Halo Wars Costume Build - GonMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgon47

Hey all. This is my second foam build. I'd like to try something a little different this time. This is a total of three evenings worth of work, at around 3 hours per night. I hope to finish up the chest by the weekend or sooner. Here are a few progress photos from the week as things started to take shape. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Here is the initial chest plates taking shape:
1.jpg

Here is the "intakes" coming together. Still got some details to work out:
2.jpg

Here is both previous sections coming together for the first time:
3.jpg
Here is the progress from tonight. Redid the attachement point from the shoulder straps to the chest armor. Also got the rest of the front half blocked out. Still got ALOT of detail all around, but it's steady progress.
4.jpg

Cheers!
Eric

The chest piece looks too wide if you ask me.Well built,but too wide.You need to be able to move your arms properly when wearing this,especialy if you're wearing other pieces or armor and are trying to hold a weapon,believe me,i know.
Everything else looks great.I love the detail work,very nice. :)

I hear what you're saying and here is my counter point. The last suit I made was scaled for optimal movement and 1:1 scaling to my body. It was great to wear, easy to move, and I could even put it on myself. However, in every single picture I ever saw of me in it, it looks wrong. It's too small, even though it really isn't. So this time around I'm going just a smidge bigger deliberately to help sell the suit as a whole. Traditionally, these suits have never been great on movement on real humans anyway. It'll be all about practicing poses that look good and knowing what works before I go to a con/launch event.

The chest piece looks too wide if you ask me.Well built,but too wide.You need to be able to move your arms properly when wearing this,especialy if you're wearing other pieces or armor and are trying to hold a weapon,believe me,i know.
Everything else looks great.I love the detail work,very nice. :)

Keep us updated, the halo wars armor is my favorite suit from all the games.

Just a real quick update. Start working on the back of the chest piece. Fairly complex geometry. Got some of the details added in. Still pretty excited about how well the build is coming together. I'm having to adapt a pepakura file into foam on the fly. I'm hoping to try and get the chest finished by the end of Sunday night.

5.jpg

Awesome build so far. It's great to see the Mark IV being built. Good luck on the rest of the chest, especially the back part of the torso. Are going for the HD look?

Awesome build so far. It's great to see the Mark IV being built. Good luck on the rest of the chest, especially the back part of the torso. Are going for the HD look?

Yes, I am going for an HD suit. It'll have as much detail as I can cram in, geometry wise, and electronics wise. I got some goodies planned.

Time for an update. Here is the last 5 hours of my time:

Starting the complex back section
6.jpg

7.jpg

Here are some photos of it at 90%. Still got some details here and there, but for the most part, it's all blocked in. Cha cha check it out!

IMG_0298.JPG IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0300.JPG

Also... don't mind the fact that it's hanging from my ceiling fan pull switch :p

So much progress tonight. I'm going to be severely limited on movement, but it's going to be worth it. I shall be a walking tank! I got the left shoulder and bicep mostly blocked in. As with the other pieces, I still have quite a bit of detailing, but it's so fun to see the major pieces come together. Still got alot to do in regards to strapping and mounting of that massive pauldron. Currently it's only being held on by a single foam pillar to check placement in relation to the chest piece. Do forgive the constant updates, but I'm trying to keep the momentum built up to get this finished for Pax South.

8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg

Looking good.
I'm about to start on my first build (foam master chief Mk 6) and I was wondering about what peice would be the best to start with.
I also have a question about what thickness you will be using for the handplate.

That right there is some magical foam work, you're really capturing the shape. I was glad to read about your decision to sacrifice comfort/mobility for overall accuracy and appearance because I agree on all points. btw, how exactly did you do those perfectly uniform pinstripe details etched into the breastplates?

This is a very clean build, keep up the hard and great work!

Thanks very much!

That right there is some magical foam work, you're really capturing the shape. I was glad to read about your decision to sacrifice comfort/mobility for overall accuracy and appearance because I agree on all points. btw, how exactly did you do those perfectly uniform pinstripe details etched into the breastplates?

It was kind of an accident actually. So, when I am tracing out my parts to cut out, I use a sharp pencil to score the cutting lines into my foam. It's just sharp enough to break through the upper most layer and provide an excellent guide for my knife. So I took it a step further and used a ruler and the pencil and drew in the lines where I wanted them. This needs to be done very carefully as once you go more than two passes with the pencil, its there for good. Once you are happy with placement, just go over it several times until its to the depth of your liking. Thats it!

Looking good.
I'm about to start on my first build (foam master chief Mk 6) and I was wondering about what peice would be the best to start with.
I also have a question about what thickness you will be using for the handplate.

I like to start out with shoulder pieces and forearms. They are small enough to not waste for than a few nights of work on, and gives you a moderately difficult piece to work on without wasting foam, but giving you time to improve your skills so that if later, you feel you have improved, you won't feel as bad about throwing away say, a chest piece, as you would just a bicep and pauldron or a forearm. As far as the handplate thickness goes, I'm really not sure yet...but I will be sure to mention you in this thread, or PM you when I get to that point!

Dude, this is looking great so far! Cant wait for the finished version!

Thank you! I'm hoping to have it ready for PAX South next year! Gotta get back to building it....

Umm u have the bicep and tricep armor on backwards.. Just pointing it out.and ur work on the armor is amazing.

Umm u have the bicep and tricep armor on backwards.. Just pointing it out.and ur work on the armor is amazing.

I'm not really happy with how the base bicep piece came out. I'll end up rebuilding it. The only file I have for it is not quite what I'm looking for, so I'll probably make it from scratch. As far as orientation, I have the pauldron on the correct side, at least with the reference images I'm using (courtesy of Blur renders). I'll give it a closer look to see what I've done wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back