Halo 4 MC Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have any eye for detail already and skillful execution. If you have the means (sewing setup and supplies) already available to you I recomend just going for it and seeing that you can come up with. It doesn't need to be structural, which is the part of sewing/tayloring that takes patience and experience. You are matching aesthetics and attaching the parts you come up with to an under suit you already have, right? At the very least you could start there, feeling out the fabric, constructing some of those mesh padded areas individually, and later look for assistance in assembly, or if you gain confidence eventually opt to build the entire suit. Because I do agree that is the way to go in the long run.

You have any eye for detail already and skillful execution. If you have the means (sewing setup and supplies) already available to you I recomend just going for it and seeing that you can come up with. It doesn't need to be structural, which is the part of sewing/tayloring that takes patience and experience. You are matching aesthetics and attaching the parts you come up with to an under suit you already have, right? At the very least you could start there, feeling out the fabric, constructing some of those mesh padded areas individually, and later look for assistance in assembly, or if you gain confidence eventually opt to build the entire suit. Because I do agree that is the way to go in the long run.

Thanks for the info! My mom has a sewing setup. But like you said, building an entire suit would be best in the long run. I have taking in considerationg the sewing path but I honestly do not like about it wrinkling. Plus the expensive material would not be a good option for me. I would rather keep my material range small. Although using more "exotic" material would greatly benefit the outcome of the suit. This is mainly for expense concerns. Right now that I have an almost finished suit would leave me time, plus the extra months. With that, I will put in all of my effort with my newly discovered skills. As for the undersuit that I have in the photoshoot, i will leave untouched. Im going to rely on the use of Nylon Strapping.

Thanks Man!

Glad to be of help.
I'm trying some other ideas for suit electronics, so tell me what you think:
For talking with helmet on, I am putting Radio Shack's(Model: 277-1008) mono-amp speaker in the shoulder "vent" with a mic in the helmet. An old ear-bud can be used as a mic.
The belt-clip on mosquito repellent (http://www.amazon.com/Off-Clip-On-Mosquito-Repellent-Set/dp/B003L1TG1O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top),
can be turned into battery powered helmet (visor) fans. *Do NOT use repellant packets*.
I built a stereo amps (similar to: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/St...archPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12) for hearing better with my helmet on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to be of help.
I'm trying some other ideas for suit electronics, so tell me what you think:
For talking with helmet on, I am putting Radio Shack's(Model: 277-1008) mono-amp speaker in the shoulder "vent" with a mic in the helmet. An old ear-bud can be used as a mic.
The belt-clip on mosquito repellent (http://www.amazon.com/Off-Clip-On-Mosquito-Repellent-Set/dp/B003L1TG1O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top),
can be turned into battery powered helmet (visor) fans. *Do NOT use repellant packets*.
I built a stereo amps (similar to: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/St...archPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12) for hearing better with my helmet on.

Appreciate the help and interest in the build! I'm actually having no problems as of now with my helmet as it is a bit cheap and not that well made. I am looking into buying a raw cast from Impact Props. I'll invest in improving the comfort factor in the helmet and some fans as well. I can't say the same for the speaker and mic add-on. As I am not familiar with helmet casts and the "flexibility" of them I will take your ideas into consideration!

Lol really liking the mosquito repellent idea! We don't really get mosquitos up here in Illinois. :)

I think it's a great idea overall! I am a perfectionist so I really wouldn't like having those wires and electronics hanging out a poking my eye out, but I have to ask. How's the comfort factor involved in all of this. Will you cover everything up with foam padding? And where are you placing the fans? I will give you huge props on building yourself an amp. I'm really not an expert in electronics but I am willing to learn more!

Right now I am contemplating about how I am going to go about the Under Suit plan. It's really confusing for me because I dont know if I'll have it seperate or "connected" to the Chest Piece.

But I thank you once again for your interest. I know I am not the best, but really, thanks! [emoji5]️

Appreciate the help and interest in the build! I'm actually having no problems as of now with my helmet as it is a bit cheap and not that well made.

Lol really liking the mosquito repellent idea! We don't really get mosquitos up here in Illinois. :)

I think it's a great idea overall! I am a perfectionist so I really wouldn't like having those wires and electronics hanging out a poking my eye out, but I have to ask. How's the comfort factor involved in all of this. Will you cover everything up with foam padding? And where are you placing the fans? I will give you huge props on building yourself an amp. I'm really not an expert in electronics but I am willing to learn more!

Right now I am contemplating about how I am going to go about the Under Suit plan. It's really confusing for me because I dont know if I'll have it seperate or "connected" to the Chest Piece.

But I thank you once again for your interest. I know I am not the best, but really, thanks! [emoji5]️

*Remember, I said DON'T use the mosquito repellent! Blowing it straight into you helm will make you sick!*

I made my helmet using Foam and pepakura plans adjusted for foam. I built it with about 3/4 inches space on each side of my head and now I'm putting in 1 inch foam from a Jo-Ann Fabrics, and actually using fabric glue to glue a comfortable black fabric over it (I don't know how to sew).

Wires can be controlled with putting them into "conduits" in you undersuit. I got a morphsuit and plan to glue (or sew) on anchor points (maybe even spandex fabric tunnels) to keep them in place (just plan for how much your undersuit will stretch). *But, all this is experimental, so it might not work.*

I found some fans that are like miniature blowers, so they can work inside the helmet attached to the side, but they have been discontinued.
Like an "Antec Cyclone Blower " only smaller.
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M7085&cm_re=blower-_-35-209-052-_-Product)
(hope 405th doesn't mind me posting vendors references here, I didn't read the posting rules yet).

The Antec Cyclone Blower can be put under your Armor, and blow thru a flexible fabric tube you can make to cool you. Just sew or glue a "D" shaped tube of fabric (PET foam ridges can be glued inside to keep the tube from collapsing completely) that fits the fan. Spray the tube with Plasti-Dip to make it air-tight (don't get any on the fan). The flat side sits against your body, and can be Velcro-ed into place. Just point it into the base of your helmet to help cool it.

Good luck on the armor!
I've been trying for 8 years to build mine (3 different tries: 2x Mk5's, and now Mk6). It's hard work.

*Remember, I said DON'T use the mosquito repellent! Blowing it straight into you helm will make you sick!*

I made my helmet using Foam and pepakura plans adjusted for foam. I built it with about 3/4 inches space on each side of my head and now I'm putting in 1 inch foam from a Jo-Ann Fabrics, and actually using fabric glue to glue a comfortable black fabric over it (I don't know how to sew).

Wires can be controlled with putting them into "conduits" in you undersuit. I got a morphsuit and plan to glue (or sew) on anchor points (maybe even spandex fabric tunnels) to keep them in place (just plan for how much your undersuit will stretch). *But, all this is experimental, so it might not work.*

I found some fans that are like miniature blowers, so they can work inside the helmet attached to the side, but they have been discontinued.
Like an "Antec Cyclone Blower " only smaller.
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M7085&cm_re=blower-_-35-209-052-_-Product)
(hope 405th doesn't mind me posting vendors references here, I didn't read the posting rules yet).

The Antec Cyclone Blower can be put under your Armor, and blow thru a flexible fabric tube you can make to cool you. Just sew or glue a "D" shaped tube of fabric (PET foam ridges can be glued inside to keep the tube from collapsing completely) that fits the fan. Spray the tube with Plasti-Dip to make it air-tight (don't get any on the fan). The flat side sits against your body, and can be Velcro-ed into place. Just point it into the base of your helmet to help cool it.

Good luck on the armor!
I've been trying for 8 years to build mine (3 different tries: 2x Mk5's, and now Mk6). It's hard work.

For now, I will be staying off the helmet making for a bit until I gather much more experience and time. I am actually really eager to see the new Helmet that will be coming out in July. Its a motorcycle helmet exclusively designed from the game. It will have a one way visor and removable cheek pieces AND cushioning. Im not sure anout ventilation though. And because it will be mass produced for a short time, It will be at a relatively cheap price.

More on the fans, I really do like the way they are shaped and because of its form I would really like the idea of placing them on the inner back piece to cool my whole back. But I will probably only be using the suit on Halloween and well it get really cold up here in Illinois so I find no usage in the fans other than using them on the helmet. I like tubing idea tho.

8 years is a long time! That is my ultimate goal. To keep rhis in my life as a hobby for as long as I can before having too many responsibilities on my hands!

For now, I will be staying off the helmet making for a bit until I gather much more experience and time. I am actually really eager to see the new Helmet that will be coming out in July. Its a motorcycle helmet exclusively designed from the game. It will have a one way visor and removable cheek pieces AND cushioning. Im not sure anout ventilation though. And because it will be mass produced for a short time, It will be at a relatively cheap price.

More on the fans, I really do like the way they are shaped and because of its form I would really like the idea of placing them on the inner back piece to cool my whole back. But I will probably only be using the suit on Halloween and well it get really cold up here in Illinois so I find no usage in the fans other than using them on the helmet. I like tubing idea tho.

8 years is a long time! That is my ultimate goal. To keep rhis in my life as a hobby for as long as I can before having too many responsibilities on my hands!

Sounds like you have a a great plan.
I live in the Midwest too, so I understand about cold Halloweens. Heat packs (like cool-packs) are made for hunters, and sell at outdoor stores.
Make a place for one in your tubing and it could warm instead of cool.

OK, I found the mini-fan to fit inside the helmet, might even fit the motorcycle one:

http://www.westaby.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=15
(Westaby to the rescue again!)

I hope to someday go to Dragon Con in Atlanta (I think) or Comic Con in Calif. Air conditioning will be a must.
And I don't have the funds for buying pre-made stuff.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back