Halo 3 ODST Helmet Build [PIC HEAVY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybris

It's been a while since I've worked on anything, so me and a friend decided to start an ODST helmet project. I dont have any pics of the initial pepakura stage, but heres a few pics after we finished the fiberglass on the outside. Later today we should be finishing the rondo on the inside. We decided that were going to vacuum form the visor, so we will also be building the table today or tomorrow! :cool

kq5ni.jpg
joxm.jpg
anfl.jpg
lubh.jpg
4z57.jpg
h8xs.jpg
0z58b.jpg

UPDATE: We built a pretty cheap vacuum forming table, it's 12x12. If anyone wants to know what you need to make it, we used:
-8 Shoulder braces (for the frames)
-1 8 ft. Piece of molding (or any long piece of small and thin wood) cut into 4 10 inch pieces and 4 13 inch pieces
-1 Shadow box (this is the entire black box you see) you can get this from michael's craft store (basically a premade box insead of making your own)
-1 Peg Board cut into a 12x12 piece (the top brown piece)
-Liquid nails to put everything together and seal corners to make everything airtight
-Black paper clamps to hold the frames onto both sides of the plastic sheet when finally vacuum forming something

All we did was take the backing off of the shadow box, use liquid nails in each corner to ensure it was airtight,
then drill a hole in the side of the shadow box just large enough to fit the vacuum nozzle into it. After that then
we used liquid nails to put on the cut piece of peg board on the top of the shadow box. Then all that is left
is to cut the pieces of wood for the frames and attach them with the elbow braces and liquid nails into squares,
and walah! Done!

Finished Vacuum Forming Table and Frames:

qimgp.jpg
722q.jpg
cu9p.jpg

j8mdl.jpg

I am curious to see how this works for you. I don't want to sound critical, but I am interested to see if it will be big enough and also if the pegboard will be stout and not bow when suction is introduced to the sealed environment. I only ask because I still have to make mine and would like to know how it works out :)

Nice keep up the work

I am curious to see how this works for you. I don't want to sound critical, but I am interested to see if it will be big enough and also if the pegboard will be stout and not bow when suction is introduced to the sealed environment. I only ask because I still have to make mine and would like to know how it works out :)

XD To be honest I'm interested to see how the vacuu-form table works too, no idea if it will work or not. It should definately be big enough though for just the visor, which is what were using it for. As for suction, I have a shopvac that should be good enough...I also saw someone in a video just drill more holes if not enough suction comes through. Worst case scenario I've seen someone just use a heatgun on the plastic if it doesnt form enough to the shape while the vacuum is still running to reheat it a little so it can shape better. In any case I'll keep you posted :)

I think the shopvac you have will not be enough, i made a downdraft table like the one you made, but i found that i had to purchase a dust collector for it to work properly. It also may work better if the holes are slightly countersunk:)

Looks awesome! Excited to see the final product!!

"I am f****** awesome!!" (Felix - RED VS BLUE)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies :)

I think the shopvac you have will not be enough, i made a downdraft table like the one you made, but i found that i had to purchase a dust collector for it to work properly. It also may work better if the holes are slightly countersunk:)

To play it safe I may drill more holes in the peg board like I have seen someone else do. I feel like it should work since it's such a small surface area, plus I saw someone in a video use my exact same shop vac. If it doesnt work I may drill another hole for a second vacuum, which I also saw someone else do.... And why a dust collector? I'm guessing that had more suction?

UPDATE: Here's some progress after ALOT of bondo work and sanding/dremeling....with a coat of primer over it so I can see what the helmet actually looks like...(a good amount still has to be done before I will even call this finished though)
DSC_0507.JPGDSC_0509.JPG (click the pics to make bigger btw :D)

I made a vac table just like yours, and I found that some duct tape sealing the between the shop vac and the hole and taping down I think three of the sides to whatever table you have it on provides enough suction. I had all four sides taped up and the whole thing bowed in. If you have anything flat enough to cover most of the holes, you could test how much suction is too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back