Myr's ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is pretty cool, but a bitch to put together. So much filing down to make the handles fit. And I'm not looking forward to riveting the straps on, from the inside...
Currently working on the shoulder straps. Just bought the canvas yesterday. Very complex design. Going to take this part slow.

Sent using Tapatalk

Almost done with the shoulder straps. Just need to attach the rucksack buckles, then on to the padded foam. So excited to finish these, because then I can assemble the torso armor!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434605374.897701.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Woops: the buckles are supposed to alternate, not all face out. So the first few hours tonight were spent ripping stitches and re-sewing. Then I added on the buckles to hold the rucksack. This weekend: wrapping the foam pads, combining the pad and tool belt halves, and attaching them to the chest and back armor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434696894.261901.jpg
Speaking of which, couldn't help but get a sneak peek at how it will look with the chest piece.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434696906.249033.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Sewed the toe caps on & sewed belt loops for the thigh plates. Also watched a LOT of OutsideXbox top # videos on the Xbox.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434785592.721297.jpg
Yes, I'm procrastinating working on the foam pads. My fingers need a break from pushing the needle through heavy material.

Sent using Tapatalk

Tonight, I completed the belt and thigh assembly. Sewed and zip-tied the straps and rings in place and looped them onto the BDU belt. I even did a little spin on the catwalk for Allison. Decided I'll need to re-attach the buckles on the inner thighs- they clack together as I walk. Still, feels so good to be at the point where I'm trying on completed components and nit-picking them. We've come a long way in this build!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434877964.008957.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Now that the airsoft/paintball armor I ordered as an undersuit has arrived, I can start test-fitting and trimming or padding as needed. Turns out the gauntlets fit really well without either, so I started assembling them yesterday. Still need to attach the elbow piece though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434981320.017227.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434981333.453733.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks. Pretty much following Bradley's instructions with minor adjustments here and there.

Sent using Tapatalk

Completed gauntlet! I'm a little disappointed there wasn't time to finish the camo paint, but still looks pretty good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435117438.209089.jpg
Also, airsoft/paintball gear makes a great ODST under-armor! Thicker fabric is less revealing than thermals, built-in padding prevents the edges of the armor from cutting into skin, and the collar leaves no visible neck under the helmet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435117452.201315.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

A few more hrs of work, and the foam pads are starting to look more like shoulder straps. Might finish them tomorrow, if nothing else comes up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435125619.074072.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435125628.328998.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

So, didn't exactly finish tonight, but did finish sewing the canvas around the foam and sewing on the attachment straps for the back plate.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435213209.429390.jpg
Tomorrow or Friday, I'll test fit this pretty little combo on the chest and back armor, and determine how long it needs to be before sewing it together. And with a little bit of riveting, the torso assembly will be complete!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435213219.599096.jpg
All that remains are calf-shin strapping, thigh strapping, and shoulder bell attachment, and I'm ready for RTX!

Sent using Tapatalk

Spent most of this evening with my girlfriend (dinner at Famous Sam's, then Destiny Prison of Elders and Nightfall), but managed to squeeze the test fit in. Looks like the shoulder straps are the right length exactly as Bradley's instructions said. So tomorrow I can sew them in place, rivet either end to the armor, and sew the buckle straps on the chest equipment plates. And with that, the torso assembly will be complete! So excite!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435387960.560038.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Update: they weren't exactly the right size. Got them sewn up and riveted on, and the straps were an inch or two too long. Now I have to figure out how to shorten them. Thinking of ripping the front buckles off and attaching them an inch higher, then re-riveting the chest piece an inch higher on the shoulder straps. My fingers can't take much more sewing!

Sent using Tapatalk

So after much adjustment in the shoulder strap lengths, attachment position, and stomach-to-back attachment straps, I'm finally happy with the overall torso fit. Granted the gauntlets need some work, because I couldn't bend my elbows enough to put on my own helmet. Thanks to my gf for helping me suit up and take these pics!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435475096.044749.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435475105.630509.jpg
Still some minor detail paint (black and grey on the equipment plates, blue on the shoulders) and a few stitches to hold things in place (planning a suspender to hold the shoulder straps together), but the big stuff is done above the belt! On to calf/shin strapping (once I find the pants)!

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back