First Post - Star Wars Stomtrooper Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasp89

Seeing as I've had an account on this forum and I've never actually done anything with it, I thought I'd put my current project up :)
I'm not sure if it's allowed, seeing as most on this forum is Halo-related, but I'm making a Stormtrooper phase 2 helmet.
I've been working on this for a while now and I've made some photos while doing it.
ANY help and/or tipswould be much appreciated, I'm still a noob you see :p

Some photos I made while I was busy:
JnI9Yr0.jpg

Pepped

GzLl0ub.jpg

Resined

ir2LUQI.jpg

So far.

Once again, If anybody ends up seeing this, I'm a noob :p Any help would be appreciated.
P.S. These pictures are huge, any way to get them to appear smaller?

Attachments

• JnI9Yr0.jpg
    JnI9Yr0.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 131
  • GzLl0ub.jpg
    GzLl0ub.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 135
  • ir2LUQI.jpg
    ir2LUQI.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 127
I'm not sure if it's allowed, seeing as most on this forum is Halo-related, but I'm making a Stormtrooper phase 2 helmet.

I've seen Iron Man, Skyrim and other stuff on here so why not! What do you mean by phase 2? Are you making an ESB or an ANH helmet? I'm just curious for details cause there's lots of different kinds of TK helms.

Nice helmet just stay clear of giant teddy bears or it might become part of a drum set lol
Teddy bears? :p please explain

I've seen Iron Man, Skyrim and other stuff on here so why not! What do you mean by phase 2? Are you making an ESB or an ANH helmet? I'm just curious for details cause there's lots of different kinds of TK helms.
I think the pep file said ANH, But I think I'll see what I end up getting. I'm not exactly a star wars pro, but I thought that the clone/storm trooper kind of mix was phase 2 and then the final stormtrooper was phase 2? Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know where I got that from :p

Very nice peping!

So I ran into a little "problem", and I could really use some tips with this. I'm slowly getting everything nice and smooth but the top of the helmet is getting bumpy all over. if anyone has an idea on how to get this a bit more round all the way, I'd love to hear it :)
OzISKRrl.jpg

Also, happy easter everyone :D

Attachments

• OzISKRrl.jpg
    OzISKRrl.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 132
Phase 2 generally refers to the clone armor update before the empire comes about. Since you said ANH this could be a pep of what's called a TE2 helmet, one of the most screen accurate you can find. I guess we'll wait and see when it's done! Keep it up

So I ran into a little "problem", and I could really use some tips with this. I'm slowly getting everything nice and smooth but the top of the helmet is getting bumpy all over. if anyone has an idea on how to get this a bit more round all the way, I'd love to hear it :)

It looks like you will need to apply more bondo to smooth out and round the areas where the pep work is higher than the existing bondo. I have run into this quite a bit, and it seems like we are chasing our tails by having to reapply bondo continuously, but it will eventually get there.

BTW, this happens because the bondo sands easier than the epoxy you applied to harden the exterior. The same will happen with spot putty when you get to that stage. It is designed that way, and takes a bit of finesse to get the technique down. As soon as you hit a ridge, you will need to stop sanding the bondo away and start shaping. If there is a pit from the bondo, don't try and sand it down to where the pit is gone, as you can always fill it in with either a bit of bondo, or if it is small enough, spot putty.

Phase 2 generally refers to the clone armor update before the empire comes about. Since you said ANH this could be a pep of what's called a TE2 helmet, one of the most screen accurate you can find. I guess we'll wait and see when it's done! Keep it up
I suppose I misunderstood all that then, but thanks for pointing that out :)

Looks like your headed in the right direction, keep up the good work.
Thanks :D You guys are all really good at keeping me motivated for this, I'm glad I got onto this forum

It looks like you will need to apply more bondo to smooth out and round the areas where the pep work is higher than the existing bondo. I have run into this quite a bit, and it seems like we are chasing our tails by having to reapply bondo continuously, but it will eventually get there.

BTW, this happens because the bondo sands easier than the epoxy you applied to harden the exterior. The same will happen with spot putty when you get to that stage. It is designed that way, and takes a bit of finesse to get the technique down. As soon as you hit a ridge, you will need to stop sanding the bondo away and start shaping. If there is a pit from the bondo, don't try and sand it down to where the pit is gone, as you can always fill it in with either a bit of bondo, or if it is small enough, spot putty.
I think I'll try applying more then, but isn't there any way to measure about? because even if I do get it round, it'll still be different from the other sides, or is that a bit too much to ask? :p
Also, you refer to bondo, I understand because that's what is the most popular brand around this but I can't get that anywhere where I live, so I'm stuck with something called Soriso. Not sure if I should be happy about that because bondo seems to work great, but It's only €3/$3,80 a pot. I don't know about spot putty though, I've searched for it too but I can't seem to find it anywhere. but thanks for the tip :) It's much appreciated, I'll try to give more attention to shaping instead of smoothing

Looking Good!

I think I'll try applying more then, but isn't there any way to measure about? because even if I do get it round, it'll still be different from the other sides, or is that a bit too much to ask? :p

Getting everything symmetrical is not easy, but I will say that with a Profile Gauge, your life will be SO much easier! To see what I am talking about, check out page 46 in my build thread.

Getting everything symmetrical is not easy, but I will say that with a Profile Gauge, your life will be SO much easier! To see what I am talking about, check out page 46 in my build thread.
Took a look at it, and I have never seen anything like it before :p I think I'm just going to have to stick with a bumpy top, I have no idea where to get such a thing

I would suggest watching the videos by Cereal Kill3r Studios on YouTube and his build in the elite section here on the 405th. In them he talks about using a rasp to grind down the sharp pep edges for areas needing to be smoothed. Another thing he suggests is putting super glue on the paper edges before sanding them after the rasp. Grinding the fold or edge spots really reduced the bondo required on my Imperial Guard helmet.

Also he mentions using a sanding sponge or outlet foam insulator as a sanding pad. This plus light force when sanding will help prevent removing too much bondo in the middle areas.

I used the rasp to remove the edgesl until I hit fiberglass. This really did make smoothing much easier.

I would suggest watching the videos by Cereal Kill3r Studios on YouTube and his build in the elite section here on the 405th. In them he talks about using a rasp to grind down the sharp pep edges for areas needing to be smoothed. Another thing he suggests is putting super glue on the paper edges before sanding them after the rasp. Grinding the fold or edge spots really reduced the bondo required on my Imperial Guard helmet.

Also he mentions using a sanding sponge or outlet foam insulator as a sanding pad. This plus light force when sanding will help prevent removing too much bondo in the middle areas.

I used the rasp to remove the edgesl until I hit fiberglass. This really did make smoothing much easier.

I've actually been subscribed to him for a while, didnt know he was on this forum. I'll watch it when I have time, I've got my birthday and my finals coming up so I don't really have much time to work on this :/.
Thanks for the tip though :) Appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back