Canadian Regiment Logo & Flag/Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
As we now have our own group set up within the 405th, I think it's best we get right on top of designing a regimental flag :)

Whatever we choose, we have to make sure it follows the 405th's identity guidelines --> http://www.405th.com/faq.php?faq=community_info#faq_405th_identity_guidelines

As a reference, the Pacific regiment's flag is a perfect example of what is acceptable in accordance with those guidelines.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? I'm all thumbs when it comes to computer drafting or anything of the sort, so would someone else be willing to help design it?

Re: Canadian Regiment Logo

I have always loved the look of this. I am not the original artist but have permission from the artist to use it.

54_online.png

Attachments

• 54_online.png
    54_online.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 279

I remember that one from years ago, and while nice our regiment's logo has to incorporate design elements from the approved artwork posted for download in the 405th's identity guidelines. Not only that, but we have to come up with a logo that follows the spacing requirements (see link above for details).

Of course, I only showed it as a reference point for our future regiment logo.

So, you're thinking something with that outer shape with design elements from the 405th's identity artwork, in order to make it look more like a proper uniform emblem/patch?

I managed to find on my hard drive a variation of the above-posted logo/patch, which I believe may have been made by the same artist.

Would something in this style be better, or what was posted recently? Perhaps the first one could be our regiment's flag, and this one as a proper armour/uniform patch?

Attachments

• Canadian_regiment_2_update.png
    Canadian_regiment_2_update.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 378

I've been reworking the above designs to remove the combat knifes and circle behind them and replace them with elements taken from the official 405th identity/logo.

Since I have neither the experience or software to do them up in a digital format, I'm drawing them on paper which I hope someone will then be able to digitalize. Will post pics soon.

That sounds good! I'm sure we have a talented Canadian graphics artist here somewhere

Do you happen to recall the name of the 405th-er who designed the two above? If he/she is still active, maybe they'd be up for updating thiers.

I like the idea of have the first picture being used as a flag. Of course, minor adjustments would need to be made. Also like the energy sword idea in replacement of the swords.

Alright, here's what I've come up with for our regiment's logo (I personally like styles A & C):

Attachments

• DSC04038.JPG
    DSC04038.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC04043.JPG
    DSC04043.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC04036.JPG
    DSC04036.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC04037.JPG
    DSC04037.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC04042.JPG
    DSC04042.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC04039.JPG
    DSC04039.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 329
Re: Canadian Regiment Flag

Great job on these. I personally like design C, but theres nothing that screams Canadian to me. Can we put a Canadian flag as the background?

Based on a reply @Art Andrews posted in the "405th Logo Update" thread in the "Site Support & News" sub-forum, I would have to say no. His explanation for not combining logos (along with the original question from another 405th-er) is quoted below:

Art, I have a couple of questions regarding the use of this logo WITH (but not IN COMBINATION) logos for other groups/companies, etc?

For example,

I have had a proposal accepted by a local university to fund some of the tech equipment for my build. Part of the proposal will allow them to place their logo on the armour for their marketing purposes. If I follow the spacing policy of the logo use guidelines, and keep the logos as separate entities (ie. quite far apart), can I display BOTH logos on my armour?

And does the answer change if the logo I attempt to use is not for a university, but for a company that is paying me to use the suit for marketing purposes? (Not that this is a scenario that is presently occurring, but why not ask while the question seems relevant?)

I guess the suit could become a patchwork of logos and such, like nascars, and does that create a problem if the 405th logo is included in that mix with the others?

As long as you are not combining logos, you should be just fine. Keep in mind that most of our rules regarding the identity of the community are to ensure that there is no confusion created about who we are and to maintain a sense of pride in our club.

I would ask, but we won't demand, that if you use the 405th logo on your costume that you display it as the primary and most prominent logo.

And for anyone who missed GGD mentioning not combining logos, let's recap:

View attachment 1669

Make sure to click on the attachment link to see his examples of what's acceptable and what's not.

With that in mind, in order to give our regiment flag some Canadian flair, we'd have to keep the Canadian flag (or large maple leaf with crossed energy swords, as I like the idea of the energy swords too) separate from the 405th logo.

I was thinking of lengthening the flag concept so we could add the maple leaf and swords at the bottom. Would that work for everyone?

Here's a sketch of the revised flag, lengthened to include both the 405th regiment logo and some Canadian flair beneath

I think maybe the maple leaf and energy swords should be downsized a bit to match the size of the 405th logo (would look more balanced imho):

Attachments

• DSC04044.JPG
    DSC04044.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 304

Thanks! I thought about making the flag outline more like a proper tapestry with pointed ends, but thought that might look too much like the US Southern and Pacific regiments.

The style of flag outline we're going with here will help make ours stand out from the rest. Oh, and I'll be posting a proper poll thread shortly so everyone can vote for thier favourite style.

I like B, and C as well.

It's a tough call, but all of them can work.
The flag design confuses me a bit- is the design supposed to act as a badge for costumes, or is it literally how it'd look on a waving flag?

The design is how it would look on a waving flag; I imagine it printed on a long banner hanging next to the regiment's table/booth at whatever events we end up setting up at.

However, the beauty of the design is that the smaller version (minus the maple leaf and energy swords) could be used as a uniform patch. But, primarily the design is meant as our flag.

Btw, when I go to post a new thread, I can't seem to find any options for making it a poll. I know I've seen that option listed before, though. Am I just not seeing it somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back