First Master cheif (foam) build wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an awesome build!

And i didn't realize there was some UK Comic Con people on here. I was up at the Birmingham MCM Saturday as DeadMau5 (my avatar). Im building my MK VI suit for London MCM next summer. So if anyone on here with a suit is heading there would be good to join forces for some photos!

Pretty please may you share some more information on how you vacuum formed your visor! :) I would like to do the same but have not found many in depth tutorials or a good build showing it.

This is an awesome build!

And i didn't realize there was some UK Comic Con people on here. I was up at the Birmingham MCM Saturday as DeadMau5 (my avatar). Im building my MK VI suit for London MCM next summer. So if anyone on here with a suit is heading there would be good to join forces for some photos!

Pretty please may you share some more information on how you vacuum formed your visor! :) I would like to do the same but have not found many in depth tutorials or a good build showing it.

Thanks! Aww we went on Sunday sorry to have missed you. Not sure if will will be at London MCM but would be awesome!

The visor was really hit and miss but sure i don't mind sharing how i did mine, didn't take many pics forgot (derp face) we built a home vacuum box and frame and used my dyson. I searched you tube for how to build one.. mines not very pretty haha! I used high impact polystyrene sheets bought from ebay ..placed in the frame and heated everything in my oven at home for about 3 mins i think or untill plastic went real saggy ..placed over buck on box and switched hoover on.
Buck was made from cut out of visor and backed with stiff board again not very techy but worked fine. After all that it was dyed using an orange iDye poly..hex shapes added and a thin coat of chrome was applied before removing the hex templates. visibility isn't perfect but i can see where im going.
I really hope this makes sense and helps a bit :$

1795700_4970206388524_1850821939117694452_n.jpg10801744_4891749387148_133119994240871133_n.jpg

Thanks! Aww we went on Sunday sorry to have missed you. Not sure if will will be at London MCM but would be awesome!

The visor was really hit and miss but sure i don't mind sharing how i did mine, didn't take many pics forgot (derp face) we built a home vacuum box and frame and used my dyson. I searched you tube for how to build one.. mines not very pretty haha! I used high impact polystyrene sheets bought from ebay ..placed in the frame and heated everything in my oven at home for about 3 mins i think or untill plastic went real saggy ..placed over buck on box and switched hoover on.
Buck was made from cut out of visor and backed with stiff board again not very techy but worked fine. After all that it was dyed using an orange iDye poly..hex shapes added and a thin coat of chrome was applied before removing the hex templates. visibility isn't perfect but i can see where im going.
I really hope this makes sense and helps a bit :$
Thank you so much for taking your time to respond to this. Has definitely helped me out. Never knew how people made the buck, but that is pretty obvious now *face palm*, will have to make sure i cast the visor with details when i cast mine. These pictures are useful, for some reason i always wondered if you would have to drill holes along the valley of the visor buck, but i seem you just drilled on in the middle of that detail.

I'm impressed with the patience require to stick those hexagonal stickers on. Luckily the MK VI helmet dosn't require that :p

Small update got a few tweeks to do to Chief have a couple of weeks until his first outing ..been busy working on my sons ODST and a Cortana suit too. He will be wearing his costume with me so wanted to share a progress pic of his helmet which is almost done(child size as he is only 8 ) Didn't know if i should start a new thread or not so just decided to share it here. Hope you guys think it is ok im not completely happy but running out of time so can fiddle with it some more after con. Built with Eva foam and bondo ..hardened with plastic resin before bondo so farly rigid ..hoping he dosn't drop it haha!

ODST.jpg

Nice work! I really like the first helmet. I am new to this, can you possibly estimate the cost to build the helmet? The entire armor? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Wow! I'm so excited for your build! It looks fantastic! Haven't seen female H4 MC armor in ages. You're really inspiring me for my build :D.

Question, your under armour torso bit--the part you dremel'd beautifully--how is it attached? I assume it's a foam piece, but is it attached to the armor, the undersuit, or just a layer you have between the two?

Nice work! I really like the first helmet. I am new to this, can you possibly estimate the cost to build the helmet? The entire armor? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

hi there yeah sure the Chief helmet was bought from impact props as a blank cast i did the visor,lights and painting only on this that was about £145 with shipping ( £20 for light setup from Maplin).
I have tried to do a rough estimate on suit cos i already had some supplies here..inc under suit thingy i guess i have spent around £125 most cost being paints and plastidip. Hope this helps :)

Kate

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! I'm so excited for your build! It looks fantastic! Haven't seen female H4 MC armor in ages. You're really inspiring me for my build :D.

Question, your under armour torso bit--the part you dremel'd beautifully--how is it attached? I assume it's a foam piece, but is it attached to the armor, the undersuit, or just a layer you have between the two?

Hey thanks...yeah it is a foam piece and is attached to the chest armor with a velcro join at the back so i can get in and out of it. Hope that makes sense :)

Oh man, this looks fantastic. The dremel-pain you went through for the under armour really brings it all together.

So, how do you get into your torso piece? Do you have clips on the upper shoulders, or do you just slide in through the back where the under armour connects?

And could you give a rough run down of how you painted? Like did you use a chrome or green base? :)

V-day with Chief!

Re: First Master chief (foam) build wip

Finaly got some pics of Chief , so had a play with Photoshop ...not a master piece but my first try. Hope you guys like it :)

CheifBomb_zpsysvw25ej.jpg

Attachments

• CheifBomb.jpg
    CheifBomb.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 125
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back