Halo 3 EOD Helmet (first build) (finished!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Halo 3 EOD Helmet (first build)

I tried to work with foam and it was a disaster! I couldn't even do one part of one piece! Oh the horrors :p

Well this is not foam. I only used the foam to mask off the area to be built up, it works really well for this.

Well this is not foam. I only used the foam to mask off the area to be built up, it works really well for this.
Oops, sorry about that, I was just looking at the pretty pictures and that was the impression I got! I'll go back and read the thread :p

Just a small update! Cut out the eyes and fixed some small details. We just started getting snow here so I was able to get some better pictures outside.
I just applied my first coat of paint (base) I will upload a picture of that soon. (it looks really kool). Please give any feedback that you can.
Helmet progress 4.jpg

Master builder indeed!
I'm not even a fan of the EOD, but this is just such excellent craftsmanship throughout. You make it look good, haha
Well done, can't wait to see it with some paint :thumbsup

Master builder indeed!
I'm not even a fan of the EOD, but this is just such excellent craftsmanship throughout. You make it look good, haha
Well done, can't wait to see it with some paint :thumbsup

Thanks! I think I chose the helmet for it's simplicity. I will be painting it today, so I may post another update soon.

I got it all done! Well for the most part anyway. I'll be updating with some pictures very soon, (hopefully tonight if can get good light)

Ok here they are!

I worked on it to get it ready for our first snowboarding run of the year. I only got a couple runs in with it on because I was having some very serious fogging issues, and it was very hard to breathe.

I'm thinking about possibly adding some vents and some sort of nose cup, like what firefighters use on their SCBA masks to stop fogging (so you're not breathing on the visor).

I haven't been able to find a cheap pair of sunglasses with the chrome finish. So I just threw in some lenses from an extremely tinted pair that I had (no chrome).

I also added all the necessary padding just incase I did manage to crash. I came up with my own idea for a sort of liner to go around the edge to seal it. All I used was some 1/16th or so thick EVA foam, that I worked out a bit by stretching the outer edge, and glueing it about 5/8th from the edge of the helmet. I'm am happy with the results, definitely stops the flow of air and insulates everything.

I wanted to give everything a little material definition, so the rubbery parts (around the eyes and back) are flat black, while the metal is a pearlescent black with some of the inlays being a pearl grey, and the red was just plain metallic. Like I anticipated, when I applied the mate-clear, it took away most of the pearl effect (sorry I don't have any pictures of just the pearl). I was aiming for a finish that looked very close to what it does in-game, the flat black in the pictures is a perfect example of what I was thinking in terms of how the light bounces off of it.

I was aiming for some slight wear, but no battle damage. So I first applied a reflective metallic paint to simulate my metal. I was going to scratch down to this layer to get a realistic effect. But I didn't apply a clear over it, so I ended up scraping right down to the bondo. So a lot of the scrapes were repainted by hand.

I also wanted to incorporate the 405th symbol somewhere on the build, I had a few areas in mind, on each cheek, on the front inset red piece, or where it is now, but I didn't want both visible from the front at the same time, so I went with the sides. I really was hoping to get the pear effect to kick in on the symbol, so I painted it with a flat-black on top of the pearl-black, and it worked untill the clear was applied. (smallest stencil I've made yet, just over 1.5 inches) Art Andrews did I use the symbol ok? I wasn't sure if I was suppose to use the ranks or not.

I will take some better pictures outside where theres better lighting, hopefully tomorrow. Please don't mind the couple of scrapes on the bottom (my snowboard touched it), I plan on fixing them along with possibly cutting the opening a tad bit bigger around the ears, and sealing of the edge of the foam with something black. I may wet-sand and do another coat of clear.

Well thats a lot to read! Anyways, please give any feedback you can. Constructive criticism is very helpful.

Helmet painting porcess.jpg
Helmet painted 1.jpg
Helmet painted 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks awesome :D
Love to see more EOD helmets being made, they have to be one of my favourite Halo helmets.

[emoji122] looks great. Is that a rubber or foam edging you used around the neck opening?

Thanks! It's foam, about 1/16 inch thick. It actually work quite good. It seals right around a hood, makes it really hard to breath. But I'll be modifying that along with coming up with some stuff to battle against fogging (all for snowboarding).

If you're after some vents for air intake, the front ends of your rebreather boxes could happily fit some fans and a little mesh for pulling some much-needed air in. We don't want you falling over while you're on a deployment!

I love this helmet, The subtle weathering makes it look really good. I might have to take a note from your book when I start weathering my armor. And by the way, could you give me the name and brand of the main paint color of the helm? It looks about the same color as the next helmet I was going to work on.

savagehunter yeah I want to make it at least functional. I tried it for my first snowboarding trip this year and had a huge problem with the fogging on the supper shaded lenses, I'm basically breathing right on them now. And the lack of oxygen was terrible.
@Arcanine Yeah I was trying to figure out a good spot to fit some vents. I was thinking of possibly turning the little side vents into real ones, or adding some on the bottom side on the nose piece out of sight. I don't think I will add any fans simply because I don't have a need for them (well they could pass air better, but nevertheless it will be very cold). I think I'll reserve the front for any lights I may add. But that is a good idea, thanks!

I am going to try and make my own nose cup out of foam, and I'll have to direct the air in and out of this. If I manage to get a good seal with my face, it should almost entirely remove the fogging issue. Another idea I have is gluing of another set of lenses to the back side of the ones I got, to form a double lens (like most goggles and house windows). This should also help with the fogging as well.

SIKAXIS I used rustoleum flat black for the base, Krylon metallic silver for the scratches, Createx wicked black and silver pearlescent for the metal parts (their auto-air line of paints will look identical for the pearls/metallics) (you must spray this over a base like black or white, depending on which will determine the outcome, because these pearls are like semi-opaque, I used an airbrush for spraying it, it takes a few coats to achieve full coverage). I used an old can of some duplicolor red auto body paint that I had laying around (metallic). And rustoleum matte clear (painters touch). As you can see the clear took away most of the pearl effect and darkened the red a bit. Oh and the symbol and rubber parts are just some flat blacks. (everything was cleared). Also the pearl black seemed to lighten up and turn a little blueish grey when it was cleared. Oh and I didn't achieve full coverage with the pearl silver because I didn't want it to be too bright.

So yeah, just look into createx paints, I would recommend wicked colors, they should be the easiest to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I love the colors you choose for this helmet. The detail you added looks awesome too. Really nice work for the file you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back