What do you want from the 405th Canadian Regiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
As the title suggests, what do you guys hope to get out of this group?

What would you like to see us get involved in?

What would you like to see happen within the group?

This thread is for openly discussing any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding our regiment.

Well, I don't know how familiar anyone is with the 501st Legion, a Star Wars based group that do a lot of costume making. They do a lot of charities and what not, sending stormtroopers to sick kids, and setting up at conventions like Comic Con raising money for charity. I think it'd be cool if we could represent the 405th in a similar way. I realize Star Wars most certainly has a larger, more passionate fan base, but I'd rather a Spartan visit me in a hospital than Darth Vader, personally.

Other ideas are armor building workshops and whatnot.

Most of us do live within a few hours from major conventions and such. Charity fundraising/promotion through sponsorship would be a good start if people were interested. Even in their own community.

What I'd like was to simply be a part of a community where everyone can thrive in their creations. (It's already been done through the 405th, of course). It'd definitely be a treat to start getting involved as a group at conventions to meet up and really start waving that flag ;)

I like Anthony's idea of a workshop. It's something cool to bring to the Canadian-side of the border to help expand our 405th division and awareness, as well as show others what the group as a whole, is all about.

I too would be all for chairty fundraisers and workshops.

For example, Ottawa Comic Con would be an ideal venue for both, as there's already a local 501st regiment that sets up shop in a big way every year, and I've sat in on workshops in some of the event rooms off the main entrance of the conference centre it's held in each year.

The only problem I see with trying to set up anything of the sort at the moment is the low membership numbers in our regiment, and how we're spread out. As we're only now just starting to come together here, I foresee logistical issues in enough of us getting together at these events.

That shouldn't deter us from trying, though. I'm just trying to be realistic and be aware of the difficulties involved in organizing such activities at present. I like your ideas though, folks. Keep 'em coming! That's what this thread is for, after all ;)

Most of us do live within a few hours from major conventions and such. Charity fundraising/promotion through sponsorship would be a good start if people were interested. Even in their own community.

[...]

Any thoughts on how exactly we should start going about doing that? I have to admit, I'm entirely new to this end of things so don't really have a clue.

Personally, I think it's best to start off with something small. Let's say 2 members happen to be going to a convention, meet up, and spend some time prowling the con together with some shameless self advertising (if people ask) ;)
From there, the more frequent people see members in costume and what they're up to, we can slowly start digging into the bigger aspects like workshops/community involvement.

It's rare to see someone in Spartan gear in Canada, so it's definitely a treat if we can manage a gathering with at least 2 people.

Finances and logistical purposes, as you mentioned SPARTAN II, is a huge factor. I know for a fact that it's cheaper to do cons in Canada rather than crossing the border. Some (American) friends and I are planning to attend DragonCon next year. It'll cost me more than them for travel alone.

As for your question about charities/fundraisers; it can be up to the sole individual or as a group. I have no experience in that area either, but there was a post through social media about a 405th member who attended his annual cancer run for the cure in Spartan armor. We could do something that simple as long as the fundraiser/charity personnel are ok with it. I got inspired to try and meet next year's deadline for the cancer run. Some places may not allow helmets, but there wouldn't be an issue as long as weapon props aren't present.
Even children's charities would work. Most kids would recognize spartans before adults.
That's where my head's been as of late ^_^

Well, as things here have now been made official, I figured it was time to ressurect this thread and see if any of our other active members had any ideas for what our regiment could do.

Also, if there's anything in particular the membership would like us (the staff) to do to help our regiment along, by all means please post that here. We welcome any and all input/feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back