Mjolnir Mark V armor WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though Combat Evolved came out when I was about two, the classic Mark V is still my very favourite. It's part of the reason why I like the HALO: Reach permutations. I look forward to seeing this finished!

If your problem is just the part that wraps around your bicep, I don't know if any way to modify a single part of the pep file without basically recreating the model and reinserting it into pepakura.

Depending on how the bicep is constructed, you might be able to simply remove some material on the innermost side (the one that would face your torso, and not normally be visible) and tighten in the circle, much like removing a link from a metal watchband. If the bicep piece is too complex and/or too detailed, however, this might not fly.

Depending on how the actual pauldron plate connects to the bicep ring (I don't know if they print as one part or not) you could keep the pauldron plate at it's current size, scale down the pepakura model based on it's internal size (and the size of your arm - If you haven't thought about how you're going to keep it in place, and aren't intending to use a whole bunch of nylon strapping, I recommend you install some sort of foam padding to help keep in in place, and keep it from rubbing) and print only the bicep part at that size. Then you join the full size pauldron to the scaled-down bicep and Robert's your father's brother.

Yeah, the way the whole thing is constructed would make it way to difficult to try and build the bicep and pauldron plate separately, but I do greatly appreciate the advice. I'm going to see if there's any way I can modify the piece at it's current size. If not, I'll try scaling it down a bit and just dealing with a slightly smaller shoulder plate than I had hoped for, or getting a hold of some 3d modelling software and trying my best to slim the piece down. Thanks again for the advice Foxtrot.

HAHA, I just looked at your pictures again, not sure why I though they were CE file, I can identify every fold in the torso shots. You got that lower back section super tidy. Later I plan to redo my legs, really not happy with how the thighs came out, shins, meh, see how they look when I finish them, I was thinking of doing the typical later (game later, not chronological later) model style thighs from the mk6 , reach etc

If you give me some measurements of your bicep, I might be able to do you a custom fit.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but if you're still willing to possibly help, I'd greatly appreciate it. The pieces I'm using are the shoulder and forearm pieces of the Mark V from Halo 4. If you need any more measurements other than the ones I've provided, just let me know :)

Shoulder: Length from armpit to elbow is 20 cm, and is about 30 cm around at the widest part.

Forearm: Length from wrist to elbow is 23 cm, and is 26 cm around at the widest part.

My pieces, the upper arm I had to pad the inside a lot to make it fit. The peak of the pauldron bit really only comes up just under the height of the shoulder "strap" of the chest. Which is just as well as any higher and you can't lift your arms. The bottom edge of the shoulder sits about 2 finger widths from the inside of my bent elbow (when it's not sliding down). The piece is definitely a LOT wider one way than the other which was my main padding problem.

The forearm is padded less, my hand only just fits through the wrist hole with much squeezing and forcing. The upper end of the forearm is about a thumb width from the inside of my bent elbow.

Hope these fitting details are of some assistance

My pieces, the upper arm I had to pad the inside a lot to make it fit. The peak of the pauldron bit really only comes up just under the height of the shoulder "strap" of the chest. Which is just as well as any higher and you can't lift your arms. The bottom edge of the shoulder sits about 2 finger widths from the inside of my bent elbow (when it's not sliding down). The piece is definitely a LOT wider one way than the other which was my main padding problem.

The forearm is padded less, my hand only just fits through the wrist hole with much squeezing and forcing. The upper end of the forearm is about a thumb width from the inside of my bent elbow.

Hope these fitting details are of some assistance

Yeah, I think with the shoulder pauldron I just made the first one way too big, so I'm gonna try scaling it down and just padding it a lot as well. As for the forearm, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with, since no matter how I try and scale it, it always ends up being just way too big. I've got no problem if it ends up a tad big and needs some interior padding, but I can't seem to get it long enough to actually fit my arm without being so ridiculously huge I can't even bend my arm. Thanks for the tips though :)

Well after messing around with the scaling and such, I think I've finally got the pieces to a size that, with some minor modifications at a later stage, should work well enough. I'm currently working on assembling the pep models of the shoulder and forearm, so I don't know for certain yet, but I'm fairly confident I've got it this time. If not, I'll just have to try something else. I'll update again here with pictures as soon as I can.

Old time pep guy, I'm VERY impressed with how clean/professional your pepakura work is, and it's awesome how you've been taking so many progression pics (I'm one of those guys who almost loves seeing progression pics more than finished pics lol) although that, I can't wait to see how this looks finished, good luck!

Old time pep guy, I'm VERY impressed with how clean/professional your pepakura work is, and it's awesome how you've been taking so many progression pics (I'm one of those guys who almost loves seeing progression pics more than finished pics lol) although that, I can't wait to see how this looks finished, good luck!

Thank you so much ^_^ It's always wonderful to get compliments like this, and it really gives me all the more confidence to keep working on it, and to make it the best I can. I absolutely love seeing progress pics as well, and will continue to try and take as many as I can throughout the rest of the build.

Still working on putting together the newly sized shoulder piece (hopefully the right size this time), but in the meantime, I figured I'd just post an idea I had here. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, but I couldn't find anyone else talking about. One of the things I've always wanted to do is make my armor as cool and functional as possible. I of course now realize much more what is actually feasible and possible to accomplish in terms of functionality than when I used to daydream about having a totally immersive HUD back when I first played Republic Commandos, but I still strive to add whatever cool features I can to my armor. And now, I think I may be one step closer to my old daydreams. Obviously, this idea will depend on things such as price and size of the final product, but I think this new product could be an incredible addition to armor if implemented properly.

Microsoft Hololens.

Again, it will of course depend upon several factors, including price, size, and if it actually works as well as it seems to. But if it turns out to feasible, I'm going to try and implement one into my helmet. And it would finally provide what I've been dreaming of, a functional HUD, and so much more beyond that. There's obviously also several things I'd need to figure out to make it work without sacrificing the look of the helmet, such as how if I'll be able to have a tinted visor, or if I'd have to have an entirely translucent one, but those things will require the final Hololens product to figure out. In the meantime, it is something I'll be considering and toying with, and I'll of course update here about it when and if the time comes that I can start working on that feature.

Anyway, now that I've gotten that all out, it's back to work on the armor! Now that I finally have some warm weather, I'm hoping to start resining and fiberglassing my helmet and torso pieces, and my next post should hopefully include some progress pics of at least the shoulder piece, if not the forearm piece as well.

There was another discussion on HUDs and internal displays for non visor-ed helmets, a while back. There's a few products out there which can provide a projection onto a near screen. Similar to the Google glass product. None of them are terribly well publicised and took a bit of sifting through unrelated stuff to find. I think though that with so many big name (aand budget) companies working on this sort of thing that it won't be long till there's and more readily available market to shop. What with 'glass' (indefinitely postponed) 'hololense' 'oculus' 'Samsung gear'. Here's hoping it will become an affordable accessory soon!

Sorry I haven't updated in quite a while, but I unfortunately really haven't had any updates to talk about. I've been slowly working on putting together a new forearm and shoulder piece, but most of my time and energy had gone into cleaning up and organizing my work area (previous progress pics reveal how horribly messy it used to be), and other non armor related tasks.

However, I'm hoping to start making some significant progress again! Tomorrow is looking like it's going to be a great day, so I'm hoping to finally get outside and begin resinning and fiberglassing my helmet, and possibly even torso. That helmet has been sitting around pepped and waiting for over a year now, and it's high time I make a strong push to finish it. I'm going to add in some supports tonight, and if all goes well, begin the resin process tomorrow!

The only small issue I'm running into in planning this out, is a small matter involving the fiberglass cloth and the helmet's "fins" (not sure if that's actually the term for them). When I get to applying the fiberglass cloth to the inside of the helmet, I can't seem to figure out a way to get it into the fins properly without it being a total mess and wrecking them. If anyone has any solutions or workarounds for this problem, I would love to hear them.

Amazing pep work. It is so intimidating to me as I have only used sintra thus far. Inspiration for sure!

Amazing pep work. It is so intimidating to me as I have only used sintra thus far. Inspiration for sure!

Thanks! Really all it takes is plenty of patience and practice. If you just take it slowly, step by step, it hopefully won't seem so intimidating :)

Well, I've just finished resining the helmet and letting it cure in the sun for a few hours , though I might let it sit out there for a few more. I'm not sure if it worked right, since in most spots it looks more like it just coated it, rather than soaked in. I might post pics later so someone more knowledgeable might be able to tell me if it's okay or not.

If everything went well enough with the resining, than I'll hopefully start fiberglassing it within the next few days. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get the fiberglass into the forehead fins properly though, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them. Also, should I take my popsicle stick supports out, or just try to fiberglass around them?

Update: Here are some pics of the helmet after resining today

NBIVU4Z.jpg
MRCpCZw.jpg
WgKX19M.jpg
Dgtn9r0.jpg
GPBtf5L.jpg

Inside the Helmet:
GpnkGjW.jpg

Thank you for the advice. I am going to keep studying great build threads such as this until I am comfortable I can pull it off. Again, well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back