Props Ironman WEARABLE Arc Reactor: Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilla137

Jr Member
Hello to anyone reading this :) I know ironman isn't really the most popular thing here on 405th, but I felt the need to put this on here anyways. This is not meant to be a tutorial, however, if any of you would like me to put up the steps for how I made this and what I used I will be happy to oblige. So without further ado, here is my step by step progress of making a WEARABLE arc reactor.

2rmph4z.jpg

^molded the ring using polymorph (on ebay) and some spice lids
2psruoi.jpg

^used electrical tape for the background on the wires
jgrt77.jpg

^stripped some wire I found in my garage and wrapped the wire around the electrical tape
f2n78k.jpg

^Found a pipe cover thingy at OSH that fit PERFECTLY on the inside
6f1bgg.jpg

^drew the design for the inner metal ring thing on cardstock 110
szhk6a.jpg

^began cutting
2n1gsc0.jpg

^cut out and painted
11l64c0.jpg

^cut pvc pipe for center area
2jflu8p.jpg

^placed inner ring to see if symmetrical
zo6quw.jpg

^tested center LED with polymorph molded center

going to have to double post for the rest of the pics, SORRY!

Attachments

• 2rmph4z.jpg
    2rmph4z.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 2psruoi.jpg
    2psruoi.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 212
  • jgrt77.jpg
    jgrt77.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 249
  • f2n78k.jpg
    f2n78k.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 6f1bgg.jpg
    6f1bgg.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 189
  • szhk6a.jpg
    szhk6a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 2n1gsc0.jpg
    2n1gsc0.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 11l64c0.jpg
    11l64c0.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 2jflu8p.jpg
    2jflu8p.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 202
  • zo6quw.jpg
    zo6quw.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 215
Here are the rest of the pics, sorry for a double post!

27xnrk6.jpg

^I ended up not using the center ring in this pic, but used small screws and made brackets
k9w3m0.jpg

^cut strips of electrical taped and placed on the inside and painted pvc pipe tube
300fhqg.jpg

^LEDs glued all in place
2cekxuo.jpg

^Back of the reactor
mc59bd.jpg

^stripped all the wires and twisted them together
2wqh62o.jpg

^soldered them together
1z1db47.jpg

^Finished front
2wd51t4.jpg

^Finished lit up

This isn't COMPLETELY done simply because I'm debating if I want to solder in a switch. The back casing I'm going to use will be a peanut butter lid which I will paint. I still have about 25% of the peanut butter left so I'm going to eat it all before I take the lid.

This is my first attempt and had no help from tutorials. I know it might look so-so but I'm proud of it :D any questions or comments, good or bad, feel free to post!

I will probably post again once I have the back and switch installed as well as the strapping complete :)

-Achilla137

Attachments

• k9w3m0.jpg
    k9w3m0.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 27xnrk6.jpg
    27xnrk6.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 2cekxuo.jpg
    2cekxuo.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 300fhqg.jpg
    300fhqg.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 212
  • mc59bd.jpg
    mc59bd.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 209
  • 2wqh62o.jpg
    2wqh62o.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 195
  • 2wd51t4.jpg
    2wd51t4.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 1z1db47.jpg
    1z1db47.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 202
that looks awesome! what did you use for materials? I just finished putting on the backing and straps today and will finalize it tomorrow and take pics

Wow this is awesome looking, cant wait to see more :)

^thanks!

SO friday was the party and the arc worked PERFECTLY! except for the fact that the arc started to dim after about 2 hours, BUT we we're under a black light so it still lit up pretty well :) Unfortunately the pics we took didn't come out too well, so I just quickly put it on to show you how it looked completed and ready to take on the night as tony stark!

zirbjr.jpg

kbdagy.jpg

2en2h6h.jpg

2qva5tu.jpg

So the bottom straps don't actually go THAT low, I just didn't want to pin them up in place. They are meant to go over the shoulders to hold it up, so basically it was a man bra lol. Hope you liked and thanks for following! The MK I arc is completed, and I will probably make a MK2 down the line, but for now I'm pretty proud! I'm thinking about cutting the cord of an old lamp with a switch and connecting it to the arc reactor so I can make it a sort of night light to hang up on my wall in a case or something, or just sit on a shelf :p

Attachments

• zirbjr.jpg
    zirbjr.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 195
  • kbdagy.jpg
    kbdagy.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 2en2h6h.jpg
    2en2h6h.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 2qva5tu.jpg
    2qva5tu.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 209
1. Make sure the voltage for the lamp is the right voltage for the LED. IE don't cut a cord if it plugs straight in to the wall, it has to have some sort of regulator to bring it down. Otherwise you'll be able to tell the fireman what started the fire. Radioshack has some cheap plugs. Just tell them what you need it for. Or maybe don't tell them, they're stupid sometimes...

2. Awesome job.

1. Make sure the voltage for the lamp is the right voltage for the LED. IE don't cut a cord if it plugs straight in to the wall, it has to have some sort of regulator to bring it down. Otherwise you'll be able to tell the fireman what started the fire. Radioshack has some cheap plugs. Just tell them what you need it for. Or maybe don't tell them, they're stupid sometimes...

2. Awesome job.

thanks anomoly40! One of my friends is way more advanced with circuitry and electronics in general so he's going to help me put everything together haha. I tried watching a few videos to help me get an idea of what to do, but I couldn't understand any of it. Hopefully I'll have it done before Thanksgiving and I will post pics when it's done :)

Cool. As a kid and I made new toys out of old toys. I had a bunch of toys let their smoke out and not work anymore. LED are easy, you probably have one of those power adapters laying around that look like the picture below. I'd just go to Radio shack and get the part it plugs into. I'm assuming it ran off a battery in the pictures, just find the "Output Voltage" that matches the battery you used.

97961_l.jpg

What kind of Battery did you use and how did you hook it up?

Attachments

• 97961_l.jpg
    97961_l.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 214
I used an A23 battery (12V DC) and it just touched the wires in the back. Look at the pics I posted and you can see where I twisted the reds together and the blacks together so i made a housing that let me just pop in the battery and have the twisted wires touch each end of the battery. One of the batteries I used actually exploded the other night, scared the crap out of me since I was watching The Walking Dead at 3am in the dark by myself when it happened

disgusted-oh-god-l.png

Please don't die. I suggest using a 9v battery as the A23 outputs 12v at 55mah and the 9v is 200-300mah. Those fancy numbers mean longer run time. You can find a 9v plug at Radioshack for a dollar or so. Plus they don't usually blow up.

Ok so here is my arc reactor NOW running on ACDC power instead of a battery! :)

2lo2kg6.jpg

^Taken apart

2ecg9r4.jpg

^The custom battery holder I made for when this ran off a battery

kycrt.jpg

^Here it is plugged in and beautiful! I just spliced the wires from an old power supply that is actually using 9V DC and soldered it to the existing wires :) Now I have an awesome nightlight :D

Attachments

• 2lo2kg6.jpg
    2lo2kg6.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 2ecg9r4.jpg
    2ecg9r4.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 189
  • kycrt.jpg
    kycrt.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 201
Sweet, now you just need a little holder that says "Proof that (your name) has a heart".

tumblr_m9i4e6g5n61qip1h0o1_500.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_m9i4e6g5n61qip1h0o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m9i4e6g5n61qip1h0o1_500.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 225
O... M... G...

This thread is going to be so incredibly useful when I get to making my own Arc Reactor, though I will probably make two, one for wearing, the other for in the chest of my Mk. IV.

Good Day!, Marvin

Lol I'm going to make a stand for it, but eventually I will do the whole "proof that [my name] has a heart" but it will be for my next one which I will try to make more movie accurate :D that wont be until after xmas when I can start spending money again haha! Ehekky if you have any questions feel free to ask! When I make the next one I wont use these LEDs again. Too much power consumption, 12V is not the way to go, but prewired is definitely a WHOLE lot nicer for people like me who know nothing about electronics

Very nice work. If you plan on a future build, i suggest you look into EL wire or tape. This can be found on ebay or in more limited quantities, radioshack. Essentially, it's a length of wire or tape that emits a uniform glow. It can virtually be cut or shaped into any configuration. If you've ever seen Tron Legacy, it's what the costuming dept used to light up the tron suits. Something to look into. Anywho, this was a pretty cool project. Might have to have a go at it myself. Can't wait to see more!

Fudz

that looks really good. Defo make a display case out of that or maybe a suit to go with it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back