Modeling Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eljosh

Hello all,
I can't seem to create a thread over in the modeling section, but I have a question about pre modeling steps, I'm working on a set of armor, and I have alot of reference pictures, but how exactly do I find the proportions, and scale of the armor?
I was thinking that I should print out a page of it, and measure it and scale it to my size, but the problem I'm thinking of is that many of the pieces are curved. How would I find the angle, and round curve of the helmet.
I'm kinda stumped, I don't want to go thru all the math I'm thinking of and it not being exactly right.
Thanks in Advanced

Pep scales for you pretty easily, as if you change one dimension it automatically pulls the others in to it.
Because of this, you need only find one dimension, and arguably the easiest is height. You can easily measure the height of the helmet (chin to top) on an image and have it come out very accurate. You then just measure yourself, divide the height of the pic by the height of yourself, and multiply the height of the helmet by that ratio. That might make no sense what so ever if you haven't done it before so just let me know and I'll give you a more in depth explanation. But as for the chest etc. The height is generally still the easiest way to go.

Actually, there are some armor parts that height is not the best measurement. For parts like the helmet, shins, thighs, biceps and forearms (although, depending on the orientation of the forearms, depth might be better), height works well. However, for the torso and codpiece, I've found that width is what you need to focus on.

Eljosh, this is one of those hobbies where you can literally spend days trying to calculate the correct scale of a piece, then only find out if you're correct by printing and building it. I consider myself fairly proficient at scaling armor (I've gotten a lot of compliments regarding the proportions of my Mk VI armor), but there are times when I build a piece only to find that it's still not quite right. You've just got to start doing it and you'll get the hang of it.

Gotcha cool beans, now I just got to get my friend to model my Ronin Warriors Armor Of Halo for me. I kinda got the hang of scaling when I did my storm trooper helmet, made the whole thing three times. But I was wondering since I never got someone to model something for me, if I had to give the proportions to him in the beginning would make things flow better when I pep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back