Regarding Destiny Assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chernobyl

Sr Member
A lot of you have been messaging me recently regarding this subject, so I figured it would be far better for me to make an open statement and head off further questions about the topic before my inbox starts crying:

No, I do not have access to Destiny game assets. Nobody does right now - the game has only been out a few weeks and people are still working on accessing them. From what I've seen in the dev scene, things could take as little as a few weeks, or perhaps a few months - in the meantime, I'm going to ask all of you to do the following:

Be patient.
Be considerate of my current workload (Halo assets are my main priority)
Get in touch with known 405th modellers and see if they'll model you what you want

The moment I have access to Destiny game assets, you guys will be the first to know. I promise you that. In the meantime, please check out Crimmson's 3D Modelling Thread and Elusch99's Destiny Models - they have some great resources to get you started.

I'll keep this thread updated as I find out more information. If anybody knows anything I don't, please get in touch and we can pool our information - but otherwise, please stop asking me if I have the assets yet. The game hasn't been out long enough for any progress to have been made.

I've almost worked it out... Turns out the android app is pretty easy to tap.
Just need to work out the last step..

When it happens, it happens. I'm sure many of us are impatient for it to happen sooner rather than later, but honestly, this isn't as simple as popping the disc into a computer and opening some files, so I'm sure many of us here understand it's not going to happen immediately, or even in the near/foreseeable future. After all, Bungie may figure giving those ref sheets (ultimately limited as they may be) was enough, and made the on-disc assets that much more difficult to decipher. Heck, due to the random nature of the weapons and armor in terms of abilities and, in the case of the weapons especially, model silhouette, that information might be fed directly from the servers and the disc just contains the programming to interpret that information for all we know.

In short, I, for one, know it will take time and that Destiny is not the main focus of attention for everyone who has the know-how and skills related to asset extraction and model clean-up, so patience is the best, and really the only, way to go (short of taking up the challenge ourselves, whic is someting I certainly do not have the means to do).

From what I have seen both sides are close it is just the last few steps. They cracked one just to have to figure out the next. Crao (thanks by the way) released a limited tool for unpacking, but this kind of discussion is probably frowned upon here. So I will parrot @Arcanine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I've been bashing my brain against that website for a couple of weeks now. Sneaky buggers must've known that people would want to grab the assets.
I really don't get it, it's not as if the assets they have are their IP... Why not share it? Hmpf.

Ugh, I've been bashing my brain against that website for a couple of weeks now. Sneaky buggers must've known that people would want to grab the assets.
I really don't get it, it's not as if the assets they have are their IP... Why not share it? Hmpf.

They want to corner the market on MMO item stat databases. No, really. Cute niche, I guess.

Problem with these files will be the usual - tons of detail will be in the bump maps. This leads to ugly pepakura and simplistic plastic prints.
Otherwise, they are actually quite useful to people who remodel things like me as a source of reference renders and a modeling aide. That Last Word 3D viewer would have been really useful last month.

What I'm curious is where they get the models... are they pulled from the game somehow, or the mobile app?

I've recently found this application 123Dapp free from Autocad that apparently can take pictures and turn them into 3D models, so taking a lot of screengrabs from DestinyDB and rebuilding the models should be possible as a workaround, until better models are created/released/ripped/etc.

I will give you guys this much, myself and a couple others have been working on the models from the DestinyDB site for some time now, before this Xentax thread was made. I'll even give you guys a freebie file to use as you like. The maxscript to convert the .dat to .obj won't be shared as that's still very much a work in progress. I will tell you how to convert the .geom to .dat. You will need to make a new folder in your C:\ title this folder xxx. Now put the Offzip program and the geom files you have into this folder.

Open a command prompt (WinXP go to Run...type cmd and hit enter), drag the offzip to the prompt first. add a space then -a, another space and drag your geom file, space then type C:\xxx 0 (and that's a zero not a O) and it will uncompress the geom to this dat. You can now use Hex2OBJ to decipher the startaddress for the faces and vertices. This is all I will be able to give you as I am sure this account will be banned by a moderator or admin and I could care less as I am only signing on this one time to post this information to those that can use it.

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12255&p=100826#p100826

And here is an Agema helmet that I have unfolded which anyone can download, I also have the Insurmountable Skullfort and Skull of Dire Ahamkara converted so far. Credit has been given in this file for everyone that has worked on this project with me so far. This is Nintendude/PepMaster logging off.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ei31wi

16lecf9.jpg

Attachments

• 16lecf9.jpg
    16lecf9.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 293
Hello there everybody, I've been directed to this thread from DestinyDBHunter. Alas, we have a bearer of good news on the front of extracting 3D content from the DestinyDB website. Thanks to DestinyDBHunter and a couple of his buddies, we have a partially working 3DS Max script to export the .dat files (converted from the original .geom files on the site) into .obj files. However, there are still some bugs; the .obj files usually have many unnecessary component planes on the inside of the model, breaking up the form and making it look incredibly craggy. Ofcourse, these extra components can be cleaned up. As for the success rate for this script getting the .dat files to .obj, there has only been success with helmets. Chest pieces, arm and leg armor are still out of the question due to the models having too many submeshes and exceeding the scripts capacity of importing 1 submesh (the helmets being models with only 1 submesh .

Now, as for going about the process of exporting these .geom files (on a Windows 7 PC) its quiet similar to what DestinyDBHunter explained in his first post (for a Windows XP PC). I have received permission from DestinyDBHunter to post said 3DS Max script here in an effort to get somebody else to help working out the bugs and knows how to do scripting. The over all goal for this project is to get the Max script to be able to work with the multiple submeshes inside of the .dat files. Script download links below;

.dat - .obj script v1: https://www.mediafire.com/?7y3jhu2tk1b8v5r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back