405th Ownership Change, Site Move and Updates - ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
OMG!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THE 405th?!?

First off, let’s back up a bit…

Hi, my name is Art and I recently acquired the 405th from Adam Grumbo. Many of you might already know me from therpf.com, thedentedhelmet.com, and thehunterslair.com. If you don’t know me already, I run a website management company (Movie Prop Sites, LLC) that specifically focuses on managing communities like the 405th.

With that in mind, let’s just get the unpleasant stuff out of the way first. With this transition, you are going to see change… a LOT of change. No one likes change, but without change we cannot grow and improve. You are already witnessing the first of that change now. If you are reading this, you are reading it from an all-new, much more powerful server, as we have moved the 405th onto our own platform. We have also updated the site software to the latest version (not vB 5… everyone knows how bad that is), and we have also made some minimal changes to the structure of the forums and made a couple of forum name tweaks. Again, while I know it is uncomfortable, this and more change will be coming down the road. Please be patient with us because once we come out on the other side of it, things will be a lot better.

Now that we have explained the unpleasant part, let’s talk about the good things. First, I believe this is an amazing community and we are very excited to be able to serve you. We think there is a lot of potential here and over the next year or so, we plan to try some new and interesting things… some of which many of you have wanted, and probably a few things you haven’t even thought of! We don’t want to spill all the beans just yet, but we see a fun future for the community!

I am sure you have questions and possibly concerns, so instead of me prattling on, let me know what is on your mind and I’ll try to answer to the best of my ability.

So far im liking all the changes :)
The only one im not so sure about is when replying to a thread you have to answer a question every time. is that going to stay or is that just happening right now? i know its not going to stop me from posting lol I will just get use4d to it if need be. :)
Keep up the great work

Upvote 0
My signature (as well as that of many others) includes URL links to significant forum threads. When I went to update my signature there is now an error message that BB URL codes are not allowed. Really? Why not? As long as we're linking to one of our own threads, what's the problem?

Upvote 0
My signature (as well as that of many others) includes URL links to significant forum threads. When I went to update my signature there is now an error message that BB URL codes are not allowed. Really? Why not? As long as we're linking to one of our own threads, what's the problem?

Try it again.

Upvote 0
So far im liking all the changes :)
The only one im not so sure about is when replying to a thread you have to answer a question every time. is that going to stay or is that just happening right now? i know its not going to stop me from posting lol I will just get use4d to it if need be. :)
Keep up the great work

You are still being prompted with a question each time you post? Are others seeing this as well? I disabled this yesterday.

Upvote 0
That's awesome news Art. Do you have a ballpark as to when you think it might be implemented? Just curious...

Hopefully before we head to Comic Con. That is why I am tearing through things as quickly as I can. Comic Con is just a little over a week away!

Upvote 0
Wow. I've been a member here for 5 years and finally the future of this forum is looking brighter. I remember the dark times a few years ago when people was crying out for the admins to step up and help the forum, but they never did. When every other thread was a spam bot posting links to scam sites, the DDOSing, mods defending toxic members to stop the drama *cough* PaigeMaster *cough*, long time members leaving to go to other sites, etc... It makes me so happy to see that the forums are in good capable hands now. Keep up the good work Art!

Upvote 0
Wow. I've been a member here for 5 years and finally the future of this forum is looking brighter. I remember the dark times a few years ago when people was crying out for the admins to step up and help the forum, but they never did. When every other thread was a spam bot posting links to scam sites, the DDOSing, mods defending toxic members to stop the drama *cough* PaigeMaster *cough*, long time members leaving to go to other sites, etc... It makes me so happy to see that the forums are in good capable hands now. Keep up the good work Art!

Thank you sir. In regard to the past... well, I can tell you, it isn't easy and I don't envy Adam and crew for some of the rough patches they went through. Hacking and DDOS attacks (which we have also endured at the RPF) are an absolute nightmare and will absolutely suck the life out of you. Spammer are also a constant drain on a staff (as well as toxic members) so don't judge the past staff too harshly. They brought this community through some very trying times and built a platform that we hope to be able to launch from! I am very grateful for their hard work and know that their task was not an easy one.

Upvote 0
mods defending toxic members to stop the drama *cough* PaigeMaster *cough*,

Let's be fair, a lot of the time the mods were only doing their jobs to keep the peace. Have some respect for the staff - they do a pretty dirty, thankless job and while you might want to tear a member in two for some perceived slight, it's their job to stand between you and that member and keep the peace in order. That includes calling people out for a perceived slight.

It's unfortunate, but it's often the case that you have to swallow your pride and let some things slide, as unpleasant as people have been towards you. No matter how much you want to be toxic back, poor attitude breeds poor attitude. It's the staff's job to stop things from escalating.

Upvote 0
WOW. I am REALLY starting to like the look of the site! :D It has a better Halo feel. :p The new header really caught my attention. :)

Upvote 0
This is wonderful. People moved on and things stagnated.. for a long time. With new blood and rejuvenation blossoming.. I just might have to break out a halo build! Art, I look forward to making use of your efforts here.
It seems you earn your place as administrator where you go.

Upvote 0
This is wonderful. People moved on and things stagnated.. for a long time. With new blood and rejuvenation blossoming.. I just might have to break out a halo build! Art, I look forward to making use of your efforts here.
It seems you earn your place as administrator where you go.

Thank you! I do my best!

Upvote 0
This is awesome , I am in Europe right now, and haven't had as chance to be on the website often, and all I can say is WOW. The one thing that I don't want to happen is that in on the rpf for the market area, you have to pay to become "premium", to post selling/buying items. I would really appreciate that NOT happening here, as many of us are building on a budget, and that is just one more expense that feels unnecessary that could go to more bon do or something;) Nonetheless, what you are doing is amazing and I am looking foreward to the evolution of this website.

Upvote 0
The one thing that I don't want to happen is that in on the rpf for the market area, you have to pay to become "premium", to post selling/buying items. I would really appreciate that NOT happening here, as many of us are building on a budget, and that is just one more expense that feels unnecessary that could go to more bon do or something;)

The RPF is a very different animal than the 405th. You are highly unlikely to see us transition a Premium Membership model here any time soon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back