A4 Paper Size Vs. Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYzilla

A4 Paper Size Vs. Letter

By Roland Gutzky Jr.

The standard size office paper in the United States is 8.5 inches wide and 11 inches tall. This is not the case in the remainder of the world, where A4 is more popular.

Development of Sizes

• According to the International Organization of Standardization (ISO), attempts at establishing international standards for paper sizes started as early as the late 18th century.
  • The first such standard was developed in Germany in 1922 and was slowly adopted by several European countries. Finally, in 1961, the ISO published, ISO/R 216, which established standards for "A" sizes. In 1975, an updated version was passed and supersedes the 1961 standard.

The A4 Size

• A4 is an internationally recognized paper size that measures 8.27 inches wide and 11.69 inches tall. All "A" sizes have an aspect ratio of 1:1.41. The largest size, A0, measures 1 square meter. Progressing through the sizes is achieved by halving the sheet parallel to the shortest side; hence an A3 is twice the size of an A4.
  • Envelope sizes have a "C" prefix and are sized according to the folding of an A4 sheet; C5 will fit an A4 folded once, C6 fits an A4 folded twice, etc.

Letter Size

• Letter size paper refers to paper 8.5 inches wide and 11 inches tall. Letter size is a recognized standard adopted by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
  • Letter size envelopes, typically called #10 size, measure 9.25 inches wide and 4.125 inches tall. However, letter size, as described by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), is any piece wider than 5 inches but less than 11.5 inches and at least 3.5 inches tall, but less than 6.25 inches tall.
  • Unlike the ISO standards such as A4, letter size can have different meanings depending upon who is referring to it.

References

Prepressure: Paper sizes
http://www.prepressure.com/library/paper-size

ahhmmm... yeah. and whats the point of this thread in the noob section?
do you know someone who is asking about the two diffrent types of paper sizes or do you have questions like that?

i dont see the reason why posting this, because there are usually no choices to make. my home printer prints A4 and not american letter sizes. the american printer does the same but with letter :)
and those informations can also be found on wikipedia ^^

my home printer prints A4 and not american letter sizes. the american printer does the same but with letter.

I think it all depends on the printer. The printer I have at home prints A3 and A4, but can be set up to print Letter as well, by moving guides in the A4 size tray. As I said, it depends.
A4 Paper Size Vs. Letter...
I agree with harican89. What is the point of this?

yes someone asked so i posted it.....and posted it here because its the only area i can post in since I'm a member for now....and if i posted it here they would not have to go to wikipedia to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back