Commander Sarah Palmer - Scout variant of the MJOLNIR GEN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Progress Notes

It looks like they are all really amped to get their hands on the Google glass, so that functionality looks to be on the top of the list right now. I believe that the focus will be on the HUD functions and Voice Command functions. I will keep you all posted as this project continues.

I think Google Glass would be cool to have, I just wish that it was at less 50% cheaper, but hey, I'm an engineer, and a technopath, so I could theoretically make one on my own...

Re: Progress Notes

More details will be posted as I get some of the things off my to-do list done.
Glad to hear an update from you!!!

I just finished getting all my tools.
Now to make a duct tape dummy and then begin.

But first I just have to put the controller down and then decide whether or not I'm happy with my body....
#I'vegainedapound.
#Endoftheworld

Quick Question about HALO Voice Commands

Just a quick question regarding voice commands in HALO. I am compiling a list of commands and functions that will be voice activated for my Sarah Palmer suit and am hoping to make them fairly game accurate, while still being functional. The team managed to bypass the "OK Glass" indicator for voice commands (thankfully!) but I am wondering if there is any reference in either the game content or film content of a Spartan using a voice command to activate a function of their suit.

I know the suit is supposed to interact directly with the user through a neural connection, but there might be something somewhere...

Adversely, does anyone have a list of the kinect commands for the HALO games on the XBone? I might be able to phrase my commands similar to those for the same feel.

THANKS!

PS. I am meeting with the team tonight, so any helpful tidbits received within the next hour will be extra specially appreciated!

If you're looking to make the HUD (*HMD) a little more Halo-themed visually, I might be able to craft up something if you're interested.

Doing a quick rundown of the elements in your above post - doesn't look too complex so far.
From those, did you have a preference towards any style of the HUDs?

PrePostAmmendment: Did some rough paper sketches for the control device thing, and actual helmet interface between classes.
I think that's all the functions you listed a few posts up.

Control Device concept:
http://i.imgur.com/bj9Ra0x.jpg?1

Potato HUD Mk1
http://i.imgur.com/1gK755K.jpg

Thoughts/Opinions/ConCrit?
(This is open to everyone)

E: If you can't tell, this is "pre-alpha" element blocking. It looks automagically better once I start vectoring.
Trust me.

E2: Whoops. Left out the nutrition/hydration timers. Knew I forgot something.

Alright MissingSpartan7 now is your time to SHINE! The embedded systems team at Simon Fraser University are working on the functionality of the HUD with the Google Glass, and have asked for some assistance with the design elements. There is a background image and a number of indicator logos that must be found or created for the purposes of this project. Of course, the more game accurate the better, but we will be flexible wherever needed. If you are still interested (or if anyone else is) please let me know.

Also, I should note, the graphics used for the application will be released as open source (along with all of the software code and libraries), ie. shared for the whole world (READ: all 405th members). Uses of the graphics will include visual display to the user of the suit (READ: Me), projected display to audience of panels/presentations/events/etc., and live-internet streaming (we are thinking a full fledged chromecast with the HUD overlayed on a Helm-cam and a display of the control panel from the Nexus 5). None of the graphics or design elements will be sold or used for monetary gain' by either myself or any member of the embedded systems team. Hopefully these terms don't scare you away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright @MissingSpartan7 now is your time to SHINE!
The embedded systems team at Simon Fraser University are working on the functionality of the HUD with the Google Glass, and have asked for some assistance with the design elements. There is a background image and a number of indicator logos that must be found or created for the purposes of this project. Of course, the more game accurate the better, but we will be flexible wherever needed. If you are still interested (or if anyone else is) please let me know.

Also, I should note, the graphics used for the application will be released as open source (along with all of the software code and libraries), ie. shared for the whole world (READ: all 405th members). Uses of the graphics will include visual display to the user of the suit (READ: Me), projected display to audience of panels/presentations/events/etc., and live-internet streaming (we are thinking a full fledged chromecast with the HUD overlayed on a Helm-cam and a display of the control panel from the Nexus 5). None of the graphics or design elements will be sold or used for monetary gain' by either myself or any member of the embedded systems team. Hopefully these terms don't scare you away.
So, the control device/panel is the Nexus 5? Neat - pulled the specs, and working with that when I get to it.

Now, since I don't have access to a Glass, it's a little harder to rapid prototype the design, since I can't see how it looks, and scales.
Fortunately, I am clever, and devised a solution that lets me see what it will probably look like for you.
cvgFIla.jpg

zhhGuaW.jpg
It would probably be more in focus if I had a DSLR instead of a little digital camera. It does also create a second fainter image, offset slightly vertically, due to how the light reflects back through the piece of perspex.
I've tested this on myself as well, and can easily focus my eye between the background, and the projected image - just in case anyone else was wondering if this method is feasible. You'll need to keep about 5" total from the eye to the image source though, otherwise it will cause to much strain to focus on.
For reference, I'm projecting with my 3" phone screen, and most of the area on the perspex is useable for HUD stuff.

In terms of design, I might use some of the H1/2 elements and styles, as they are a lot more minimalistic, and space is a premium here.

MS7

Attachments

• cvgFIla.jpg
    cvgFIla.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 262
  • zhhGuaW.jpg
    zhhGuaW.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 277
Wow MissingSpartan7, that's really cool!
GeekGuardianDee, in regards to the voice commands, rather than thinking of talking directly to your suit, I would think of things more along the lines of talking to your AI, like Cortana.
I know that doesn't change much, it's mostly a different approach in terms of how you think about it, but it could slightly change the way you say things.

Wow MissingSpartan7, that's really cool!
GeekGuardianDee, in regards to the voice commands, rather than thinking of talking directly to your suit, I would think of things more along the lines of talking to your AI, like Cortana.
I know that doesn't change much, it's mostly a different approach in terms of how you think about it, but it could slightly change the way you say things.

Yeah, but of course Sarah Palmer doesn't have an AI. So I have to go off canon and make one up. We tried 'Katana' for testing the google glass, but they had a hard time picking up that word. It seems to pick up single syllabic words much better that multi. For example, pear seems to work quite well. Maybe i'll have an AI with a a boring name like Tom or Chris, or maybe I'll go silly with something like Buck.

Hey Buck, could you turn the lights on? It's pretty dark in here.

Yo Buck, i've sprung a leak, how about shutting down the cooling system?

I think this will be the first build I will be following religiously... good luck! I cannot wait to see it all put together!

I think this will be the first build I will be following religiously... good luck! I cannot wait to see it all put together!

Thanks! I am heading into the lab at Simon Fraser University this weekend to do some sound tests with the Google glass in the helm and with the fans operating. I am hoping to take some photos and maybe even some video to post here.

Definitely subscribed. I can't believe the detail and form that's already being shown. I can't wait to see this progress. Jennifer Hale is an all-time heart-throb for me, ever since KOTOR. I love Palmer just as much as any of her characters. Keep up the amazing work, and if you get lost in the details, never forget to just take a step back, and admire all you've already accomplished!

So it's been a couple of months since I have posted. I am tied to the table cutting out the female scout chest to start over again on it, so I have some time to post here. Let's see where are things at;

The weather has been too cold to get any resin work done, so all workshop items have been put on the waiting list. I have just found a new workshop space that should be better insulated so I hope to get started on that stuff after everything gets moved over and all set up.

I will be spending tomorrow evening having a look at the embedded systems; the bluetooth controls and sensor displays should be functional, with some of the automated logic programmed in as well. So I get to play with the lights, cooling, power, video recording, sound, biometrics, control panel, and HUD systems. If all goes well we will be moving forward onto more automated logic, the electronics for the prop guns, and the GPS navigation.

I have finally gotten some decisions made on the undersuit material, after about a bazillion months of back and forth and debating my options (okay only like 5 months). I will let you guys know what I will be using when everything is official and I have signed on the dotted line. This may not seem like a big step, but for me this is HUGE, as so much of the system's wiring and foundations will be run through this suit getting started on prototyping it is really important.

I am thinking about getting the 3D prop weapons 3D printed and hacking the electronics into casts of the 3d printed versions. I am slowly attempting to amass a database of 3D models made for 3D prints, and information about the various suppliers of 3D print services. If you have any tidbits that you know of please let me know so I can add them to my database. I know I want to have a few M6Hs and a couple of rifle options, but since the electronics are being funded I might just make one of each UNSC styles from Halo 4 I can find models for. I ran the idea of making the Halo rocket launcher, but make it so that it launches t-shirts, by the team and they didn't laugh me out of the building, so it'll probably happen at some point.

The programmers keep alluding to easter eggs, so we'll see what surprises they manage to sneak into the suit's systems.

So, in short, progress is slow, but that's what happens over Winter up here in Canada. And anyways, all good things are worth the wait, right?

Man this build looks super badass, girl. Found this thread since I'm planning a Sarah Palmer cosplay myself for next year, but just the costume vs the intricacy you're working towards.
Regardless, I'm going to subscribe and watch what incredible thing you create <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back