're truly having issues, sometimes it's better to re-do another piece just to see.

Well All I can say is either the ring goes or I have to make a brand new Helmet.....Not looking forward to that if it happens but on better news though I will not have to scrap the original helmet. My sister still fits in it and so does my wife. So I might just make an ODST build if that happens. So all hope is not lost.

Just a heads up, I'm doing a very similar build (ODST helmet fully loaded and the Collar/Breacher), which is wonderful news for you.

Make sure you check out this thread for your build:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28023-Official-Halo-Reach-Reference-Thread-*Pic-Heavy-Spoilers*/
Scroll through all the pages you might see something you like.

Make sure you also check out this post in the thread: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...eavy-Spoilers*?p=701493&viewfull=1#post701493
It has LOTS of pictures showing off the Collar/Breacher as well as some of the fine details of the LEDs and undersuit.

Oh, and it looks like your UA Forehead mounted attachment is upside-down.
th_reach_7133844_Full.jpg
To make it easy, look at the 4 protrusions on the front surface. The top two are closer to one another and the bottom two are further apart.
I mean, I'm sure you haven't "mounted" it yet, but I wanted to make sure you noticed it before you do.

Also, it appears as though you are using a Hugh Holder ODST helmet model to which I must say cheers!
They are my favorite for sure.
They do have one drawback though... they are VERY narrow.
Sooo I got some bad news. I tried my helmet on fully built. It doesn't fit and my ears get in the way and my head is to wide.
Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. I definitely would have said something had I known what model you were using.

ok I am having issue with making the vents on the helmet near the chin section.
Those 4 vents (2 on either side of the jaw) would be best made from craft foam.

In Hugh Holder's model, there are the pieces that don't really attach to other ones, which include those and the things that look like straps that come up from the bottom onto the sides of the helmet by the ears. These "floating surfaces" are meant to be made from thin-ish foam.

As for your visor, there are a few methods of approach. There is the vacuform method you could use, or there is this tutorial: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30968-Tutorial-ODST-Visors-(and-other-useful-info)

Attachments

• th_reach_7133844_Full.jpg
    th_reach_7133844_Full.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 106
I actually cut the bottom ribbing out so it does somewhat fits again. But I am going to try after my wedding to resin the inside an cut some of the fold inside down so it is not to tight on the inside for me. Hugh had a tutorial in his posting about the ODST armor he made about how to do the visor with our vacuum forming it since I do not have the extra money for it right now. I was figuring that the vents would have to be foam just because I tried vent trails of paper and other helmet vents and none worked.

More then likely once I find my respirator and my other stuff from my move I will resin the helmet and start the fine tweaks after. I am still going to finish this one even if it doesn't fit me. But all progress is slow due to the wedding in i think 26 days. But Thanks for the tips they do help

Well Folks I got bad news after much thought I have to scrap my helmet. It is just to small for me to wear. I am going to try to redo the scaling seeing as I have a HUGE head. I am going to try with a new model and give me some time to see about doing foam on the rest of the armor. Might think of my ODST build in the intermittent. But hit a wall financially with my Reach Armor and I got two more I want to build. Just a lot of struggle and with school and possibly a job soon.....the time she is escaping me.

I will take help on trying to do this build. Just right now I can not do this build and hope to have it done.

Awesome work on the helmet! Im also working on my first build and a reach one at that :cool Hope the rest gos well, the scaling part is the most annoying.

Awesome work on the helmet! Im also working on my first build and a reach one at that :cool Hope the rest gos well, the scaling part is the most annoying.

Thanks it really annoying with the scaling. I was thinking about see how many EVA mats it took to make a ODST helmet. In most threads it only looks like 2 maybe three. I am looking at it this way go buy one pack from Lowe's or home depot. build what I can wait buy another and just finish this build. Or I wait but a lot of Ebay or Amazon and just do it all. That or abandon this for now and Do my ODST custom Build.

20141022_205036.jpg
It worked!!!!! The plastic dip did not sratch off.
20141022_205047.jpg
It even worked well with the paint. On the resin that is.
20141022_205021.jpg
both side by side. I am so happy my crazy idea is working.
20141022_205143.jpg
All setup to paint. But i maybe bondo the top first for detail and smoothness.

This Pep is really cool! I haven't been able to work on my build for a while now due to school. I am building a Reach armor set as well. My helmet is the CQB.

20141023_161136.jpg
20141023_181749.jpg
20141023_161120.jpg
20141023_161154.jpg
20141023_161129.jpg

So final application of bondo has been applied. The attachmentments are painted and weathered. All is looking up the helmet will be done just before halloween. Going on just a year since my helmet was fully built it is due time it is finished.

20141025_150940[1].jpg
All painted and weathered. It looks amazing
20141025_150954[1].jpg
got jumped one time.
20141025_151142[1].jpg
Missed sniper shot
20141025_150806[1].jpg
This gets a Troopers thumbs up.
20141025_151028[1].jpg
The wife wanted in on the fun....I think my head a little bit bigger then hers.
20141025_151340[1].jpg
Even my eldest wanted to be an awesome trooper. WIN!

Hey man, that's looking really good! I especially like the creative weathering. If it was mine, i'd blacken the sniper glance a bit, so it looks more like you got sliced by a beam rifle than pot-shotted by an innie. Did you ever fix your fit problem?

Thanks man. Actually i did it fits well now just my dang ears coming off is all. But i am so happy with how it looks

1414765830619-457657030.jpg

Done!!! I got it done it time for halloween. I can see out it but i now have lots of things i now know for my next build. Which this thread may get changed over to an ODST build now. But looking at all you guys do really helped me in the end. Thanks all. Now i got to help my wife start making armor. So you may see a new face and what she has to offer.

Attachments

• 20141031_101138.jpg
    20141031_101138.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back