Ryno's Xbox Avatar (toy inspired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYNO 666

y9y7yhus.jpg
This is a real life journey to a Gamers Rep. I have already started many projects and as OCD as I am I have decided to post yet another. OCD should be a helmet name by the way. Here is my inspiration starting with TOYS. Yep I'm a fan of Halo in every way. I like to move back and forth between projects so I can focus on perfection not completion. I don't believe in throwing away a project so even a mistake can show you how far you've come.
sytebygu.jpg
Just F'ng Off

ygeqapa9.jpg
ry6uqypu.jpg
e8uherar.jpg

Gamertag: RYNOx666

Attachments

• y9y7yhus.jpg
    y9y7yhus.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 173
  • sytebygu.jpg
    sytebygu.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 168
  • ygeqapa9.jpg
    ygeqapa9.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 176
  • ry6uqypu.jpg
    ry6uqypu.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 166
  • e8uherar.jpg
    e8uherar.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 189
JFO
yby4e9em.jpg
jynusede.jpg
ry8ymype.jpg

Probably the easiest helmet I have ever pepped. :) I know that makes the rest much harder.

Attachments

• yby4e9em.jpg
    yby4e9em.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 164
  • jynusede.jpg
    jynusede.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 178
  • ry8ymype.jpg
    ry8ymype.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 176
Nicely done Pep! That is a very clean model, and that really does make pepping a lot easier. You did a very crisp job!

Thanks! Resin Time!.:)
gyzy3ynu.jpg
a9u3umuh.jpg

Attachments

• gyzy3ynu.jpg
    gyzy3ynu.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 174
  • a9u3umuh.jpg
    a9u3umuh.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 169
Sanding with blue tinted Poly Fiber! This helmet has a lot of big panels so its prone to warpage. I'm going to keep the base as simple as possible. This may need a cheap molding just so that I can get a rigid enough cast to properly sculpt it. Who knows this may turn into a proper tutorial video. I have some new found friends who may help with that part. :)
ety9yper.jpg
6a6ugupu.jpg
seheru2a.jpg
u8y4u9yv.jpg
edy3u8uh.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk Pro Gamertag: RYNOx666

Attachments

• ety9yper.jpg
    ety9yper.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 184
  • 6a6ugupu.jpg
    6a6ugupu.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 171
  • u8y4u9yv.jpg
    u8y4u9yv.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 165
  • seheru2a.jpg
    seheru2a.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 179
  • edy3u8uh.jpg
    edy3u8uh.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 170
Already making arrangements for the molding. Nevermind the ugly visor.:) slapping on the first coat of primer, then into the oven, then primer, then oven etc...
be6aneqa.jpg

Ouch Hot!
atyheta7.jpg
adaby9uv.jpg
8evuruhu.jpg

Hopefully I can put a slick final coat on it tomorrow. That way I can get a good mold. (fingers crossed)

Ryno666.png

Attachments

• be6aneqa.jpg
    be6aneqa.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 173
  • atyheta7.jpg
    atyheta7.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 172
  • adaby9uv.jpg
    adaby9uv.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 8evuruhu.jpg
    8evuruhu.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 168
Spartan IV, I thought your avatar looked really similar to what I had sitting on my shelf, but there's no doubt you put your own twist on it and it turned out beautifully. :)

RYNO, so far its looking great, but along with what Spartan IV said, wouldn't it be easier to add detail now than post-molding? And plus, at that point you can make multiple copies of something that already has quite a bit of detail on it. Also, if you would like any extra references that aren't in the thread posted above, feel free to let me know.

One little detail that i have noticed about your helmet is that it is missing the two symmetrical ridges running down the top of it on either sides. Do you plan to add them later?

check this link out if you want to see a better jfo helmet than mine. It is the one that I used as a guide when making my own. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35012-Kadus27-s-multiple-prop-builds

Yes I do plan on adding all details Post mold. I have already started some individual pieces such as extractor slots, visor seal trim and I will sculpt out sectional lines. Can you show me an example of symmetrical ridges?

Spartan IV, I thought your avatar looked really similar to what I had sitting on my shelf, but there's no doubt you put your own twist on it and it turned out beautifully. :)

RYNO, so far its looking great, but along with what Spartan IV said, wouldn't it be easier to add detail now than post-molding? And plus, at that point you can make multiple copies of something that already has quite a bit of detail on it. Also, if you would like any extra references that aren't in the thread posted above, feel free to let me know.

Yes you're correct it would be easier to add details now, however I intend on making a few detailed variations. The base will have to stay as simple as possible to achieve this. I also have never successfully molded anything this large and this will be a very good starter helmet. My cast will be ridgid resin allowing my big aggressive hands to delicately carve lines without crushing the model. If I do destroy it or make a mistake best thing is I can cast another base. Yes all reference pictures and comments are welcome. Thanks

here is a ridge on one side of the helmet bbdf795e-ffc8-423c-9c9a-254d0eec3991_zps62dedbb6.jpg

Attachments

• bbdf795e-ffc8-423c-9c9a-254d0eec3991_zps62dedbb6.jpg
    bbdf795e-ffc8-423c-9c9a-254d0eec3991_zps62dedbb6.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 116
here is a ridge on one side of the helmet bbdf795e-ffc8-423c-9c9a-254d0eec3991_zps62dedbb6.jpg

That's a nice helmet.:)
I'm having trouble with where your arrow touches.
If you were referring to the trench in this picture, I am going to carve it out.
eguzehuz.jpg

I was also able to top coat today just waiting for it to cure so it can be molded.

8etuhuby.jpg
a3ebe7eb.jpg

Attachments

• eguzehuz.jpg
    eguzehuz.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 252
  • bbdf795e-ffc8-423c-9c9a-254d0eec3991_zps62dedbb6.jpg
    bbdf795e-ffc8-423c-9c9a-254d0eec3991_zps62dedbb6.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 8etuhuby.jpg
    8etuhuby.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 161
  • a3ebe7eb.jpg
    a3ebe7eb.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 170
First pull from New mold. playing with colors. Now for instant padding!

8aru7eqy.jpg
vypu4ajy.jpg
u5apyqyg.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Attachments

• vypu4ajy.jpg
    vypu4ajy.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 8aru7eqy.jpg
    8aru7eqy.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 173
  • u5apyqyg.jpg
    u5apyqyg.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 162
Starting to fit like a glove.
7y5yjega.jpg
9a2y5eta.jpg

Attachments

• 7y5yjega.jpg
    7y5yjega.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 9a2y5eta.jpg
    9a2y5eta.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 159
So you just filled the original helm with what looks like expanding foam? If so this seems like an easier way to mold a helmet.

So you just filled the original helm with what looks like expanding foam? If so this seems like an easier way to mold a helmet.

Yes. I also use it to make the inside padding it's easy to cut plus very comfortable.

The product is Poly Foam F3. It's the same stuff that you would find in a car seat cushion. It's very neat stuff.
A lot of prop builders and artists use it to fill the cavities of all sorts of things. From human horror props , to seat cushions. It can also be use for cast making.

Yes. I also use it to make the inside padding it's easy to cut plus very comfortable.

The product is Poly Foam F3. It's the same stuff that you would find in a car seat cushion. It's very neat stuff.
A lot of prop builders and artists use it to fill the cavities of all sorts of things. From human horror props , to seat cushions. It can also be use for cast making.

So then how do you get the foam out of the original? How do you get all the details or is it just to get the shape?

My original is still filled with foam. I only did it to make the molding process go smoothly. However it wasn't necessary. I can carve it out if I want but probably won't now that I'm able to move on to the cast I've been making. I'm still experimenting with some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back