Pepakura Reach Custom Suit: S-144. Pic Heavy [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing build dude!

Strange thing to focus on but how did you do the inside of your helmet? That looks damn professional (as does the rest of the suit) and comfy:)

Amazing build dude!

Strange thing to focus on but how did you do the inside of your helmet? That looks damn professional (as does the rest of the suit) and comfy:)

First I made sure the paintjob was 100% finished then added in the main things like the visor, fans, vents, batteries and the flashlight. Then once they were properly fitted, glued down and insulated with electrical tape, I just cut various pieces of EVA foam and that grey squishy foam and glued them all on in a way that was aesthetically pleasing but also functional. Nothing overly complicated :) although I did keep the breather parts on each side hollow to act as an air flow system for the fans to move air through the vents, I'm pretty happy with that.
Also, as a note to anyone planning on using those small 12V batteries, they have a very short lifespan...

I did some filming and photo shooting today with eth duggy who is wearing my old foam ODST suit.
DSC_4945.jpg DSC_4952.JPG DSC_4960.JPG DSC_4963.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering now you made the helm's inside and visor?
The visor I used was the iridium coloured visor material sold by Icon Props

As for the helmet interior, I believe you're not the first to ask:
First I made sure the paintjob was 100% finished then added in the main things like the visor, fans, vents, batteries and the flashlight. Then once they were properly fitted, glued down and insulated with electrical tape, I just cut various pieces of EVA foam and that grey squishy foam and glued them all on in a way that was aesthetically pleasing but also functional. Nothing overly complicated :) although I did keep the breather parts on each side hollow to act as an air flow system for the fans to move air through the vents, I'm pretty happy with that.
Also, as a note to anyone planning on using those small 12V batteries, they have a very short lifespan...

The visor I used was the iridium coloured visor material sold by Icon Props

As for the helmet interior, I believe you're not the first to ask:
how did you make the helm plastic? I tried molding it, cutting it out of leftover plastic and etc...I cant make it quite right...

how did you make the helm plastic? I tried molding it, cutting it out of leftover plastic and etc...I cant make it quite right...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the helmet itself is made of fibreglass and polyester resin over a Pepakura model, as is the rest of the armour, and it's interior is padded with various types of foam with different densities.

fantastic work. I love your ab plate

Is that like, glass, or well, you can't see through it?

- - - Updated - - -

like, or plastic?

The visor material that Icon Props sells is a very thin and malleable sheet of plastic, it is mirrored gold iridium on one side and tinted blue on the other. When you look through it it's like wearing blue tinted sunglasses. Full visibility.

View attachment 14228
attachment.jpg

Hey, nice job!

Just a quick question; with the undersuit details under the chest piece, what did you make those out of? It looks like rubber, but how did you make it?

It's seems to fit perfectly with your build, and I might want to try it out!

Firstly......Absolutely amazing! I am just another echo when I say you have created an impressive piece of kit!! That is truly a level completion of Legendary.

You made mention that you tried a different resin mix over the pepped parts....how's it working out? Do you get much flex from your parts on contact areas (eg inner bicep and chest area) or are they pretty rock solid?

I'm keen to get my Reach armour pretty solid, so your feedback will be invaluable.

Firstly......Absolutely amazing!���� I am just another echo when I say you have created an impressive piece of kit!! That is truly a level completion of Legendary.

You made mention that you tried a different resin mix over the pepped parts....how's it working out? Do you get much flex from your parts on contact areas (eg inner bicep and chest area) or are they pretty rock solid?

I'm keen to get my Reach armour pretty solid, so your feedback will be invaluable.

The resin mix wasn't really different, I just found out recently that it was just a higher quality marine grade polyester resin and glass. It just seemed to be a bit heavier, but much stronger with more notable colour changes as you worked with it. It also had a little bit of flexibility to it, I mean very very little, but better than usual. It meant that if I dropped a part it would bounce as apposed to shattering or cracking. No flexibility like rubber or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 14228[url]http://www.405th.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13619&d=1434869626&thumb=1[/URL]

Hey, nice job!

Just a quick question; with the undersuit details under the chest piece, what did you make those out of? It looks like rubber, but how did you make it?

It's seems to fit perfectly with your build, and I might want to try it out!
The undersuit is very thin EVA foam layered and glued together, supported with nylon and polypropylene strapping. I then sprayed a few thick coats of black plastidip and drybrushed it with silver.

The resin mix wasn't really different, I just found out recently that it was just a higher quality marine grade polyester resin and glass. It just seemed to be a bit heavier, but much stronger with more notable colour changes as you worked with it. It also had a little bit of flexibility to it, I mean very very little, but better than usual. It meant that if I dropped a part it would bounce as apposed to shattering or cracking. No flexibility like rubber or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

The undersuit is very thin EVA foam layered and glued together, supported with nylon and polypropylene strapping. I then sprayed a few thick coats of black plastidip and drybrushed it with silver.

Did you work from a template? The cuts look so precise; I can't stop looking at them!!

Did you work from a template? The cuts look so precise; I can't stop looking at them!!
Nope, just freehand with a mirror, to get it symmetrical I would cut out a piece for one side, then trace it inverted on another piece of foam, that way it was more or less the same.

Sorry if this sounds stupid I'm a bit of a newbie but is it all fibreglass mat and resin on the inside bar a small amount of foam?
Thanks
Kal

DUDE! your suit turned out amazing! I really love how the inside of your helmet looks! and great detail work! awesome job!

Sorry if this sounds stupid I'm a bit of a newbie but is it all fibreglass mat and resin on the inside bar a small amount of foam?
Thanks
Kal
The white parts such as the helmet, chest, and forearms are all thick fibreglass mat and resin. High density upholstery foam was used for fitting the pieces comfortably to my body on the inside and the dark steel coloured undersuit parts such as elbows and the abdominal area are all carved from EVA foam.

DUDE! your suit turned out amazing! I really love how the inside of your helmet looks! and great detail work! awesome job!
Thanks, I wanted the helmet to look legit on the inside, that way anyone holding it when I take it off will see even more detail. That and I wanted to hide my circuits and fit it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back