How can we make the 405th great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As mentioned elsewhere, we are very excited to be managing this community! We think it has a tremendous amount of potential and want to see it grow and flourish, but we need YOUR help to do that! This thread is for posting your thoughts and ideas about 1) existing changes as they are made and 2) changes you would like to see made.

Please bear in mind that there is only a handful of us and 10s of thousands of you, so we may not respond to every post or comment on every idea but we WILL read and consider every idea, comment and even criticism. Some things we should be able to implement quickly and easily while others may take time or not be feasible at all. Be patient with us as we already have a tremendous backlog of things that need to be done, but one-by-one, we will get to them.

And you need a medal for whining about every single person who necros a thread instead of just ignoring them.
Shouting "don't necro" really doesn't help, and you seem like the kind of person who probably does that.

Also, messaging people that may not have the time to come and respond is a pretty dumb move.

If you want to purge the world of information that could be needed by somebody, I suggest you first go burn a library down.

I find the fact that you want to do away with possible valuable information to be highly annoying.

It's like, "let me just go put all of my most important files onto a single hard drive and then randomly decide to format it without creating backups first"
Sure seems like a great idea!

Alright, alright, let's keep the hostilities to a minimum here, please. We're here to improve the forum, not devolve into mud-slinging when we can't agree on an idea.

Wanderer, it's pretty clear that you're fairly personally invested in protecting old threads, and I respect that. I really do, and to a point, I agree with you - some threads contain useful, beneficial information that the whole community can put to use. Nobody's suggesting we just throw those threads out of the airlock at the slightest sniff of a member's inactivity at all - again, I've offered a reasonable compromise between keeping the clutter to a minimum and preserving threads for the off-chance that their owners will come back to use them in the future.

Let's look at this objectively: it's very rare that anybody on the forum will go looking past the tenth page of threads in any given section. Threads going past that area tend to be hanging around in limbo, with their owners not bumping them and regular members not wanting to break the forum rules by necro-posting in them. Having threads bobbing around in the general sections for years at a time, waiting for their owners to possibly return, seems like a waste - in the converse to your points, it's like a hoarder wanting to keep something 'just in case', and ending up with an awful lot of junk lying around waiting on a potential purpose that never arrives.

If a member has put together a useful thread with fresh, new information the whole forum can use, the thread should be summed up as a tutorial. However, it makes very little sense to simply grasp at every old thread on the forum and hoard them under the idea that their owners might one day return to revive them. In the vast majority of cases, their owners never do - threads are started with enthusiasm, members get halfway through their builds, lose interest, and their builds are abandoned, with little to no new information or techniques imparted to the forum as a whole. In that circumstance, we're keeping a lot of threads with no new substance to them simply on the off-chance.

Let's not forget: threads themselves aren't the only source of information. We're going to be re-constructing the tutorials hosted on this forum and hopefully championing them to remain current and updated. Far better to keep useful information clear, concise and in one place rather than where we currently are ("Use the Search bar!") and hope that members can sift through a mountain of junk to find the answers they want.

Give the old threads a chance to be revived? Yes. I completely agree with this - it's my hope that every build on the 405th is completed and showcased in time. Archive those abandoned threads for a period and give their owners the chance to return and complete them. However, there also needs to be a cut-off point where we as a forum agree that all information is kept relevant, current, and easily-accessible rather than buried under ten or more pages of abandoned threads.

A compromise can be reached here, gentlemen. Let's try to keep the discussion civil.

Upvote 0
Maybe old threads that have little bits of useful information and tips could be dissected and these bits of info could be gathered in appropriate tutorial threads. That way old threads would get removed and the information is still retained. I personally have found lots of sentence long tips that have made a difference but I also am not a fan of the clutter.

Upvote 0
Maybe old threads that have little bits of useful information and tips could be dissected and these bits of info could be gathered in appropriate tutorial threads. That way old threads would get removed and the information is still retained. I personally have found lots of sentence long tips that have made a difference but I also am not a fan of the clutter.

Thank you for summing up in three sentences what I struggled to in five paragraphs. To you, Sir, I present one of my finest, most expertly-crafted Internets, for you to use as you wish.

Upvote 0
I think an events page would be nice so that all of us on the forum could coordinate for upcoming cons or even just setting up large meetings with other members.

ah sorry I just say that the events thread was just renamed. please disregard.

Upvote 0
Ultimately, we would love to house MissingSpartan7's database here, but until/if we can do that, we have added a link in the nav bar and have also added a link at the top of the Pep page.

Upvote 0
Regarding removal of old threads; I have removed a number of threads (about 150) that had no content at all. I assume it had something to do with a previous migration. Outside of that, you are unlikely to see us pruning old threads. Why? Because you never know where a nugget of great information might be found. Those threads don't pose any risk or danger to the site and take up minimal space, so there is no driving reason to remove them.

What you ARE likely to see us do is reconfigure the sales area so that threads from that section are deleted after a certain period of time. The reason for that, considering potential IP issues, should be very obvious.

Upvote 0
You KNOW people would still ask for it even if we did this.
Lol.

And you need a medal for whining about every single person who necros a thread instead of just ignoring them.
Shouting "don't necro" really doesn't help, and you seem like the kind of person who probably does that.

Also, messaging people that may not have the time to come and respond is a pretty dumb move.

If you want to purge the world of information that could be needed by somebody, I suggest you first go burn a library down.

I find the fact that you want to do away with possible valuable information to be highly annoying.

It's like, "let me just go put all of my most important files onto a single hard drive and then randomly decide to format it without creating backups first"
Sure seems like a great idea!

Why would I care If someone brings back an old thread? I'm not a troll I don't put "don't necro" I have defended a member who had that happen to them for posting on an old thread, so no I don't need a medal. Burning down libraries is legal and you can go to prison for arson for doing it so why are you suggesting that I do that? Yes I know you are not being serious. Now to reason why we keep continuing this discussion, I feel that many of the old thread are just taking up space not all the old threads just "many". The majority of pepakura files in old threads have viruses in them and that's how I got 20 Trojan horses on my laptop back when I joined the 405th. Final most of the information in the old threads is out dated so the ones that are just sitting there with out dated information I feel should removed. If you wish to further continue this conversation please private message me so that it can stay out of this thread.
Thank you,
- Dylan

Upvote 0
Why would I care If someone brings back an old thread? I'm not a troll I don't put "don't necro" I have defended a member who had that happen to them for posting on an old thread, so no I don't need a medal.

Regardless, necro-posting is against the rules, and steps need to be taken to combat the issue.

The majority of pepakura files in old threads have viruses in them and that's how I got 20 Trojan horses on my laptop back when I joined the 405th.

Not the fault of the 405th, and certainly not an issue with old/outdated threads. This can happen from time to time, when off-site storage solutions are compromised. Update your virus protection plans and scan files before downloading/using them. This is common sense and shouldn't even be a part of your argument.

Upvote 0
Hope the rules on necro-posting are adjusted in a reasonable fashion.
Anyways, saw a Tapatalk recommendation on my most recent visit, and I love the fact that this site now works in the Tapatalk app! I browse exclusively from my Android, which is hard to do in the browser. Plus I already used Tapatalk for GrifballHub, so now I can manage both communities in one app. Thank you, whoever fixed this aspect.

Upvote 0
I really like all the new changes, sure does bring the site back to modern day.

There is one thing I would like to mention. I'm a big fan of the darker theme, (I use it for everything) but I think the contrast between the site background and the backing on the post is a bit much. I find it hard to look at. Especially going from looking at the white to looking at the black.

So I was thinking you could darken up the white backing a little?

Upvote 0
This is great, and I'm happy to see several of the suggestions have already been implemented.

In addition to other's suggestion of a "like" feature for posts, can a "favourite" be added? I can't recall the number of times I've seen a great idea, only to come back a few weeks later and have to search for it again and find the search feature somewhat lacking.

Otherwise, looking good so far :)

Upvote 0
In addition to other's suggestion of a "like" feature for posts, can a "favourite" be added? I can't recall the number of times I've seen a great idea, only to come back a few weeks later and have to search for it again and find the search feature somewhat lacking.

Yeah, I would enjoy having like a "Favorite Posts" section that I can access in my Userprofile similar to the "Subscribed Threads" list.
But I wouldn't group the two of them together :S

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd suggest affecting a more military-focused naming convention (Recruits/Infantrymen/Veterans).
For those with full costumes, would it be possible for members to apply to be promoted to groups dependant upon the costume they complete? For example, ODSTs are grouped into the 'Helljumper' group, SPARTANs are grouped under the 'SPARTAN' group, Marines are grouped under the 'Marine Corps' group, so on and so forth.

So I thought of something the other day and didn't take the time to jot it down, but this is the post that prompted me to think about it.

First, I will say that I do like the Recruits/Infantrymen/Veterans naming convention, but it is the rest of the post that has my attention.

I remembered that in some of the forums I've been on, you could give yourself a custom title.
I think that it would be cool if we had the option to give ourselves a custom title IN ADDITION TO our status on the forums (member/infantryman/etc).

Since I've been keeping track of the Service Number thread [here], I was thinking that we could possibly do one of two things.
Option A: Build Type / Character Type
Spartan-I
Spartan-II
Spartan-III
Spartan-IV
ODST
UNSC Marine​

Option B: Service Numbers
Okay, now this one would be a REALLY cool option to have. If you have reached veteran (non-noob) status AND you have filled out your information appropriately in the Service Number thread, meaning that your Service Number is listed in bold text, then you could have the Admin add it below your Membership Status.

Example:
WandererTJ
Infantryman
S-128

[Profile Avatar]

Also, thanks Art for permitting Red text, I really appreciate it!!!

Upvote 0
Oh noes! What happened to the quick reply box? I'll assume it's a temporary disappearance for now. Take your time Art!

Also, I'm absolutely loving these new visuals! Chief on the top there... such armor. much beauty.

Very Like!

oh look i can see all the details on the assault rifle

EDIT: I see why you removed the quick reply function, so stop some of those spammers huh? Good trade off I guess

Upvote 0
I don't see a quick reply option, either. Just the "reply to thread" at the bottom, and "reply with quote" attached to each post, but right next to it should be "quick reply," and it's not there. Also the last post on the page, the "reply with quote" can't be clicked because the page number links overlap and obstruct it completely, at least on my screen.

Edit: same goes for the "edit post" button. I had to use Tab to get to it. Also...since when (and for what purpose) do we have to answer random trivia questions to post?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back