a few pointers on LED and wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfx

SO... I have been reading the threads that people have posted about adding led lights or projects that have led lights and I just would like to add a few pointers tips and tricks.

1. Please use a resistor! I have seen people connect 4-10 LED lights with out wiring a resistor in the project. There will be a few things that happen. A the LED will burn out with in a few times of use. B the battery will drain slower causing heat and the battery to leak. C your wire will start to heat melt and arc = short and the project to fail!

2. Voltage and AMPS. If a you are using a 9 volt battery on a 3.3 volt LED guess what it will work and be bright but not for long! It will burn the LED and the project will fail if you are not using a voltage regulator, and if you are I would love to know where you put it being that most of them that are quality are an inch by inch brick. Also if you are trying to use a thing wire make sure that the wire is rated for the amps you are sending through it.

3. Use wire that will support the LED, resistor, any other part, amp and voltage your going to use. don't use a 100 gauge wire "thin by the way" if you are working with 50 LED's and a 9V battery. NO NO NO! that will melt the wire arc it may spark hope it does that way you learn not to do that again. But it will not end good trust me I have been down this road!

4. Solder and bread boards. If you are going to wire a chest that you want 4 LEDS like a foot away from each do not think about using tape! solder them bad boys to there own positive and negative wire and run them into a bread board that you can pick up at radio shack for 2 bucks. It will make your life a ton more simpler than to dasie chain them and figure out where to stick the resistor and have to use 5 different types because the wire is longer or shorter and one LED is rated at ___ and ya its a mess just DO IT RIGHT!

5. Tape VS solder... tape is like a pinto solder is like a mustang. AKA solder = stronger, safer, cleaner, and the best way to go. If you think your going to wire nut led wire and tape it I am sorry for all of the time you spent building the piece and watching it take mounts because you have to rip it apart to change the LED because of the wire nut you used. Use an LED holder and solder it on to the wire your using. Tape is sticky messy and a pain to work with 99.9% of the time.

6. LED SOCKETS FTW. If you build a suit and don't expect an LED to go out now and then think again. Want to take apart your suit de-solder and put it back together just because a light went out... didn't think so. Use an led holder that you can pop the lights in and out like a clip out of a battle rifle. This is also nice if you want to change it up and use a color led for any reason.

7. Plan before you do. If you are looking at lighting up your suit always plan when you are building it. Don't wait till you rondo it and have to drill through it. "Is a pain trust me". Also if you plan where they are going you can see where your gonna hide all the wire, your battery box, bread board if needed, and resistors. making for a happy healthy you not banging your head on the wall.

If I missed one feel free to shout out or if you don't agree comment to and I will justify my reason.

Cheers
Elementfx

Sweet, thanks for the tips, I was just having a think about how I will do my lights in my armour.

2. Voltage and AMPS. If a you are using a 9 volt battery on a 3.3 volt LED guess what it will work and be bright but not for long! It will burn the LED and the project will fail if you are not using a voltage regulator
Sorry, not quite. A 3.3v LED can absolutely be placed on a 9 volt battery using a resistor. It will not burn out or run hot.

LED Voltage Rating: Make sure your battery is greater than the LED's voltage
LED Current Rating: Choose the correct resistor for your LED and battery combination, use a calculator.

In your example of a 3.3 volt LED and a 9 volt battery, a constant 3.3 volts would be dropped across the LED (it's a diode), the remaining voltage would be found across the resistor. 5.7 volts

Choosing the correct resistor is still important. For a 9 volt battery and a 3.3 volt LED, the calculator below suggests using two LEDs wired in series with a common 100 ohm resistor to achieve a reasonable 25mA of current.

Some reading
Current limiting Resistor calculator for leds
Basics: Picking Resistors for LEDs | Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories

Sorry, not quite. A 3.3v LED can absolutely be placed on a 9 volt battery using a resistor. It will not burn out or run hot.

LED Voltage Rating: Make sure your battery is greater than the LED's voltage
LED Current Rating: Choose the correct resistor for your LED and battery combination, use a calculator.

In your example of a 3.3 volt LED and a 9 volt battery, a constant 3.3 volts would be dropped across the LED (it's a diode), the remaining voltage would be found across the resistor. 5.7 volts

Choosing the correct resistor is still important. For a 9 volt battery and a 3.3 volt LED, the calculator below suggests using two LEDs wired in series with a common 100 ohm resistor to achieve a reasonable 25mA of current.

Some reading
Current limiting Resistor calculator for leds
Basics: Picking Resistors for LEDs | Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories

You are right when writing this it was a little out of rage I am sorry but I 100% agree with your findings thank you!

I would like to add some side notes....... Since I was new to this but was successful in adding LED's to my Projects. A lot came from trial an error.

1) Resistors, Resistors, Resistors. The LED's will absolutely, Burn out if you over volt them. You can run them without them but if you will be changing them out as they will burn out!
2) 9v Battery's can run white LEDs 3.3v in series of 2 Minimum, Single LED will burn out and 3 will be a good even light but 4 will not have enough juice to power them. You can run 3 LEDs in sets Parallel on a 9v source but it will kill the battery fast depending on how many sets you use. I had 3 sets of 2 LEDs on 1, 9v and it lasted me almost 2 hours.
3) Soldering works wonders and probably the safest, but I wont lie, Hot glue, and black electrical tape worked out for my project.
4) Pay attention as all LED's are not Created equal. Color differences have different Volts, so dont go 9v crazy on the bulbs
5) Christmas LED's to me are one of the greatest values, String of 50 LED's for $6.99, $.14cents an LED. Cant go wrong with that, there are 4 LED's with resistors in them already on top of the prefabed housing and the wiring. You just cut what you need and wire it up. Just remember the LED's are Polar so you need to find the positive and negative!

Cant think of anything else, if I do I will respond, Have fun and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back