**Official** Titanfall Pepakura Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have my files been like that? I feel like I was rushing but I'm not sure :p I did measurements, myself for male and my girlfriend for female...

Have my files been like that? I feel like I was rushing but I'm not sure :p I did measurements, myself for male and my girlfriend for female...

Yeah, some of them. Your scale was good, but the post was meant for you both. I took Elusch as an example since his files were the newest. Just take your time and make sure they are as good as you can make them. There is no deadline to have these files out:p I hope I'm not sounding too nitpicky. It's just that it takes a lot less effort to clean up a .pdo than having to cut and glue together the whole model again.

Phew. It's been a long while since I've been on here, but once I got my hands on Titanfall, I just knew I'd have to work on a Pilot Armor. Thank you Jico, and everyone else who has been helping out. Once things calm down a bit in life and I get the projects I'm working on now wrapped up, I'm gonna dive headfirst into this project. Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

Hi guys i'm new to all this but i extracted some weapons and a different imc br pilot helmet. If anyone wants to unfold them they're here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/ZFH-sdqL/Titanfall_pep.html

Cool! The helmet is already included in the first unfold kit for the IMC. I didn't separate the parts and clean up open edges before I put it in, so that's probably why nobody has unfolded it yet. Looking through the weapons I see that they also need a ton of cleanup before they can be pepped. Game models are made to look good in the game, not to be physically built. An example of this are magazines. They clip through the model in order to save polygons. Instead of having proper geometry that just make it look like it has and there is almost no visible difference ingame since most modern game engines has proper edge detection in their shaders.

Here's an example I made with a cylinder in a box to demonstrate how a game model has to be modified to be built with pepakura.

GameModelandPepakuraModelComparrison_zpse41c3d98.png

You can see how much information the game model saves by having the cylinder clip through. It's the optimal way to make models in games since having the extra geometry would slow down the game. It doesn't make that much a difference on an individual level, but when you have thousands of models on screen at the same time, cutting corners where you can is required.

Another way around this is to just move the cylinder out of the box and make the hole manually on paper when you build it. I felt that this was the best way to do it for some parts on the helmets.

Most of the open edges in game models comes as a result of ripping the model out of the game files. Not all the model data is properly converted. Here's a screenshot of the raw model of the smart pistol in pepakura:

Raw_Smart_Pistol_zps8f2e6948.png

You can see that there are a lot of open edges and displaced vertexes. Pepakura Designer normally merge the open edges if they share vertexes that are exactly on top of each other. If they are slightly distorted, they won't merge. You can use a modeling program to fix this manually by increasing the merging threshold and merge the vertexes before you import it into pepakura. But if you have the threshold too high you can end up merging small detail areas together.

I felt that I needed to inform people about this if they wish to try this themselves. These models were never made with pepakura in mind. You can see this on the back piece of the IMC male. The cylinder shapes on the back of models are made to clip through and seal the gap between the two models meet. It's cheaper than actually making the part fit perfectly to the body.

Phew. It's been a long while since I've been on here, but once I got my hands on Titanfall, I just knew I'd have to work on a Pilot Armor. Thank you Jico, and everyone else who has been helping out. Once things calm down a bit in life and I get the projects I'm working on now wrapped up, I'm gonna dive headfirst into this project. Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

No problem! Looking forward to see your future projects:)

Attachments

• GameModelandPepakuraModelComparrison_zpse41c3d98.png
    GameModelandPepakuraModelComparrison_zpse41c3d98.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 335
  • Raw_Smart_Pistol_zps8f2e6948.png
    Raw_Smart_Pistol_zps8f2e6948.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 402
Great work on all the helmet/armor files everyone! Is anyone working on weapon files?
I see an image of the smart pistol (which I want) 3d model posted, but no actual weapon sliced/pep
files... unless I'm blind... which is entirely possible. :)

Jico was just saying that the models weren't made with Pepakura in mind, they were made to be as low-poly as possible for the game. I'm not sure if that means he's working on the weapons, or if it was entirely a warning for those that do work with them man. I'll be sure to PM you if weapons get released, in case you miss them yourself haha.

Much appreciated! I'd be willing to scratch build one myself, but decent images
(L/R/F/B) are hard to come by. For some reason in games, nobody stands still
long enough for you to look at their guns. :D

I will look to see if I have any good reference pictures from the art book that came with the collectors for the smart pistol

I have already started printing the Mcor pilot helmet.
Have someone found the Mcor sniper visor or the full helmet? because one of my friends wants to make it.

I have already started printing the Mcor pilot helmet.
Have someone found the Mcor sniper visor or the full helmet? because one of my friends wants to make it.

I have found them. The sniper models might be the next unfold kit I do.

Sorry guys. I've been really busy the last few weeks with stuff outside the forum. Trying to get a job to make some money before I go to college, practicing to get a drivers license, etc... I also have 2 ODST helmet castings that I want to finish and sell in order to fund my Titanfall helmet mold project. I'm gonna try to get more unfold kits done, but it's a lot of work. I kinda wanna make a video tutorial to teach other people how to rip models, clean them up and separate the parts. It's not that hard, but it takes time to do.

Edit: I forgot to mention, yes I'm looking into extracting the weapon models, but they seem like they need a lot more work done to them compared to the armor parts.

hey jico if you made a video on how to extract file would be awesome I would really like to learn how to do that and maybe you can suggest some programs that are best to do game rips with thanks in advance for your help

I know this is a noob question but how would I go about viewing the full pilot download. I got it downloaded but not sure what to do with it.

I've already got the helm pepped but now I'm looking at the other pieces.

To view the files you need "Pepakura Viewer" or "Pepakura Designer" if it's a PDO file. Viewer is free, Designer isn't much more and worth it.

Wow. This has to be the best thread that i have followed in a very long time. i was wondering if perhaps this helmet maybe in the works?
Titanfall-Screen-1.jpg

Attachments

• Titanfall-Screen-1.jpg
    Titanfall-Screen-1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 365
To view the files you need "Pepakura Viewer" or "Pepakura Designer" if it's a PDO file. Viewer is free, Designer isn't much more and worth it.

It's all OBJ files. I don't see any PDO files. That's why I confused. Its the download at the beginning of this thread and the thumbnail shows the full pilot skin.

He said if it's a pdo the viewing of the file can be done on pepakura viewer if it's an obj file you can view it on pepakura designer which isnt free but worth paying for

You can open both OBJ and PDO file in Designer, if you did not pay for it then you cant save your files.

Under the large blue tital "UNFOLDS" is a list of al of the unfolded parts. If you don't want to do the unfolding yourself, use those parts not the packs beneath the complete pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back