LED Question for helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppapared

Hey all,

i working on a helmet and I've gotten to an area that I'm really having trouble with. This is my first time with LEDs.

I'm building a Titanfall helmet and I'm working on getting the LEDs for it. I have a total of 9 LEDs to install. I want buy these LEDs:

http://www.parts-express.com/super-...-kit-with-voltage-dropping-resistors--073-021

I'm using this website to try to determine how to wire it:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

I'd like to use one 9v battery so I entered the following settings:

9V for Source Voltage
3.3 diode forward voltage ( I think this is correct from looking at the specs on the site)
20 diode forward current (mA)
9 number of LEDs in your array

I'm hoping to get 3 to 4 hours of life out of a single 9V battery. The wizard gives two diagrams and I'm looking to do the solution for 2x4 array, 1 extra LED.

Can anyone with a bit of experience tell me if this looks right?

Are the resistors that come with this the wrong type of resistors? This is the part that I'm concerned about the most.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey all,

i working on a helmet and I've gotten to an area that I'm really having trouble with. This is my first time with LEDs.

I'm building a Titanfall helmet and I'm working on getting the LEDs for it. I have a total of 9 LEDs to install. I want buy these LEDs:

Super Bright White 3mm (T1) LED 4000 mcd 100 Piece Kit with Voltage Dropping Resistors

I'm using this website to try to determine how to wire it:

LED series parallel array wizard

I'd like to use one 9v battery so I entered the following settings:

9V for Source Voltage
3.3 diode forward voltage ( I think this is correct from looking at the specs on the site)
20 diode forward current (mA)
9 number of LEDs in your array

I'm hoping to get 3 to 4 hours of life out of a single 9V battery. The wizard gives two diagrams and I'm looking to do the solution for 2x4 array, 1 extra LED.

Can anyone with a bit of experience tell me if this looks right?

Are the resistors that come with this the wrong type of resistors? This is the part that I'm concerned about the most.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey there

Before you blow up your leds what type of resistor are you using. If you do not drop the voltage to 3.3 your going to blow up the led before you can show any one how cool your work is. I can go through a crash class and send you some wiring diagrams if you want PM me.

Yep, a resistor between the LED and battery is mandatory. For 9V batteries, I like to use one 500 ohm resistor per LED.

If you follow the equations, you will get the optimum light from your LED. If you just want it to light up, you do not need an exact resistor value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back