Metal Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aluminium is very tricky to weld. The weld likes to ball up. That or it just kind gets burnt looking =/ Id suggest against welding anything other than steel.

Fuzzydicerule said:
after thinking about it, yeah, im still gonna do it in metal, but probably just the helmet, and maybe the shoes and the gloves, and other smallish things. i think for wieght and ease of construction, the rest would have to be fiberglass

as for smothing it out, i plan on using some elbow grease and bondo (aka metal halmmers an d dollys) and to make the bends, im going to do a cardstock pepakura, and then eyeball the metal off of that
and alot of cars are still made of steel
I look forward to seeing you quit and make one for real in cardstock. But good luck i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to be less negative Frost, let him try it out... if you have tried something and you know it wont work, then I suggest you post so, but lighten up on people... lots of people are trying something new here and you don't want to scare anyone off...

don't, it will be way, way too heavy, if you want it metal, make a pep one first for form, then use sheets of aluminum, much easier to work with, and much lighter.

Spase said:
This would be very difficult, I do agree there, but I would be very impressed if you actually completed a made from metal set of armor... then all you have to do is get your cyborg implant and your own AI, and you could be a chief....
Cyborg implant, mind training to never stand in one place, steel bone replacements, hormones blocked out, chips crammed in your head...
MC had it hard since he was transformed into a Spartan.
At childhood.

Spase said:
Try to be less negative Frost, let him try it out... if you have tried something and you know it wont work, then I suggest you post so, but lighten up on people... lots of people are trying something new here and you don't want to scare anyone off...
I'm not being negitive, I'm telling the truth, any armor made of any metal will be too heavy, just because it is metal, aluminum wouldnt be as heavy, be it's not very strong in thin sheets, then a sheet thick enough to withstand a blow is too heavy, He can try making the armor if he wants, But I can highly say from experience, metal isnt easy to work with like cutting paper with a pair of scissors.

way to be supportive frost

like i said, im probably gonna use a light steel, shouldnt be too heave, and probably only the helmet, gauntlets, boots, and possibly shoulders, the really big stuff will be in fiberglass

and yes, like i said, im gonna make the pep. one for refrence

Are you going to measure the degree of angle for every fold? If not, the steel will snap if you miss-bend a peice. Do you also have a welder? If you do, then I can sorta see it happening.

Ill let you in on a little secret.I work at a newspaper printing plant and we use aluminium plates 24x36 and 44x66 when the job is printed the plates get tossed for recycling.You could probably buy for recycle cost.Now i live in the lower mainland of British Columbia if by chance anyone lives around me and wants to tackle it i will even print the pep files onto an unused plate for you no cost.

im gonna eyeball it off of the cardstock pep. and hand form it, just inprovise. and yes, i have about 10 sheets of mild steel, and all three kinds of welders at hand

Good lucky fuzzy. Take lots of pictures and post them. I think the hand and foot pieces would easily be doable in mild steel. In fact I think that's a great idea. The helmet.. well if you can pull it off Kudos man, a lot of people will be eating crow. look forward to seeing some construction pics.

yeah, unfortunately, i underestimated the complications in getting the sizings right with pepakura

so it may be a while before construction begins, but im making a helmet now, if it fits, then were good

yeah, unfortunately, i underestimated the complications in getting the sizings right with pepakura

so it may be a while before construction begins, but im making a helmet now, if it fits, then were good

So did you finish in the end? I am thinking of making metal armour too and I would really like to know how you went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back