resin fumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailleworx

this isn't about the fumes from liquid or freshly mixed resin.

i'm more curious about how people deal with the odor of cured resin....does it dissipate? halloween is 2 months away and i'm not gonna be much use at the party if i'm all goofed up or suffering massive brain damage from huffing fumes.

Cured Resin should stop off gassing fumes, which is the smell you are referring to. It is possible that do to an improper ratio of catalyst hardener to resin, or lack of thoroughly mixing, the resin may continue to cure for days or may never fully cure at all, in which case you will always have that smell for have it for very long time.

Put the item and a dry, warm, well ventilated location. If after a week, the smell remains, there will be little you can do as the resin will likely never fully cure. This is why it is important to both use the correct mix ratios and throughly mix the resin and hardener.

oh i was very careful about my ratios. this stuff costs too damn much to be wasting any on non cured. it's really only been a day, i'll throw the heater on them and see if that helps.

thx

Do not use a heater for many reasons. If you heat the room maybe.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I have seen a few Q&As that suggest using a heat lamp to help the resin dry, but you have to be careful not to get it too close (at least 18 inches away) and don't use it for very long (the vast majority suggest no longer than 15 minutes or you risk burning and/or cracking, and if it burns, that's a whole new level of fume nastiness.

I have found over the years of doing body work on various things that using a oscillating fan on a low speed just to create air movement in the area helps the drying and curing process.

Do NOT put the fan too close or have it blowing directly on your project as this can cause weird things to happen .Have had personal experience with this LOL!!

Hope you build goes well.

Squirrelly-ORC (Orsinium Recon Corp)

I found the hardener for my resin went bad, after I put on two coats on my helmet. My solution was to put it in my car in the hot California summer sun and leave it to cure. It took a couple hours, and the car faintly smelled of resin, but it cured as normal.

The place I used to work had a paint and body shop for repairing mobile xray machines and the painter there said to use a fan to help body work dry. The closer the fan is to the work piece, the slower it should run. I hardly ever saw him use a heat lamp. If he did, it was because there was a rush on parts. However, if it was too hot or too close it could wreck havoc on the bodywork or the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back