Halo 3 EOD Helmet (first build) (finished!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Builder

I have been meaning to start a thread on this for a while now but I first wanted to make it look some what presentable.
So far I almost got the base bondoing done, I still have a lot of patch work and some major areas to work on before I start adding detail.
I made the pep a little over a year ago, so as you can tell I haven't been working on it much, until the past couple of weeks.

I've had a lot of troubles with the symmetry and accuracy of the pep file that I've used. I was very anxious and didn't know much when I started and ended off picking a very bad pep file to work from.

I picked the EOD helmet for a first build because my sister really likes it, and it looked simpler to build then a lot of the other helmets, plus it would be very easy to find a pair of lenses to use for the visor. Now this helmet is not for me, it's for my sister (I can't even fit my head in it any more).

I really hate leaving projects unfinished. Thats why I have decided to finish this before working on any other costume projects.

Note: I do not plan on making a suit for this.

Please give all the feedback you can, I am really looking to improve.
EOD helmet progress.jpg

Current progress: 11/23/2014
1liIjNB.jpg

Helmet painted 2.jpgHelmet painted 1.jpgHelmet painting porcess.jpg

Attachments

• 1liIjNB.jpg
    1liIjNB.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 524
Re: Halo 3 EOD Helmet (first build)

Wow,

The helmet looks awesome for a first build! The Bondo work It is smooth and clean, cant wait to see the rest of this build!

Almost forgot but for the lenses you can buy just a cheap pair of reflective sunglasses as seen here:

sunglass-oakley.jpg

Looking Awesome! :thumbsup
Halo 3 Props

Attachments

• sunglass-oakley.jpg
    sunglass-oakley.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 469

The helmet looks amazing, for this being your first build. For a visor I recommend this to you. Its both cheap and effective, its a good keep for future projects.
https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/193364395/flexible-metallic-visor-material?ref=related-0

Wow,

The helmet looks awesome for a first build! The Bondo work It is smooth and clean, cant wait to see the rest of this build!

Almost forgot but for the lenses you can buy just a cheap pair of reflective sunglasses as seen here:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/sunglass-oakley.jpg

Looking Awesome! :thumbsup
Halo 3 Props

I never knew of the reflective metal! Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be looking into that more for future projects.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I started, using sunglasses. I haven't found any yet though.

Heres an update. I took some time off of the model requests to get some more work done on this. focused mostly on the top. I plan on wet sanding everything when it's done. Al most have to top done. I don't think theres any more detail to add, just some very small spots that need filling.

I am not all that happy with it, but I must say that after I sprayed a coat of primer, it made me feel a bit better.

I know there are spots that are not so symmetrical. But at this point I just want to get this project done.

Sorry for the poor pictures. I had to shoot indoors with poor lighting.

EOD helmet progress 1.jpg

I'll admit. I dont really like any of the Eva or Eod files currently in the archive, because none of them either have the detail or the smoothness I want even though its fixable. But you really made that helmet look fantastic! I hope mine looks that good when I start the Eod helmet.

I'll admit. I dont really like any of the Eva or Eod files currently in the archive, because none of them either have the detail or the smoothness I want even though its fixable. But you really made that helmet look fantastic! I hope mine looks that good when I start the Eod helmet.

Oh so you're going to build an EOD helmet too? Because I will say the file I used sucks big time. I really had to build up a lot of areas to make it symmetrical. And the side hoose thing are completely off, I'm not sure what I'll do about them.

If you're really serious about it, I could make a nice model for you to use.

Oh so you're going to build an EOD helmet too? Because I will say the file I used sucks big time. I really had to build up a lot of areas to make it symmetrical. And the side hoose thing are completely off, I'm not sure what I'll do about them.

If you're really serious about it, I could make a nice model for you to use.

Im serious about it, I just dont know when im going to get to it. I want to make the Mk VI using the files SirPalesalot and Robot Chicken are making. After that I want to make the rest of the permutations. My goal used to be a Reach armory but i changed to Halo 3 since the sets are a LOT less. I actually unfolded the scout for it for my last upload, and the Eva I did was for it to, (Thought the Eva is not as smooth as I would like but its much better for visor details.)

TL;DR version, I would like one, but i have no idea when im going to start, though I am collecting files. Either way if you do I would be happy to unfold and throw it up since so far the only one anybody has is very under detailed.

Your EOD is looking great! I've always liked that version of the helmet. I even tried to make one myself. I failed miserably lol. I would be interested in seeing a more accurate file for this helmet. The current file is lacking so much I feel any update to the file would be welcomed. I would tackle that helmet myself, but I already have enough on my plate right now.

Im serious about it, I just dont know when im going to get to it. I want to make the Mk VI using the files SirPalesalot and Robot Chicken are making. After that I want to make the rest of the permutations. My goal used to be a Reach armory but i changed to Halo 3 since the sets are a LOT less. I actually unfolded the scout for it for my last upload, and the Eva I did was for it to, (Thought the Eva is not as smooth as I would like but its much better for visor details.)

Your EOD is looking great! I've always liked that version of the helmet. I even tried to make one myself. I failed miserably lol. I would be interested in seeing a more accurate file for this helmet. The current file is lacking so much I feel any update to the file would be welcomed. I would tackle that helmet myself, but I already have enough on my plate right now.

Seeing that a few people are interested, I might make a better model in the future.

Heres another update. As always, I wanted to get quite a bit more done before showing it. My can of primer was at the end of it's life so there are a lot of areas with too much primer built up (the chalkiness), Plus I was spraying in the dark :behave I wet sanded everything before priming, but like I thought would happen, the primer just takes away the effort. Next I'll try lightly wet sanding the primer.

I was lacking reference from day one, and it was really hindering my work, so I decided to go back and play good-old Halo 3 on legendary to unlock the helmet so I could gather my own reference (I never got to play Halo 3 in it's hayday). And so I did. After that I realized all the more on how far off this build really is. So I started cutting and reconstructing the side pieces to be more accurate, because these were bugging me the most. As for the rest, I'll just leave it, because it would be way to much work to rebuild half the helmet.

Anyways I hope you will enjoy, only a few little things left to do and I'll be on to painting (cant wait!). The last image is just reference to some people on how I wanted to build up things.
EOD helmet progress 2.jpg
EOD helmet progress 3.jpg
EOD helmet progress 4.jpg

I tried to work with foam and it was a disaster! I couldn't even do one part of one piece! Oh the horrors :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back