How to size it right on paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoKING25

HI MY NAME IS JOSE AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO PRINT OUT MY FIRST PEPAKURA BUILD A FUD HELMET. IM NOT SURE HOW TO SIZE THE BUILD ON PAPER. I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES TO PRINT OUT THE HELMET BUT IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO SMALL. THE NUMBERS AND THE PIECES ARE ALWAYS TO SMALL I NEED SOME REAL HELP FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS DONE THIS BEFORE. PLEASE HELP ME IM SORRY IM A NOOB AT THIS.:confused:confused

Yes the helmet is always small. i have tried the same one 3 times but when i print it out the pieces dont look big enough, the 3 time i made the parts so they didnt fit the paper and the numbers were so small. lol i need help.

Are you POSITIVE you are measuring your head correctly? If you are only looking at the pieces and NOT even putting it together, then there is no way to really tell. The pieces are not always supposed to really look big enough when printed out. Some pieces can be very small.

Also, if the numbers are too small/difficult for you to read, you CAN change the size of the edge ID numbers. In pepakura at the top, click on "settings" then select "other settings". A window will open and click on the tab that says "others". You will then see where it says "Font size of edge ID". There is where you can select the font size you need.

what size card are you printing on i used A4 card and had to move some of the parts to fit accost the page to get them to fit.
also a easy/good way to size the help is to measure a straight line from ear to ear (for me it was 24cm) and that will mean your head can fit inside the helm.

can you paste a pic of the helm your attempting to make please.also in regaurd to the numbers they are normally very small tbh

good luck

Yes i measured from the top of my head to my chin 10inch. Then i had to convert that to mm and that was 254 something like that. So i put that in the height part then print it out. Is a FUD Helmet. Im using Card stock so that should be A4 right? And i will try to make the tab numbers bigger.

Keep at it mate. You will make mistakes, we all do. But each time you will get better. No one gets it right first time and even if they do, their next one is better.

Don't give up.

SB.

remember to add 2'' when measuring your helmet to allow space for padding. keep it up, i know at times it's frustrating but don't give up.

Ok so the height is 10 so add 2" to that and thats 12" converted to mm thats 305.8mm
Your head is 10 inches? You must be very tall then?? Or just have a very oval shaped head! XD Also, of all the helmets I have pepped, I've only added 1 inch to my measurement and never had problems. ;)

Yes i measured from the top of my head to my chin 10inch. Then i had to convert that to mm and that was 254 something like that. So i put that in the height part then print it out. Is a FUD Helmet. Im using Card stock so that should be A4 right? And i will try to make the tab numbers bigger.
If you live in the US then the commonly used paper size is "letter" (8.5"x11.5"). Even IF you live in the US and your printer takes A4 paper, you can use A4 then. HOWEVER, you MUST make sure that the printer settings are set CORRECTLY BEFORE you print. You can check this thread: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial as I have included in depth information about setting s and such for pepakura.

Well, just start putting it together and see how it fits. You won't know unless you actually start to build it. :p

@HaloGoddess
Does the scale work the same for all the pepakura models?
I mean if person A made helmet A and person B made helmet B, where both models are of the same helmet, but they are in fact different models, how do we know that the scale would be the same for both? Couldn't person B have screwed something up so that the scale would come out wrong?

I mean, it's hard to imagine that all the modelers followed the exact same rubric for designing the armor pieces.

Trying to get a perfect scale in my initial printing is probably the most off-putting thing about trying to start my project. It would be extremely frustrating to cut and glue all your pepakura together just to find out that your scale was off. :-/

Also, assuming I'm considering on starting to go and lift weights, should I hold off on making bicep/shoulder pieces until I reach a point where I am satisfied with my body?

Is there a way to stretch the files out?
I mean, lets say you make a forearm piece, and it fits around your forearm, but it is too short. So in other words, it fits in terms of circumference, but only covers like half of your forearm rather than the entire length that it is supposed to.
If this happens, is there a way to fix it?
I've noticed on many Reach builds that the arm pieces just seem off and not right. Mostly what I see is that the bicep piece appears to be hanging too low, or it simply just isn't long enough.

Oh and lastly, have you ever known any males that have used the female versions of the files? My in-game (Halo Reach) player model uses the female build because it is more narrow, and I like that, but I don't know if I should use the female files for my real-life build or just stick with the male files.

Also, if you are curious about what I am planning to make, please refer to my signature.
It is an extremely detailed list; I list every single thing I plan to do, so it might be hard to read, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't try to list every possible detail in the fullest.
One of my goals is to be one of the few males to have a game accurate undersuit. The ladies here have made us look bad by doing some amazing undersuit work.

WandererTJ said:

The way I like to scale is to measure parts of my body that I can then take the "measure distance between two points" within designer and adjust the scale as needed. So for a helmet, measure from tip of your nose to back of your head and then measure the helmet from those two points. This has worked perfectly for me.

As for stretching a model, you would have to export the .obj from designer, open it in a CAD program, and stretch it there. Then import the stretched .obj file into designer and unfold it.

Here is a stretched shin for example:
wide_shin_zps3ba3c5ff.jpg

As for you using Male vs. Female parts, do whatever you want. It is, after all, your build, do what will make you happy.

Attachments

• wide_shin_zps3ba3c5ff.jpg
    wide_shin_zps3ba3c5ff.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 146
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back