ODST Build By Kusak3 and Ashuraa

Status
Not open for further replies.
We made it through day one of setsucon with limited equipment issues. I think Ash had more issues with her costume then I did mine. My issues were restricted strictly to me. As in my back has been out for a couple of weeks now and has required 3 trips to see the back snapper in the last two weeks and I am still far from straightened out. So by mid day first day I had enough.

But anyhow. After an extended wear session in my armor. Rebuilds they are a coming. Been sitting here this morning working on it. I am going to totally rebuild the torso section. The chest plate was low def in this version and I didnt like it anyhow. So that was already on the list. But the base layer for the torso is causing problems as well. Some rework on the suspension for the hip and thigh plates so I can get them off easier to be able to sit down. Slightly smaller width on the chest section so I can actually cross my arms is a must. A better undersuit/torso section that is cooler. I nearly cooked and well we had snow. Arms and legs held up just fine though. I also want to get a soft field uniform done for my ODST that I can wear under the armor. That will give me the freedom to shed armor later into events and walk around for awhile to be able to enjoy the vendors/displays and panels. I was getting mighty tired of people plowing into me when we were trying to go to the different displays. All of the damage on my armor is from that. And part of that issue was simply caused by the event was held in a location that did not offer sufficient space for the movement of people in costumes.

All in all a very successful first outing for my ODST

wow looking great im planning my first build to be ODST in foam how did the plasti dip work out for you'

Sorry I realized I didnt catch this post..

The Plasti dip works well for me on pieces that need to flex a bit. But I am less than satisfied with it when it comes to applying it to pieces with joints and seams. The problem being getting these points filled in and smoothed out because the plasti dip does not fill it in well. I have been trying a lot of different methods to smooth these out and not been satisfied with any of them. My wife has been experimenting with a product called enviro tec (tex). It is a bit pricy and slow to dry but the end result from one coat is impressive. Also the smell from the product is such that she can work with it. She is prone to migraines and the plasti dip. resin and bondo all trip her migraines. So far she has been able to do all of her own work when it comes to sealing her armor with this product. Also it gives her armor a rather solid sound if you strike it. I am going to be going over to using that on any pieces that do not need to have any flex in them and using plasti dip in areas that need to flex.

Okay well obviously made my first con in my first build. Came home had fun and now starting to replace the pieces I was not satisfied with and working to make my armor a bit more friendly to get on and off. So to that end I am currently rebuilding the torso section of my armor. And with that enough babbling time for some pictures.
IMG_1327_zpsfwfol6gl.jpg
IMG_1325_zpsxnpah04w.jpg
IMG_1324_zps6lxye6ck.jpg
IMG_1322_zps7wn4htoc.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1327_zpsfwfol6gl.jpg
    IMG_1327_zpsfwfol6gl.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1325_zpsxnpah04w.jpg
    IMG_1325_zpsxnpah04w.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1324_zps6lxye6ck.jpg
    IMG_1324_zps6lxye6ck.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1322_zps7wn4htoc.jpg
    IMG_1322_zps7wn4htoc.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 297
I am busy learning and getting better with each piece I build. Which makes it fun. The problem being I am also to critical of my own work. I sit and nit pick every detail on things I make which means I am never satisfied.

Well we are getting down to the wire For Sci Fi Valley con. Got some improvements made in the continuing evolution of my ODST

Back of the New torso under layer that I built.
IMG_1368_zpswewncgsc.jpg

Front on View of new torso.
IMG_1369_zps2z6diey5.jpg

Had to get one of me with one of the Battle rifles in hand. It is some times hard for me to just wrap my mind around how far I have come in a little over a year of work. The new torso section is night and day different then the first one that I wore only a few months back to my first con.

IMG_1366_zpsuxept9gr.jpg

Side shot with one of the new shoulders and the old vambraces. They will be in for a replacement after Sci Fi Valley Con. I am going to try to build them out of a thinner foam to make them fit a bit close and not feel so clunky
IMG_1370_zpsmvdgl5g2.jpg
IMG_1371_zpslbf0wtil.jpg
IMG_1367_zpsrtcfzce9.jpg

Started getting the first one of the shoulder Guards plasti dipped tonight. I will be heading of to the local Army Navy store on Tuesday to pick up some Camo pants and shirt to use as a new under-suit. Also picked up some 4 point suspenders and a belt that will have the hip and thigh plates hanging from them.

Attachments

• IMG_1368_zpswewncgsc.jpg
    IMG_1368_zpswewncgsc.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1369_zps2z6diey5.jpg
    IMG_1369_zps2z6diey5.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1366_zpsuxept9gr.jpg
    IMG_1366_zpsuxept9gr.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1370_zpsmvdgl5g2.jpg
    IMG_1370_zpsmvdgl5g2.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1371_zpslbf0wtil.jpg
    IMG_1371_zpslbf0wtil.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1367_zpsrtcfzce9.jpg
    IMG_1367_zpsrtcfzce9.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 274
The kit keeps evolving. I have been using Pep templates to make the pieces and then I keep the templates so if I have to remake a piece if it takes to drastic of a level of damage. Time I am done I will have rebuilt every piece in the suit at least once each time making them better in my opinion

Looking forward to seeing you there Arma358.

Well Ash and I made our way off to the local army navy store today. Picked up some ACU's not the pattern I wanted but due to the fact that I am in no way a small boy I had a limited selection of what fit.. I need to order the tall version of the tunic to get a better fit but on the bright side I can get one from amazon for actually a couple dollars less than the local surplus store. Considering they didnt have the tall in stock at all.. I got a couple layers of plasti dip on all of the new pieces I had ready. And as usual spent the day fighting with spitting cans and constantly having to clean the sprayer tip. Some days. I dont have them pictured in the pictures but I got the kidney plates made after Ash took some pictures today. I also need to get at least the butt plate done. The only other major discovery I ran into is the forearm guards due not fit well over the ACU tunic and they just dont feel right when I do get them on not to mention they are a touch to long and striking the shoulder guards so I cant straighten my arms out completely. I will most likely not be wearing them for most of Sci Fi Valley. Unless I manage to get them rebuilt in the next couple of weeks. That remains to be seen with my desire to possibly have the SRS 99 ready to go by then. Anyhow here be some pictures.

update2%20766_zpsbhzovp57.jpg
update2%20767_zpsb3fnejfb.jpg
update2%20768_zpsqvlfe9gs.jpg
update2%20769_zpsfoaomscy.jpg
update2%20770_zpsyuhlsmaq.jpg
update2%20773_zpslpmc183x.jpg
update2%20775_zpsrtmknlof.jpg
update2%20777_zpsvi3gzgpf.jpg
update2%20778_zpsmu76t0le.jpg

I need to get some colors on the main torso section to bring it a bit more to life. More blue here I come. Personally I kind of like it without the forearm guards but I do agree with Ash when you know they are supposed to be there and they arent well it shows.

Attachments

• update2%20766_zpsbhzovp57.jpg
    update2%20766_zpsbhzovp57.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 240
  • update2%20767_zpsb3fnejfb.jpg
    update2%20767_zpsb3fnejfb.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 269
  • update2%20768_zpsqvlfe9gs.jpg
    update2%20768_zpsqvlfe9gs.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 250
  • update2%20769_zpsfoaomscy.jpg
    update2%20769_zpsfoaomscy.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 307
  • update2%20770_zpsyuhlsmaq.jpg
    update2%20770_zpsyuhlsmaq.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 273
  • update2%20773_zpslpmc183x.jpg
    update2%20773_zpslpmc183x.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 283
  • update2%20775_zpsrtmknlof.jpg
    update2%20775_zpsrtmknlof.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 261
  • update2%20778_zpsmu76t0le.jpg
    update2%20778_zpsmu76t0le.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 266
  • update2%20777_zpsvi3gzgpf.jpg
    update2%20777_zpsvi3gzgpf.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 271
dude very nice work, third to last pic looks like you had a strap come unglued, you should make a vest for your dog for a unsc k-9 unit

It might look a little strange, but why not just cut off some of the front part of the forearm, this way it wont sit up as high??
Just a thought. :)

dude very nice work, third to last pic looks like you had a strap come unglued, you should make a vest for your dog for a unsc k-9 unit

Just dont have the straps on the shoulders tucked in properly. both sides actually. If I could actually take her to the cons with us. I would make her a vest. Would be fun and she would enjoy it.

It might look a little strange, but why not just cut off some of the front part of the forearm, this way it wont sit up as high??
Just a thought. :)

That is a definite thought. I was considering shorting up the elbow guards just a bit as well. Just dont have the time to build new ones before may. I will in the long run being I want a bit more detail in them.

Well been awhile since I have posted anything. We made it through Sci Fi Valley con just fine. I have pictures of that on my facebook side. But the decision has been made that I am going to do nothing more than maintenace and upgrades as parts wear out on this costume. I have decided to move on to Spartan Armor in a complete EVA Foam build. But My weapons locker did receive an upgrade. I gained direct Access to a 3d printer this week and I have spent the last several days working with it. And the end result is my Helljumper has a new side arm from the project. We just wont mention that the Spartan is going to swipe it as needed.
IMG_20150912_144500450_zps3dydspnb.jpg
IMG_20150912_144447144_zpshhsfke10.jpg
IMG_20150912_084806095_zpsgwwcdgtg.jpg
IMG_20150912_084713321_zpsm49pz5eo.jpg

Have some minor issues with the print on the side of the slide caused by the supports. I need to print a second one out for my wife to have and when I do hers I am not going to add the supports to the lettering and see how it comes out. If it goes well I will reprint the slide for mine. All in all right around a 26 hour job to print this out once I print out the silencer. I am going to install magnets in the barrel section so that I can easily interchange out the laser sight for the silencer depending on what appearance we want. I am also going to install some locking pins into the slide so the slide can be locked down to be con friendly but be able to remove the pins so that when we are doing displays can make the slide work.

I also have files for a needler pistol and plasma pistol that I am going to do one of each for our collection. The needler is going to be a fairly long print due to the files I got are configured to have lights in the needles. For the time being I am going to not work on the long gun prints due to time. The printer I am using belongs to a friend and he has a lot of other people who would like him to print things for them. So this week while he is out of town going to try and get the second pistol done and then I am going to back away for awhile till the excitement of the printer wears off and it has a bit more idle time for me to work on stuff / once my friend and I get a cycle worked out between us.

Attachments

• IMG_20150912_144500450_zps3dydspnb.jpg
    IMG_20150912_144500450_zps3dydspnb.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_20150912_084806095_zpsgwwcdgtg.jpg
    IMG_20150912_084806095_zpsgwwcdgtg.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_20150912_144447144_zpshhsfke10.jpg
    IMG_20150912_144447144_zpshhsfke10.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_20150912_084713321_zpsm49pz5eo.jpg
    IMG_20150912_084713321_zpsm49pz5eo.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 235
nice, ooo i cant wait to see a plasma pistol and needler, are those mini figures ones you made?

hello im new and am on a mac and unable to get pepakura due to this can someone help my giving me a pdf of an ODST helmet message me for my email.

sorry for some reason it didnt notify me that I had responses to my thread.

But anyhow. No the mini's that are in the background are from corveus bell's Infinity N3. it is a minature skirmish game that I play fairly regularly.

My 3d printing has been on hold. my friend that has the printer has upgraded to a makergear from the dremel. He had two dremel printers fail in a 2 week period. He is currently so busy with people wanting things printed that He has no time. And with the complexity of things I want printed I have been mostly on the back burner/I havent asked for anything because I am seriously looking at getting a 3d printer for myself after the first of the year. Especially when I consider what he is charging to print and when I worked out the cost of the two pistols I want done in hours to print I would have the money for my own printer involved.

staples has 3d printer for around $250-$400. These are the low end models I know but the better ones run in upwards of 1K or higher. Also, it's not just the printer, it's the cartage filament that are going to cost you an arm and leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back