ODST Veronica Dare Foam Freebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashuraa

Research Team Lead
Member DIN
S015
Ok gentlemen and ladies,

I am starting my own armor thread, separate from my husband's Kusak3. He is making his armor via pepakura. I am going to give my hand at doing as close to game accurate of Veronica Dare from ODST as I possibly can.

I have at this point dug up several pictures of her in her armor, and pep files for her armor. The issue I am running into is that the few pictures I have found of her are almost all of the same two poses, and they are both front view. I have no back or side views of her armor or helmet at this time.

I will update this first post with what is done, and what stages I am in.

Done = Done
painted=Painted
lacqured=hard coat
glued=glued
patterned=in pattern

I will also be making a hand created underarmor, and potentially a cooling suit.

This is the main photo and pose that I have found. It is what I am going to be basing my armor mainly off of.

Halo3_ODST_Dare.jpg

UPDATE!! Armor is finished.

IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

Halo3_ODST_Dare.jpg

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I started off with making a ducktape dummy of my chest. Here it is, with one of mykittens, smoke guarding the project.

IMG_11031_zpsab72fd74.jpg
IMG_11041_zps93f18e6e.jpg

I started with the chest peice.

Here is where I am now.
IMG_11121_zps7572f9d0.jpg
IMG_11141_zps8a5a94c5.jpg

Here it is on the dummy.
IMG_11151_zpsf78a6bef.jpg

I still have to do the outer edges of it, and the small canister type thing in the center bottom. Then I will seal it, and paint.

Attachments

• IMG_11031_zpsab72fd74.jpg
    IMG_11031_zpsab72fd74.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_11041_zps93f18e6e.jpg
    IMG_11041_zps93f18e6e.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_11151_zpsf78a6bef.jpg
    IMG_11151_zpsf78a6bef.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_11141_zps8a5a94c5.jpg
    IMG_11141_zps8a5a94c5.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_11121_zps7572f9d0.jpg
    IMG_11121_zps7572f9d0.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 436
The issue I am running into is that the few pictures I have found of her are almost all of the same two poses, and they are both front view. I have no back or side views of her armor or helmet at this time.

The helmet is just your basic recon helm from Halo 3, lots of pictures to go off of. The trouble comes from chest core and torso, which is different than a normal ODST obviously. Try playing the game and seeing if you can get some good back shots, not real easy but it's better than nothing!

@mowwic The problem there is we do not own aany consoles or console games, so I am dependent on what I can find already posted.

you could buy a McFarlane Dare Figure, I don't know if its is game accurate but it would be a start.

Veronica_Dare_Action_Figure.jpg

I uploaded a Dare file package to the file archive. it is a raw file for now, but you can still open It in pep for reference or if you have 3d modeling knowledge rip the parts out and make them ready. and yes that is the helmet Dare uses, well at least when I selected everything for dare it included the recon helmet. she is oni after all.

h3odstDare.jpg

I hope this helps you, and good luck on your build. derp

Attachments

• h3odstDare.jpg
    h3odstDare.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 433
Crimmson Thank you for uploading that. It will help me attempt my free-build. If I could hug all of you I would. Maybe one day when I can get to a major con.

Now, to updates.
I have the lower edges to the chestplate. I still have to finish the lower center portion.

IMG_11271_zpsa1da5e12.jpg
IMG_11281_zpsf174d23c.jpg

Where you see my thumb is where I need to finish the small canister looking piece.
IMG_11291_zps1ba29b52.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_11271_zpsa1da5e12.jpg
    IMG_11271_zpsa1da5e12.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_11281_zpsf174d23c.jpg
    IMG_11281_zpsf174d23c.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_11291_zps1ba29b52.jpg
    IMG_11291_zps1ba29b52.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have been helping working on my wonderful wife's armor this week. She has experienced some set back's which we need to recover from. As near as I can tell we had a bad batch of hot glue. Apparently there was low temp glue in the package and when she took her costume pieces with her to show them off at the local game store. Well while they were in her car the heat caused the pieces to begin to come apart. She is still trying to determine if the chest piece is repairable or not. And the wrist guards she had done were a total loss in her opinion. So I turned my attention to helping her recover some of her progress.

That being said me and the trusty Band saw a pile of EVA foam and some modified Pepakura files managed to produce a couple of half decent looking shin guards for her. I have one glitch on one of them that I noticed when I was looking at the pictures. I have the slot on the left one offset a little bit toward the right. I will need to heat that piece up and remove it and make another one. No problem overall. But anyhow enough chatter Here they are in pictures.

IMG_1187_zpsee0bd6f9.jpg
The Knee guard is just sitting on top and that one in particular will be replaced. It is just a little bit to small.

IMG_1184_zps3fe8c45b.jpg
The left shin with the black upper section in the center is the one that is a bit off center.

IMG_1185_zps7b4d45d1.jpg

They are now in Ashuraa's hands to super detail with foamies as she see's fit and then I will go after them with the plasti dip

Looking good so far! Watching other's projects help motivate me to finish mine

I have spent the last bunch of days working on her helmet. tonight I am printing attempt number 3. First one I way way over sized. It was really bad. Second one which I have up through fiberglass stage is just a bit to small. As in there is no room for padding at all or a fan if she has her hair up in a bun. So anyhow going to finish that one as a display piece I guess and or possibly give it to someone with a smaller head. So now I will make attempt number 3 just a little bit larger. <sighs sadly> another 10 or 12 working hours of burnt finger tips here I come.

Have to grab some pictures of the one that is to small. It came out really nice all things considered.

Yes it is too small by about half an inch on either side, and my glasses are right up against the visor slot. So we continue to next one and it should be just right. Boy I so feel like goldielocks.

wow sorry to hear about the bad glue were you able to save the chest piece ? I hope so don't give up we all have set backs your work looks very good keep on going cant wait to see how it comes out :)

I recently just did a rush build of my suit based off Dare's look. I was NOT trying to actually be Dare, it just happened that way. :p Here is some inspiration. ^_^ hehe

10650044_827315547291387_6003829971223171185_n.jpg

I'm not sure if you have the file for her backpack or not. I have a pretty detailed one if you want it since I'm not sure if it's posted anywhere. I didn't have time, so I omitted some of the detail. Also it would have been annoying to do out of foam anyway. :p

I recently just did a rush build of my suit based off Dare's look. I was NOT trying to actually be Dare, it just happened that way. :p Here is some inspiration. ^_^ hehe

View attachment 5912

I'm not sure if you have the file for her backpack or not. I have a pretty detailed one if you want it since I'm not sure if it's posted anywhere. I didn't have time, so I omitted some of the detail. Also it would have been annoying to do out of foam anyway. :p

I would love to have a file of the backpack. I have been trying ot figure out how to make it. I am pretty good with a sewing machine so I was tempted to make it out of that, and add wire bracing to help it have shape, and keep the shaping. It would also make it fully functional as a bag in that fashion.

wow sorry to hear about the bad glue were you able to save the chest piece ? I hope so don't give up we all have set backs your work looks very good keep on going cant wait to see how it comes out :)

No we were not able to save the chest piece so we remade it. I am working on remaking the forearms now. We have the hip plates done. As soon as I get some pic I will get them up to show progress.

You could actually still make it a functional backpack using the foam. It's all in how you design it. If you plan ahead and think it through, you can figure out where it would open at and from there you would just have to think on what you want to do in order to keep in securely closed. ;) I will PM you the file for it. :)

hey just putting my two cents here :)
for your back pack you might think of using rare earth magnets you can find them on-line or at a home depot many different sizes and there really cheep,
I have used them with ABS armor parts and they hold great just some thing to think on .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back