How can we make the 405th great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As mentioned elsewhere, we are very excited to be managing this community! We think it has a tremendous amount of potential and want to see it grow and flourish, but we need YOUR help to do that! This thread is for posting your thoughts and ideas about 1) existing changes as they are made and 2) changes you would like to see made.

Please bear in mind that there is only a handful of us and 10s of thousands of you, so we may not respond to every post or comment on every idea but we WILL read and consider every idea, comment and even criticism. Some things we should be able to implement quickly and easily while others may take time or not be feasible at all. Be patient with us as we already have a tremendous backlog of things that need to be done, but one-by-one, we will get to them.

Art Andrews i will get on it shortly

Edit: Hmm Art, looking at it, I cannot seem to figure out how to edit it to add information. If you can shoot me a pm with how to do so i will gladly get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
When this calendar is deamed ready, will you make a link that Outlook, Google and iCal can display? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks. It would be nice to see events added to the calendar here automatically pop up on my own calendar.

Upvote 0
Ok, boys and girls, I am working on populating the calendar with events.

This is going to take me time to do so, so please be patient with me. If you click on specific days it will give you more detail on the events, and a way to get to their websites for even more in depth information.

If you see a convention, gathering, or are planning a meet up, and wish it to be on the calander, please send me a PM with details.
The details I need are

NAME OF EVENT:
LOCATION OF EVENT:
TYPE OF EVENT:
WEB URL OF EVENT IF IT HAS ONE:
DATES AND TIMES OF EVENT:

Thank you for your kindness, and understanding. I will add events as quickly as I am able to around my many other obligations, and life.

Upvote 0
Just in case someone wants to suggest an event but isn't watching this thread, I suggest putting your tag and this blurb on the calendar page itself.

Upvote 0
If it is about longevity or download speed, uploading photos locally is the right answer...

I have to disagree about this speed comment. Threads having photos hosted at the 405th load their thumbnail images fairly quick, but clicking on them to see the actual image is very slow - 15 to 20 seconds for each photo, which takes a huge amount of time when a thread has, say, 24 photos in it. Photos hosted remotely, such as Photobucket or Google, load nearly instantly when the thread loads. This has been pretty consistent over the last couple months and several different threads. So in my opinion, for longevity and speed, photos hosted remotely yields better performance.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree about this speed comment. Threads having photos hosted at the 405th load their thumbnail images fairly quick, but clicking on them to see the actual image is very slow - 15 to 20 seconds for each photo, which takes a huge amount of time when a thread has, say, 24 photos in it. Photos hosted remotely, such as Photobucket or Google, load nearly instantly when the thread loads. This has been pretty consistent over the last couple months and several different threads. So in my opinion, for longevity and speed, photos hosted remotely yields better performance.

You know a lot of people don't compress their pictures before uploading, so you are usually loading 5mb plus for every photo, when it should be around 1mb or less with near-lossless compression.

Also you would run into the problem of people shutting down their image-hosting-site accounts and, bam! all the images are gone. (ruines a lot of the old threads and builds)

It would be nice to have larger thumbnails though. But for the most part, if none of the images are compressed on upload, it's best to leave them a click away so the entire post wouldn't be slow on loading.

I will stick to using the sites hosting because it will always be preserved.

Upvote 0
After updating my personal email address here, a page got displayed briefly and then disappeared. (What did it say? I didn't have enough time to read it all.) It really bugs me a lot when a site developer assumes to know how long it will take read a message. What if something came up taking my attention away from the screen after making the change? Pages should not auto-refresh or automatically load a different page after a totally arbitrary amount of time. Let the user see the message and click a link for proceeding.

Upvote 0
After updating my personal email address here, a page got displayed briefly and then disappeared. (What did it say? I didn't have enough time to read it all.) It really bugs me a lot when a site developer assumes to know how long it will take read a message. What if something came up taking my attention away from the screen after making the change? Pages should not auto-refresh or automatically load a different page after a totally arbitrary amount of time. Let the user see the message and click a link for proceeding.

It just says thank you and that you will be sent a verification email.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back