Mjolnir Mark V armor WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you :) I was definitely planning on adding supports, though I couldn't figure out exactly where to add them and what to make them out of. Do you have any suggestions?

I've used dowel rods and Popsicle sticks with a dab of hot glue with success. Some areas I would have to glue multiple sticks together to get them to cross the distance. I would describe it like a child gate in a door frame, how it has to "scissor" to expand.

I just went back through my old build thread for an example and it seems imgur has killed off some of my pics :(

Here is one shot that might explain\show better. If you look at the back, you can see where I added one support across the bottom and some in the chest piece. Doing this early ensured the my piece had little to no warping what so ever. I hope it helps!

vdDYMl.jpg

So to recap,

1.) add your supports

2.) lightly apply a few coats of resin (or your preferred material) to the inside and out side of helmet, gradually building up strength.

3.) fiberglass or rondo the inside a tad

4.) remove supports with dremel or cutter

5.) apply another layer of glass or rondo to those spots.

That's what I did, your results may vary.

Attachments

• vdDYMl.jpg
    vdDYMl.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 235
I've used dowel rods and Popsicle sticks with a dab of hot glue with success. Some areas I would have to glue multiple sticks together to get them to cross the distance. I would describe it like a child gate in a door frame, how it has to "scissor" to expand.

Thank you very much for the tips!

Well, I've managed to make some more progress over the past few days. The helmet has been set aside for the moment till I figure out exactly how I want to approach the next stage in its production. As for my next pepped piece, I have begun work on the torso! I've decided that I'm going to pep the front section first, then the back. I'll then connect the two pieces before resining. I've started work on the front piece, and am about halfway done with it already!

IKPlcCe.jpg

6acGe9o.jpg

wDUK9tE.jpg

MzFdK6j.jpg

LUVo7ut.jpg

And just for reference, here is a picture of what the completed torso should look like, along with where I am now, and what portion I'm building as the "front section"

CRpFXKl.png

cv2h84y.png

uF9rIOc.png

zXsDdhW.png

Attachments

• 6acGe9o.jpg
    6acGe9o.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IKPlcCe.jpg
    IKPlcCe.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 256
  • CRpFXKl.png
    CRpFXKl.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 242
  • LUVo7ut.jpg
    LUVo7ut.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 245
  • MzFdK6j.jpg
    MzFdK6j.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 238
  • wDUK9tE.jpg
    wDUK9tE.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 248
  • zXsDdhW.png
    zXsDdhW.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 251
  • uF9rIOc.png
    uF9rIOc.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 240
  • cv2h84y.png
    cv2h84y.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 255
this build looks amazing so far ! you're doing a great job, i can't wait to see more of this build!

Hello again everyone! Since my last post I have finished the front section of the torso piece, and begun work on the back portion! I am going to be away for a few days, so I won't be making any more progress for a little bit, but when I get back I'll be putting all of my energy into finishing the torso piece completely :)

Also, before getting to the pictures, I was wondering if anyway had any suggestions for how I should attach the stomach plate? Since I'm using the Halo 4 Mark V chest piece, the stomach plate is a single piece that just seems to stick to the stomach area. I've been trying to figure out how I'll attach it, but haven't figured anything out yet, so if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Without further ado, onto the progress pics! (P.S. I am planning on adding supports to the torso before resinning, but I'm waiting till I have it fully assembled before doing so)

WtOba0e.jpg

INn1hcO.jpg

UmspqFB.jpg

inno1tf.jpg

pRlJamm.jpg

aXsSFqg.jpg

And now for the beginning of the back:

hoOJdq0.jpg

qtFBrHJ.jpg

oangKqu.jpg

UGp2wce.jpg

gRrFKMr.jpg

8UUwB26.jpg

ipY5Ljv.jpg

PuhiJO0.jpg

Attachments

• WtOba0e.jpg
    WtOba0e.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 246
  • INn1hcO.jpg
    INn1hcO.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 262
  • UmspqFB.jpg
    UmspqFB.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 238
  • inno1tf.jpg
    inno1tf.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 228
  • pRlJamm.jpg
    pRlJamm.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 231
  • aXsSFqg.jpg
    aXsSFqg.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 222
  • qtFBrHJ.jpg
    qtFBrHJ.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 224
  • hoOJdq0.jpg
    hoOJdq0.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 224
  • gRrFKMr.jpg
    gRrFKMr.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 225
  • UGp2wce.jpg
    UGp2wce.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 249
  • oangKqu.jpg
    oangKqu.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 236
  • PuhiJO0.jpg
    PuhiJO0.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 221
  • ipY5Ljv.jpg
    ipY5Ljv.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 8UUwB26.jpg
    8UUwB26.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 231
I haven't made as much progress as of late, as a massive increase in heat has made it very difficult to work without soaking my pieces in sweat. I have however made some minor progress on the back portion of the torso.

First up is about the middle of the back piece:

xMNrABR.jpg

zkp7d58.jpg

Then we've got the middle bottom:

f7s59bu.jpg

yjiLD9n.jpg

tBR2569.jpg

And then we've got the currently still in progress portion of the lower left bits:

tlOFzRQ.jpg

This piece was such a pain to put together
12GZI4r.jpg

And just for reference, here is where that piece ends up on the torso once it's done:

zE7TWDB.png

The temperature around here is starting to cool off, so I'll hopefully be able to make some more progress soon. Once I finish up with the torso section, I'll be moving on to the forearm, and if I scaled that and the shoulder piece right, then I'll build the opposite side of those before moving onto the lower section (thighs, shins, boots, cod) which will largely be custom/scratch built.

Attachments

• zkp7d58.jpg
    zkp7d58.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 227
  • xMNrABR.jpg
    xMNrABR.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 213
  • f7s59bu.jpg
    f7s59bu.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 233
  • tBR2569.jpg
    tBR2569.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 228
  • yjiLD9n.jpg
    yjiLD9n.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 12GZI4r.jpg
    12GZI4r.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 243
  • tlOFzRQ.jpg
    tlOFzRQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243
  • zE7TWDB.png
    zE7TWDB.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 235
Sorry for such a long gap between updates again, life and everything got real busy, and I had hardly anytime for a while to work on this at all. I've finally gotten some time to myself recently though, and have gotten right to work where I left off! As of this writing, the torso's back section has been completely pepped! I also only have one more piece to add on to the front part before I can connect the two, so expect another post in a day or two with a completely pepped torso. Maybe even the shoulders and arms if I have the time :) Anyway, on to the pics!

Mid Back in progress:
r1i0eR9.jpg

66KYmVr.jpg

kcHJvRl.jpg

Upper Back in progress:
TmSuKop.jpg

k439VQd.jpg

Mid and lower back attatched:
U1Heupm.jpg

DS9NwJ3.jpg

JcD43Lq.jpg

Getting everything attached! (The parts are upside for reasons of structural stability until everything was fully glued together)
439jrqN.jpg

MCr2S63.jpg

And complete!!
1GT03Zn.jpg

h89KdvK.jpg

pFSmNQc.jpg

CXevaY3.jpg

J4cz1YG.jpg

8qTnncy.jpg

x2CcRi5.jpg

And that is all for this update! Again, I should hopefully be updating again in a day or two with a completely pepped torso, and maybe even the shoulders and arms pieces if I'm lucky. See everyone then!

*quick edit* I've no idea why the images are showing up smaller than usual, but you can just click on them to enlarge them. If I can figure out how to get them larger like in previous posts, then I will correct it.

Hey, it's me again :)

I am still very slowly but surely working away on this build, so if anyone was afraid I'd abandoned it, fear not :p However, I have run into a small issue, and was wondering if there might be anyone on here that could help me out with it. Seeing as how I'm both a girl, and not a bodybuilder, my arms are nowhere near bulky enough to properly fit the shoulder and forearm pieces. I was originally going to just try and make it work by filling the inside with material once it was built so my arm could rest well enough in the pieces, but I have now realized they're just too bulky. So, I was wondering, could anyone help me make some modifications to the file so that it will fit on my arm? I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be changed to have it fit, but I've absolutely no idea how to actually make those changes myself. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Liking the original MKV path. My favourite as it's classic. When I started my current build I decided to go newer models, halo4 mkv as I thought it would look better than my last attempt which was with original CE files like yours. Late in the build now (paint prep) and I keep looking at my pieces and wishing I had gone original again. Not going back now though. Might do another mkv later. Anyway nice work again

Thanks a bunch Jobe! :) I checked out your build as well, and it looks like it's coming along great :thumbsup Also, I may just be misunderstanding you, but I'm using the Halo 4 files of the Mark V as well, just like you, at least for everything above the waist. Below the waist I'm gonna try and scratch build those parts to resemble the design seen in Combat Evolved Anniversary, but I'm not using any of the original CE files for this build. Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to seeing your build progress as well :)

Keep it up, i did my torso from foam it came out great but yours will look a little better than mine

Hey, it's me again :)

I am still very slowly but surely working away on this build, so if anyone was afraid I'd abandoned it, fear not :p However, I have run into a small issue, and was wondering if there might be anyone on here that could help me out with it. Seeing as how I'm both a girl, and not a bodybuilder, my arms are nowhere near bulky enough to properly fit the shoulder and forearm pieces. I was originally going to just try and make it work by filling the inside with material once it was built so my arm could rest well enough in the pieces, but I have now realized they're just too bulky. So, I was wondering, could anyone help me make some modifications to the file so that it will fit on my arm? I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be changed to have it fit, but I've absolutely no idea how to actually make those changes myself. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I could probably help you out.. what exactly do you need to be done?

Hey again everyone! Sorry I sorta disappeared there for quite a while, I had some serious computer trouble and haven't been able to do much of anything. I finally got a new laptop, so I can get back online, but I am still trying to get everything off my old hard drive to try and salvage all of my data, pics, files, and so on. So long as this one stays operating for me though, I should hopefully be able to start work on the armor again and start updating more regularly. The weather is also starting to warm up again, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to start getting some of my pepped pieces resinned and glassed!
I could probably help you out.. what exactly do you need to be done?
If you're still willing and able to help out, I need to slim down the shoulder and forearm pieces. For the shoulder piece, specifically the section of it that wraps around my arm. Length wise, it's great, but it's way to wide, bulky, and roomy around my arms. I'm not sure if the whole section would need to be slimmed down, or maybe just decreasing the width of some parts would work. Does that make sense?

Hey again everyone! Sorry I sorta disappeared there for quite a while, I had some serious computer trouble and haven't been able to do much of anything. I finally got a new laptop, so I can get back online, but I am still trying to get everything off my old hard drive to try and salvage all of my data, pics, files, and so on. So long as this one stays operating for me though, I should hopefully be able to start work on the armor again and start updating more regularly. The weather is also starting to warm up again, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to start getting some of my pepped pieces resinned and glassed!

If you're still willing and able to help out, I need to slim down the shoulder and forearm pieces. For the shoulder piece, specifically the section of it that wraps around my arm. Length wise, it's great, but it's way to wide, bulky, and roomy around my arms. I'm not sure if the whole section would need to be slimmed down, or maybe just decreasing the width of some parts would work. Does that make sense?

If your problem is just the part that wraps around your bicep, I don't know if any way to modify a single part of the pep file without basically recreating the model and reinserting it into pepakura.

Depending on how the bicep is constructed, you might be able to simply remove some material on the innermost side (the one that would face your torso, and not normally be visible) and tighten in the circle, much like removing a link from a metal watchband. If the bicep piece is too complex and/or too detailed, however, this might not fly.

Depending on how the actual pauldron plate connects to the bicep ring (I don't know if they print as one part or not) you could keep the pauldron plate at it's current size, scale down the pepakura model based on it's internal size (and the size of your arm - If you haven't thought about how you're going to keep it in place, and aren't intending to use a whole bunch of nylon strapping, I recommend you install some sort of foam padding to help keep in in place, and keep it from rubbing) and print only the bicep part at that size. Then you join the full size pauldron to the scaled-down bicep and Robert's your father's brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back