Destiny Warlock Helmet and Pepakura file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Bear 027

Jr Member
I'm obviously excited to see what comes to be next week with the Beta for Destiny and have been plugging away on a wonderful little project with Jico in the hopes of meeting the release date. I think we're in a good place and we are happy to share this build with the 405th.

While I must be short (I have a real job to attend for better or worse), I've attached some photos as well as the time lapse video Jico put together showing his creation of the pep file, AND...

The video is
[/VIDEO]
:

For the the pepp file CLICK HERE:

Overall for the actual build, because I'm slow I suppose, I've spent about 90 hours pepping, sealing, and sanding. And sanding. And sanding. Oh, and scraping, then sanding. I'll give more details on size later, but I'm 6' 180 with a 7 1/2 head (24 inches around maybe? I'll measure later) (or a M/L military helmet size) and this size is just a bit too small for me to get my head into, I'd recommend bumping up the scale if you think you're head is about the same size as mine. Once inside, its roomy, so if you're a whiz with magnets, that would totally be the way to go, Iron Man style. This is a 310mm Height.

Hope you all enjoy and I can't wait to see what your guardian looks like when you've completed it. Please post pics!

BasePainted_zpscc7756dd.jpg

Warlock2Pull_zps63019cf1.jpg

DestinyHelm7Jun14_zpsaba2c8da.jpg

warlock2_zpsff39ef3a.png

BasePainted_zpscc7756dd.jpg

Warlock2Pull_zps63019cf1.jpg

DestinyHelm7Jun14_zpsaba2c8da.jpg

warlock2_zpsff39ef3a.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished it off. Used cloth for the inside to give it a really deep look and hide the wearer's face. That was an interesting conversation with the ladies at Jo-Anne's Fabrics... But, it works pretty well, you can see surprisingly well, and it's easy to replace (and cheap) should it be dislodged. Just used hot glue along the inside of the cowl and stuck the fabric to it.

Finished1_zps375a8f8b.jpg
The head fin thing is rather heavy, being solid plastic, so I have to counter balance the back of the helmet so it stops tipping forward. I had a devil of a time getting it to stay on with glue (would LOVE to know anybody's glue to smoothon 320 techniques) so I ended up drilling it from the inside of the helmet, and then reinforcing the inside for the wood screw with a half inch piece of wood so the screw wouldn't crack the plastic on the helmet.

Finished3_zps59cd6feb.jpg

Finished2_zpsa4661734.jpg

Attachments

• Finished2_zpsa4661734.jpg
    Finished2_zpsa4661734.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Finished3_zps59cd6feb.jpg
    Finished3_zps59cd6feb.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Finished1_zps375a8f8b.jpg
    Finished1_zps375a8f8b.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 713
Holy waterboiler this ist just amazing !!! and i diidnt know that making a pepekura file is such a hard work (first time see it in your vid)
i hope you keep going and make the full armor

i diidnt know that making a pepekura file is such a hard work (first time see it in your vid)

Yeah. I spent about 7-9 hours on the modeling and about 1-3 on the unfold, plus a few extra hours looking for and studying reference images. But that's nothing compared to the amount of hours Ghost Bear has put into actually building and molding the helmet.

It's coming along very nicely, keep it up!:)

Hey guys,
I linked the pep file and the video file in the post up top. Very impressive work by Jico and I hope my bondo efforts do it justice. That's about 100 hours of building, shaping, and sanding to get it where it needs to be.

I think "glazing" (thats what I call it at least) or just hitting it with a coat of rondo, really helped smooth it out about half way through the build and keep me on track. I love this helmet, it just looks so cool! I'm typically not a big fan of smaller view ports like this, more of a symmetrical 2 eyes or wider view port, but this one looks so detached and malicious. Maybe not quite Boba Fett cool, but pretty cool.

Glad people like it so far, I can't wait to play this beta in the coming weeks, never mind get my hands on the actual game in September!

Holy waterboiler this ist just amazing !!! and i diidnt know that making a pepekura file is such a hard work (first time see it in your vid)
i hope you keep going and make the full armor

Carbon,
I'm not sure I have the patience to make a full set... I love helmets for some reason, so I stick with those. Maybe one day I'll branch out, but hopefully people are happy with the helmet casts I'm putting out there for gamers and fans. Head size is pretty universal, but torso, arms, legs, and...whatever? I couldn't hope to even begin to tackle that and keep my sanity. My hat is off to all you guys who can.

Still though... there's something pretty awesome to be said for that torso armor in Reach...;)

This is fantastic! Great work man. I think it would be an injustice to the internet if you dont make the full outfit. There is so little out there for Destiny cosplay and this helm is excellent work. Give it some thought, you clearly have the talent.

This looks great! I can't wait to start my warlock build. My only porblem is to start one now before the game release or wait till the game comes out and see what warlocks get armor and clothes wise then build....hmmmmm

Dude great work!!! I'm super excited to do some Destiny armor one day too... keep up the great work!!!

Finally finished it off. Used cloth for the inside to give it a really deep look and hide the wearer's face. That was an interesting conversation with the ladies at Jo-Anne's Fabrics... But, it works pretty well, you can see surprisingly well, and it's easy to replace (and cheap) should it be dislodged. Just used hot glue along the inside of the cowl and stuck the fabric to it.

[url]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a632/troygordon2/Finished1_zps375a8f8b.jpg[/URL]
The head fin thing is rather heavy, being solid plastic, so I have to counter balance the back of the helmet so it stops tipping forward. I had a devil of a time getting it to stay on with glue (would LOVE to know anybody's glue to smoothon 320 techniques) so I ended up drilling it from the inside of the helmet, and then reinforcing the inside for the wood screw with a half inch piece of wood so the screw wouldn't crack the plastic on the helmet.

[url]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a632/troygordon2/Finished3_zps59cd6feb.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a632/troygordon2/Finished2_zpsa4661734.jpg[/URL]

Hey bro awesome helmet build and the exact style I was looking for. I've printed out this pep file twice now and attempted the build but the file doesn't seem to have much in the way of direction so I've failed every time. This is my first pep build and was wondering if you had any pointers or could even send me a numerical matching system to help put it together? I know that's a lot to ask but I don't see myself getting this done without assistance. Thanks and stay epic!!

I love this helmet so much that I've decided to use it for my Destiny Warlock build (I'll be starting a thread soon). I've already started cutting it out, pepping to come soon. Thanks for the file and I'll see if I can't do your fine work some justice.

I love this helmet so much that I've decided to use it for my Destiny Warlock build (I'll be starting a thread soon). I've already started cutting it out, pepping to come soon. Thanks for the file and I'll see if I can't do your fine work some justice.

Sniper as versed as you are in this any way I could have some help as I building the same helmet? Also once I figure out the pepping itself would an epoxy casting work just as well as bondo or another fiberglassing kit? The ratios of resin to Gardner seem to be the same

Yeah I've started using casting resign to hat fern m helmets. It's a little more expensive but the final product is better in my opinion. The casting resign gets just as hard as fiberglass if you put enough coats on, and it comes out lighter weight wise. As for ratios if your using casting resign its a 1:1 ration. Not sure if that's what you mean when you say epoxy resign.

Casting resin that's not fiber glass is always a form of epoxy so I'm glad you said that cause my durability hypothesis turned out to be correct. About how much should I mix for each coat so I don't waste any?

Casting resign is a 1:1 ration. 1 cup part A , one cup part B. I generally mix about 1 cup of ea., making 2 cups of resign for each coat. Then as I near a few coats I mix smaller amounts and focus on hard to coat areas, such as corners and inverted spots.

Ghost Bear 027 I pep'd your model and it looks sweat. Just wondering, did you do the basic fiberglass resin technique for the whole thing? And what did you use for the detail parts such as the bolts and lines?

Ghost Bear 027 I pep'd your model and it looks sweat. Just wondering, did you do the basic fiberglass resin technique for the whole thing? And what did you use for the detail parts such as the bolts and lines?

You're lucky you're building yours after the beta released so many great photos to inspire your design. I pepped, rondod the inside, and bondoed the exterior to where I thought it should be. The model was very accurate, there aren't too many cuts or small details like some other designs, but the additional parts were something else. I made the fin, chin, and face bar, and then hardened them with smoothcast and then filled them with rondo. i wish i'd filled them with smoothcast honestly as the rondo had some warping happen.

I also glazed the main helmet with rondo after building up with the bondo prior to priming. Helps fill in gaps and smooth things out A LOT. I highly recommend that. That's the pic with the shiny looking helmet with the Xs underneath.

I then peeled off the paper and fixed what needed fixing with bondo. the chin was done with bondo by hand. Those little port things under the chin area took a little work. I used some drills and a dremel to get the shapes right. I also had to add some bondo behind that face cowl up on top of the head. there is a small rise there that you don't see in a lot of photos, where it moves back over the top.

I'll try to get more pics soon to show you what i used.

Jico did a great job putting it together with the limited photos and videos we had, but the good news for Destiny fans is that there is SOOOOOOO much variation and customization that you can pretty much make whatever you wish! I love it. Good luck and post some pics as it comes along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back