Canadian Regiment Logo & Flag/Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Spartan that would be the patch correct ? and if so, we would still need a banner and flag correct ? ( of close similarity of course )

No, that would be the flag/banner. The patch is the second attachment I posted in Post #53.

The idea is that the regiment logo/patch would be a smaller and simpler design for putting on our armour.

EDIT: I don't think we'd want anything too large or cumbersome to try to paint on a shoulder, arm or whatever.

Banner is looking good; though I don't think it will get too much exposure during events unless someone wants to trade a weapon for the banner.

What about a light blue background, symbolizing ice/snow?! The red leaf will certainly 'pop' on that!

Also, did I miss the explanation of the little wingy things? What makes those Canadian? Shouldn't the simple "patch" at least try to convey us as proudly Canadian? What about placing the 405th core logo on top of a red maple leaf?!

Thanks for your input Jedi Ranger. However, I don't understand what you mean about the banner not getting too much exposure at events unless someone wanted to trade a weapon for it? The regiment banner isn't something to be traded, it's for use by the regiment only. It would be on display at any booth we set up at an event to show we're part of the 405th. It's purely for advertising purposes only.

Regarding the little "wingy" things surrounding the 405th logo, those are just one of the approved design elements (taken from the broken-down 405th core logo as shown in the available PDF file) we're allowed to incorporate into our own 405th logo. Per the 405th's identity guidelines, we're supposed to use the various approved design elements from the core logo to create something unique for our respective regiment.

As for putting the 405th logo over the maple leaf, based on a reply @Art Andrews posted last year in the "405th Logo Update" thread in the "Site Support & News" sub-forum, I would have to say no. His explanation for not combining logos (along with the original question from another 405th-er) is quoted below:

Art, I have a couple of questions regarding the use of this logo WITH (but not IN COMBINATION) logos for other groups/companies, etc?

For example,

I have had a proposal accepted by a local university to fund some of the tech equipment for my build. Part of the proposal will allow them to place their logo on the armour for their marketing purposes. If I follow the spacing policy of the logo use guidelines, and keep the logos as separate entities (ie. quite far apart), can I display BOTH logos on my armour?

And does the answer change if the logo I attempt to use is not for a university, but for a company that is paying me to use the suit for marketing purposes? (Not that this is a scenario that is presently occurring, but why not ask while the question seems relevant?)

I guess the suit could become a patchwork of logos and such, like nascars, and does that create a problem if the 405th logo is included in that mix with the others?

As long as you are not combining logos, you should be just fine. Keep in mind that most of our rules regarding the identity of the community are to ensure that there is no confusion created about who we are and to maintain a sense of pride in our club.

I would ask, but we won't demand, that if you use the 405th logo on your costume that you display it as the primary and most prominent logo.

And for anyone who missed GGD mentioning not combining logos, let's recap:

View attachment 1669

They have to be distinct and clearly identifiable from one another, to avoid any confusion. It's because of those identity guidelines that we have to keep the three main elements (405th regiment logo, 405th Infanty Division label, maple leaf) as they are on the flag/banner separate. Trust me, this isn't the first time I've addressed that issue.

Gotch'ya, on the logo notes!

And I was just thinking that locally, there would be VERY few chances for an actual table to be set up, thus VERY little exposure for the banner, unless someone was actually carrying it, instead of a weapon. Then again, this regiment is Canada-wide, so there may more opportunity for the banner elsewhere, but in Alberta, not so much.

Gotch'ya, on the logo notes!

And I was just thinking that locally, there would be VERY few chances for an actual table to be set up, thus VERY little exposure for the banner, unless someone was actually carrying it, instead of a weapon. Then again, this regiment is Canada-wide, so there may more opportunity for the banner elsewhere, but in Alberta, not so much.

Ah, okay. That's what you meant, lol. Thanks for clarifying ;)

Though our numbers aren't big, I think there are enough members concentrated in certain areas (Vancouver, Edmonton and GTA) that it could be relatively easy to organize groups to represent our regiment at events in those cities, all of which host major events like Fan Expo or ComicCon. It's just a matter of planning out the logistics to make it work.

Of course, that's not something we absolutely need to worry about just yet. We still need to get our regiment logo and flag/banner approved first, lol.

Here's the flag/banner with the lighter blue background as suggested by Jedi Ranger.

Personally, I don't think it really looks good. The darker background looks best, imho.

Attachments

• 405th canadian regiment logo 8.jpg
    405th canadian regiment logo 8.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 366
Last edited by a moderator:
The blue is definitely different, but I find it takes away from the detailing of the 405th and regiment logos.
I think this is a case where having a neutral background will be most beneficial. Mind you, that shade looks like an icy blue for a skating rink. Uniqueness at 100% :D

The blue is definitely different, but I find it takes away from the detailing of the 405th and regiment logos.
I think this is a case where having a neutral background will be most beneficial. Mind you, that shade looks like an icy blue for a skating rink. Uniqueness at 100% :D

I agree. My wife pretty much said the same thing when she saw it, lol.

Let's do a tally, who likes the darker background and who likes the ice blue background?

I just realized the light blue ice with the red outline looks like a hockey golies crease! lol, i should replace one energy sword with a hockey stick! i think i like the light blue one best, the dark one does show the details better, but the light blue one is so pretty! lol

I'd have to say I like the Black / Grey ones

on another note, I'm nut sure how it would look but with that emblem how would it look with the military type coloring on it ?
patch-canadian-flag-hook-and-loop.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I just realized the light blue ice with the red outline looks like a hockey golies crease! lol, i should replace one energy sword with a hockey stick! i think i like the light blue one best, the dark one does show the details better, but the light blue one is so pretty! lol

Yeah, the dark background definitely shows the details better.

I'd have to say I like the Black / Grey ones

on another note, I'm nut sure how it would look but with that emblem how would it look with the military type coloring on it ?

[/QUOTE]

Okay, so that's another one for the black/grey versions.

Hadn't really given any thought to doing it up in the various military colour schemes. That's a pretty neat idea, sir ;)

How would that work out, though? Would everything be done in those colours, or just some elements (ie. background and trim/edge)?

Alright, so this is where the tally currently stands:

Grey Background +2
Black Background +5
Ice Blue Background +2
Black Ice Background 0

Btw, I've attached a copy of the black background version of the flag/banner, with areas indicated in red that need some tweaking. I'll explain all of them below:

+ The wing-like design element at the top-right corner of the regiment logo needs adjustment, as the spacing between it and the hexagon is a little off-center

+ As per the PDF file for the 405th's Identity Guidelines, the official 405th Infantry Division signage in the middle has to have a certain spacing between it and all of the other design elements

+ As such, we'll need to lengthen the flag/banner a bit and adjust the placement of some design elements (bottom half looks about right, the top half will really need some adjustments)

Attachments

• 405th canadian regiment logo 7_b.jpg
    405th canadian regiment logo 7_b.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 374
Thanks, added your vote to the tally back on Page 3 ;)

Skoopa92's made the necessary adjustments so everything's placed with the proper spacing between elements. I'll post a pic of the revised version a little later today.

EDIT: He actually did up another version with just a hint of light blue added to the black background. Looks kind of kewl. I'll post that one too, in case anyone likes it.

EDIT #2: Below are the two new versions with the proper spacing. The second version we'll call the "black ice background", and will be added to the poll on Page 3.

Attachments

• 405th canadian regiment logo 9.jpg
    405th canadian regiment logo 9.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 405th canadian regiment logo 9-2.jpg
    405th canadian regiment logo 9-2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 316
Alright guys and gals, here is the final version with all the proper spacing, et cetera required by the 405th's Identity Guidelines.

Think it's ready for submission to the 405th staff for approval? ;)

Attachments

• 405th canadian regiment logo 10.jpg
    405th canadian regiment logo 10.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 312
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back