[COMPLETE] Halo 4 Prefect Variant Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HALO 4 Prefect Foam build (+ Foam Pep Files!)

HERE

These are game-ripped files supplied to us by the amazing Arcanine. It includes all the armor sets and a grayscale version of the textures. She also supplied us with all the weapon game-ripped models in a separate .rar file. The texture files should help immensely when detailing the parts.

HERE

These are game-ripped files supplied to us by the amazing Arcanine. It includes all the armor sets and a grayscale version of the textures. She also supplied us with all the weapon game-ripped models in a separate .rar file. The texture files should help immensely when detailing the parts.

Ah, I knew that was there but didn't realize the textures existed for those files. Looks like you unfolded it yourself though? Or was that just the automatic unfold?

I had unfolded the chest and forearms for foam a while ago, I just not never got around to the build haha.

I like the in game armor's legs and boots more but I like the concept's chest piece more... I like how it fills up to his chin almost, makes it seem more protective and sleek IMO.

You should definitely try to freehand around the collar a bit and raise it up to look like the concept model.

High collars/gorgets always look better in my opinion.

Looking good. thanks for making the pep files too . I wanted to take this one on eventually too. maybe as sort of a two week project since it's such a simple design

HALO 4 Prefect Foam build (+ Foam Pep Files!)

Update, spent the morning making myself a twin... Out of duct tape. Should help in getting the proportions right as I freehand a few pieces. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406948773.181265.jpg

Chest update 1: first chest piece done, all freehand... I think it turned out really well. It's the top collar piece as you can see. Now onto building the rest... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406942564.545991.jpg

Chest update 3:
I've wrapped it around to the back. The back is a little different than the actual suit... I took a bit of artists liberty and gave It another terrace because I thought it looked cool. Still needs detailing work but now I'm going to put the third level on the chest and then the straps that go under the armpits.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407019182.923048.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407019200.671675.jpg

Very nice work, Spartan. I'm impressed - your work with foam is certainly very clean and professional. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with things.

Out of interest: you don't intend to do the helmet in foam, do you? I'm not entirely sure it will work in that medium.

Very nice work, Spartan. I'm impressed - your work with foam is certainly very clean and professional. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with things.

Out of interest: you don't intend to do the helmet in foam, do you? I'm not entirely sure it will work in that medium.

Thanks!
As far as the helmet, no, I'm planning on 3d printing the helmet. It's a good excuse to make a trip or 3 down to my local hackerspace. Plus I've seen a few others that have done it that way and it looked really nice.

Alright so, I restarted the chest because I wasn't really happy with where it was going and I thought it was too small. I've gotten this far on the new one and I thought it looked the right size and I was happy with the higher level of detail, but now I think it's quite big... I think I might have to restart again. What do you think, too big? So much foam wasted D: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407209137.466929.jpg

Alright so, I restarted the chest because I wasn't really happy with where it was going and I thought it was too small. I've gotten this far on the new one and I thought it looked the right size and I was happy with the higher level of detail, but now I think it's quite big... I think I might have to restart again. What do you think, too big? So much foam wasted D: View attachment 1719

Well, it's hard to tell without being there in person.
I'd say do what you can to keep the size down from side-to-side and front-to-back, but height-wise, you said you liked the concept model with the raised collar.
So if you made it longer, by freehanding it and trimming down where the sides meet up, then you could mount some shoulder straps internally. The straps would be placed so that they rest on your shoulders when wearing the armor rather than the actual shoulders of the torso. The shoulders will need to probably be modified so they extend down though, so there isn't a gap.

If you decide to keep with it and want to try freehanding some of the design, in terms of freehanding the sides, what I would do is first complete the front piece and the back piece. Then there are just the 4 pieces that connect the front and the back halves. The upper ones are dark in color in the pictures you provided, and the lower ones are obviously the pieces under your armpit. If you wait till the front and the back are done, it will be easier to modify the 4 connection pieces so that they line up with the front and the back.
The only issue then, would be if the front and back halves are too wide.

Build is looking great!

I don't really think a halo 4 set of armour would suit me personally, but i love how some of these are turning out.

That foam looks really familiar though... Did you by any chance buy it from a store named JTF?

Build is looking great!

I don't really think a halo 4 set of armour would suit me personally, but i love how some of these are turning out.

That foam looks really familiar though... Did you by any chance buy it from a store named JTF?
No, I got it from Harbor Freight. I think a lot of places stock basically the same stuff.

Update: I decided to resize it and actually do my own custom unfold instead of just modifying someone else's... I put it together with just the paper and I think the size is looking good this time... time to cut it out of foam and see for real.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407291212.511581.jpg

For those interested, here's the link to my own unfold. I also updated the link in the original post.
https://www.mediafire.com/?9ropkd9gwyuimfy

I love foam builds, its something I could never do myself. You seem to have a good idea on how to go about it though! cant wait to see it!

I love foam builds, its something I could never do myself. You seem to have a good idea on how to go about it though! cant wait to see it!
Yeah, it's definitely harder than I thought it was going to be. I think I've got the different techniques pretty well down now though.

Another update, front piece again. This one seems to be the right size, fingers crossed that once I get the whole thing built and put it on it's not the wrong size haha..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407299323.144870.jpg

Your foam skills have greatly improved since the beginning of the thread. The torso looks really clean. Keep up the good work!

Another (very late) update... Got the chest connected around the neck, it's looking pretty sweet if I say so myself. Still have to patch up the bottom of the chest piece and the entire back has yet to be started but... I'm pretty excited. Scale seems right on as well, if a little big, but that's okay since there's gonna be an undersuit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407396059.406508.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407396077.538062.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407396077.538062.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 168

Did the whole back today, though there's still a lot of detail work in the middle of that back piece... Now all that's left is the straps under the armpits, a little piece in the front, and the 4 little pieces that go under the main chest piece (and of course detail work).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407482745.665587.jpg

I remain optimistic about finishing by the end of the month, but I'm gonna have to take a break for a day or two to crank out summer homework before schools starts for me in a few days.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back