Aztlan's Halo 4 Rogue + Binary Rifle + M6H + Exo-suit WIP, PIC HEAVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the compliment! Since this is my first pep build, I don't know how much different it would be to build with the numbers. Aztlan's pep files may be missing the numbers, but the program clearly shows which faces connect to their corresponding part with red lines when you hover your mouse pointer over the part. This really takes all of the guess work out of it. As I have stated before, he has done an awesome job on the armor pep files, and so far I have only found ONE MINOR flaw where a tab was omitted. It is a super easy fix and is not even worth bothering him about. :)

Update: I finished the upper right shoulder and will complete the rest of it by tomorrow morning. then comes the torso. WOOHOO!!!!

Here are a few shots of just the shoulder tops with the helmet. (I know a couple of pieces are slightly off alignment, but that is fine, as I still need to shore them up before I epoxy the outside)

SAM_0812_zpse571294a.jpg

SAM_0811_zps878dea48.jpg

SAM_0810_zpsa27c9615.jpg

What do you think so far?

Attachments

• SAM_0812_zpse571294a.jpg
    SAM_0812_zpse571294a.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 324
  • SAM_0811_zps878dea48.jpg
    SAM_0811_zps878dea48.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 347
  • SAM_0810_zpsa27c9615.jpg
    SAM_0810_zpsa27c9615.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 341
That looks great man! That's my favorite kit from h4- there really weren't too many decent looking sets, and this one shines as the best IMO.

That looks amazing kura! Keep it up I can't wait to see more.

The cleanliness of the pepping is unbelievable. I don't know if it's just the colors Aztlan put on there or what... but holy *yoink* man.

Subscribed. Good stuff.

Update: I finished the upper right shoulder and will complete the rest of it by tomorrow morning. then comes the torso. WOOHOO!!!!

Here are a few shots of just the shoulder tops with the helmet. (I know a couple of pieces are slightly off alignment, but that is fine, as I still need to shore them up before I epoxy the outside)

SAM_0810_zpsa27c9615.jpg

What do you think so far?

great work once again. that nose area is tedious at best. this model has a lot of small really small folds, so the pictures aren't doing it justice.

The cleanliness of the pepping is unbelievable. I don't know if it's just the colors Aztlan put on there or what... but holy *yoink* man.

Subscribed. Good stuff.

sir I am offended by your use of language, asterisk symbols around a word is like sand in my eyes. I shall require a shrubbery, find me a shrubbery not to big not to small or I shall say.......NEEE!!!!

aaahhh, just kidding Harry. NEEE!!!!

edit: 5am need I say more

Attachments

• SAM_0810_zpsa27c9615.jpg
    SAM_0810_zpsa27c9615.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 232
Thank you all for your statements of appreciation towards my work. It really does mean a lot to me.

Today was a huge day! I finished the shoulder pepping completely. And if my fingers thought they were going to get a wee break from scoring and cutting, they were sooooo wrong (enter maniacal laugher here)! The reason why you ask?

BEHOLD! All 81 pages of Aztlan's Rogue Torso! (to the tune of $98.25 at the print shop :( )

SAM_0813_zpsd57be1b6.jpg

Also, I started the epoxy process. I am beginning with the shoulder pieces that attach to the cuff. I have worked with epoxy quite a bit in the past, but never in this application. Also, I have never used this type of epoxy. I am using low odor marine grade epoxy. A bit expensive ($70 a gallon), but really worth it. I was able to use it without a respirator and in front of the whole family. They never even noticed what I was doing, let alone any smell at all! The pot life is about an hour at 75 degrees, which gives me more than enough time to do what I need and not have to rush. It was definitely worth the higher cost. Here is a picture of the freshly epoxied pieces.

SAM_0814_zps2c9da850.jpg

Before I started the epoxy process, I stopped by my local hobby store and picked up a bunch of wooden craft sticks. They are really doing the job at straightening out the parts that warped a bit during the pep phase.

With that, I shall now return to abusing my fingers and start scoring the book that sits in front of me :)

Attachments

• SAM_0814_zps2c9da850.jpg
    SAM_0814_zps2c9da850.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 223
  • SAM_0813_zpsd57be1b6.jpg
    SAM_0813_zpsd57be1b6.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 244
Very nice build. Cant wait to see if done. How difficult was the helmet? I plan on doing it also.

Thank you. The helmet was my first ever pep job and in comparison to the shoulders, it was about the same. I spent a lot of time making sure that each score and cut was perfect, and the brush-on super glue was a life saver. I think patience was key, and even with that, I still have to go over some areas and shore them up where it got a bit out of whack when assembling. Nothing serious, just a bit out of alignment.

I just think I need to repeat, your pep work looks awesome. For being your first (compared to mine) I'm simply blown away. Amazing.

Well, it has been a couple of days since my last post, but trust in the fact that I have been a very busy bee! I have been methodically working on my projects in a tedious order due to several factors like weather and aggravating pain.

One thing I purchased recently is something that that should alleviate a huge problem that I think a lot of people overlook with pep builds and later suffer the consequences from. HUMIDITY. I bought a dehumidifier because I noticed that our humidity in my studio was ranging between 60 and 80%. Since paper loves to absorb anything liquid, I knew that I would start to see sagging and other defects due to this. Since that purchase, the humidity has gone down to 38 - 40% at 70 degrees and I am pulling about half a gallon of water out of the air every 24 hours (needless to say, I live in a very wet environment)!

Anyways, last night I finished up scoring all 81 pages of the Aztlan Rogue torso file. That was no easy task for sure. I do admit that it was a morale booster that he segregated the pages by parts of the armor. Instead of one huge file, it gave me a sense of accomplishment each time I finished a portion. Here is the massive stack of finished product, with alternating directions of cardstock signifying an individual part of the overall project.

SAM_0816_zps7e6819b1.jpg

And then, this morning, I started on the epoxy phase for the rest of my completed pepped parts. I only epoxied half (at most) of each part to reduce any distortion. On the helmet, I only epoxied a small portion of the top of the helmet. For all that I did, I mixed 6 tablespoons of epoxy (4tbs resin, 2tbs hardener) and still had about 1 tablespoon left. Here is the progress so far on those parts:

SAM_0817_zps03b4223c.jpg

Since it takes about 3 hours for this resin to harden enough to handle, I think I might just start on one of those parts to the torso!

Attachments

• SAM_0817_zps03b4223c.jpg
    SAM_0817_zps03b4223c.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 231
  • SAM_0816_zps7e6819b1.jpg
    SAM_0816_zps7e6819b1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 232
I got to say man this build keps on looking better and better as it goes. I can't wait to see your torso finished.

At what you're paying the print shop for your pages, I think you would be better off buying an inexpensive printer (I'm assuming you don't own a printer and thus using a service shop) and printing them yourself. Printers don't cost much anymore these days (especially when compared against bills such as $55 and $98 for single armor parts!) and you can get about 300 sheets of cardstock for only about $5. Plus the added convenience of being able to reprint individual pages as needed. By the time you're finished having all the armor pieces printed, I'm thinking you will have paid the shop more than the cost of a desktop printer anyway.

Another thing you should seriously consider when looking at all the unused "real estate" on your pages is moving the parts around on the pages before printing. As long as parts stay within the printable page area and don't overlap with any other parts, they can be as close together as possible to facilitate cutting. It may be like doing a jigsaw puzzle, but in the end can reduce your page count substantially.

Just hate to see you throwing away all that money and extra paper unnecessarily. I have no idea what a Halo 4 Rogue is, but the build is looking good.

I got to say man this build keps on looking better and better as it goes. I can't wait to see your torso finished.

Thank you! I just started on the torso build today (pic below) and man is it going to look sweet! Aztlan strikes again!

Awesome work. Looking forward to seeing your full set.

Thanks! I must admit, so am I :) But, I know I have just scratched the surface on this build so far.

At what you're paying the print shop for your pages, I think you would be better off buying an inexpensive printer (I'm assuming you don't own a printer and thus using a service shop) and printing them yourself. Printers don't cost much anymore these days (especially when compared against bills such as $55 and $98 for single armor parts!) and you can get about 300 sheets of cardstock for only about $5. Plus the added convenience of being able to reprint individual pages as needed. By the time you're finished having all the armor pieces printed, I'm thinking you will have paid the shop more than the cost of a desktop printer anyway.

Another thing you should seriously consider when looking at all the unused "real estate" on your pages is moving the parts around on the pages before printing. As long as parts stay within the printable page area and don't overlap with any other parts, they can be as close together as possible to facilitate cutting. It may be like doing a jigsaw puzzle, but in the end can reduce your page count substantially.

Just hate to see you throwing away all that money and extra paper unnecessarily. I have no idea what a Halo 4 Rogue is, but the build is looking good.

Thanks for the info. I know I complain about the cost of using a print shop, but there is no way I am sending this heavy cardstock through my printer :) That thing cost me a small fortune. I know I could pick up an inexpensive color laser printer that could handle cardstock too, but I just don't have the room for it. So I just bite the bullet and keep in mind that I am supporting my local businesses here on the island :) As far as re-arranging the layout to conserve paper, I am doing this unedited and keeping notes so that when I am finished, I can report back to Aztlan how it all went.

I appreciate the feedback.

Well, waiting for the epoxy to cure is taking longer than expected (oh darn!). I guess the second half will have to wait until tomorrow. I finished the first part of the torso. This is the smallest part which is found at the lowest point, front and center. I was not sure what to expect, but now I know what I have to look forward to for the rest... and I am excited to say the least! Here is what I came up with.

SAM_0818_zps6d266f06.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0818_zps6d266f06.jpg
    SAM_0818_zps6d266f06.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 231
Nice work mate...I kind of have a thing for helmets, and while I've not yet delved into the pepp world myself, builds like this motivate me to try. I really look forward to seeing how the helmet comes out for you in the end.

As to Aztlan's build, great job on the file, and again, gives me hope that I might be able to do some of this myself some day in the not too distant future.

Subscribing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back