How to get a tint on a visor and look through it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNSCSpartan117

Alright, so I'm planning to have the visor mirrored.

But, my friend got on my case about not making the visor tint like the Chief's. So, I've decided to tint it.

The problem for me is.... How? Trying to make a visor mirrored and tinted sounds impossible to me, but then again, I am a noob cosplayer.

Go to an auto body store and buy some Tinting film and apply it to plex glass or w/r you are using for your visor

There are many options for tinting the visor.
One is as colbs stated, window tint from an autobody or auto parts store, like AutoZone or Advanced Auto. You can even find it at places like Walmart for under $12.

Another is doing a dye job with a product called iDye. you can find it at Joanne's fabrics, or Hobby Lobby. It is a dye for polyester clothing. Cosplay4usall have a great tutorial on how to dye it <Here>.

A third option is to get tinted window glazing paint. You can purchase it at most craftstores. This option might leave swirls and streaks depending on how smoothly and what type of brush you use to do it.

A fourth option is to get one way mirror tinting film. Something like <This>

You can also look at < this thread. > It has a few different options as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're doing a Spartan helmet, are you able to use a motorcycle visor? Most helmets have the domed visor, so the pre-made visors work best (Granted, I don't know what most of the H4 helmets look like). The motorcycle visors are great because they already have the shape, and are perfectly mirrored, so you don't have to worry about applying anything, and you can see through them no problem.

If you're doing another style visor, like the ODST or EVA helms, you can try tint film, but most films don't apply to compound surfaces well; you'll end up with a lot of bubbles.

If you are doing a custom visor, especially if you vacuum form one, and you have an airbrush, I recommend Redshirt's tutorial. You basically spray a thin aluminum paint on the visor, and buff it when it dries. Although it won't be mirror quality, you're never gonna see yourself, it does reflect light. It's the same way a two-way mirror is made/works. Since its brighter outside than inside, you can see outside, but people can't see in. The best part is, if you do the mirroring right, you can spray any color transparent paint you want on the outside, and still see through it. The only downside is it does get a little foggy.

There are many options for tinting the visor.
One is as colbs stated, window tint from an autobody or auto parts store, like AutoZone or Advanced Auto. You can even find it at places like Walmart for under $12.

Another is doing a dye job with a product called iDye. you can find it at Joanne's fabrics, or Hobby Lobby. It is a dye for polyester clothing. Cosplay4usall have a great tutorial on how to dye it <Here>.

A third option is to get tinted window glazing paint. You can purchase it at most craftstores. This option might leave swirls and streaks depending on how smoothly and what type of brush you use to do it.

A fourth option is to get one way mirror tinting film. Something like <This>

You can also look at < this thread. > It has a few different options as well.

When I tint the lexan I have for the visor, will I be able to look through AND have a mirrored effect on the outside of the visor?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the idye method so you can see for yourself what the results will look like <----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back