how about some real armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgesxlr

I've been thinking it over for a few years, and I think a functional set could be built using hydraulics for power. Most of the joints are fairay simple, with a few exceptions. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure there is a guy on Youtube who has been making a functional exosuit that lets him lift heavy stuff, I haven't looked into it much so I don't really know his channel or anything.

Not unless you have a few million dollars worth of fabrication machinery, computers, R&D, military/government investing and your name is DARPA.

One of the problems with exoskeleton armor/power suits is the power source. Unlike tony stark and his arc reactor, we are limited to lithium batteries, and those suits would eventually fail after a couple hours of use so unless we can come up with an unlimited supply of power, real armor/exoskeletonsuits are not practical. Maybe someone can invent a micro nuclear reactor and integrate it into a suit, kinda like Pacific rim and the jaegers, but then again, no one would wear a suit that would slowly kill them with radiation and could go nuclear if it's damaged :p

The dude who's making the mini warthog is also making a metal version of the armor no fancy hydrolic tho

I'm looking at making a metal suit too, aluminum is the best way to go, light weight, looks good, and very easy to mold. :)

28 gauge steel would also be good. Its light, can be bent easy and in my opinion is easier to weld than aluminum. It can be stamped also. I have seen some mid-evil armor suits made with 28 gauge that were light weight and strong.

As for the exoskeleton armor even if it was a reality I would not be a big fan of it. If I can't do what I need in my regular armor I am sure as a red baboon's butt that I don't want a suit that does things for me.

True, you could do steel, but they overall weight is much heavier. Where as I plan to use the aluminum, with a dual layer effect on the chest to make it be able to stop 9mm real live fire. :)

If I had the funds..., I would commission the same (local to me) bicycle shop that nasa commissions to make the body of the mars rovers to make titanium parts for an armor suit, and warthog.

I'm looking at making a metal suit too, aluminum is the best way to go, light weight, looks good, and very easy to mold. :)

Take it from me, aluminium is NOT easier to work with than steel. It's less forgiving to bend and prone to snap/break, it's MUCH harder to weld and is far less forgiving. If you are worried about the weight of steel, you can use very thin cold-rolled sheet steel. It bends and cuts very easily, is very soft, welding is a breeze and you can bend it many times without it breaking. Cheaper than aluminium too.

If I had the funds..., I would commission the same (local to me) bicycle shop that nasa commissions to make the body of the mars rovers to make titanium parts for an armor suit, and warthog.​

If I remember, the military is working on projects just like this and, consistently, the problem is a power source. Our battery technology is actually really bulky and inefficient, and it doesn't work very well when you have to tie the thing to a generator.

If I had the funds..., I would commission the same (local to me) bicycle shop that nasa commissions to make the body of the mars rovers to make titanium parts for an armor suit, and warthog.​

Was this supposed to add something to my post or ask a question or something?

Take it from me, aluminium is NOT easier to work with than steel. It's less forgiving to bend and prone to snap/break, it's MUCH harder to weld and is far less forgiving. If you are worried about the weight of steel, you can use very thin cold-rolled sheet steel. It bends and cuts very easily, is very soft, welding is a breeze and you can bend it many times without it breaking. Cheaper than aluminium too.

I hear ya on that, but if you heat up aluminum first and then bend it, it works much nicer, plus you can get some nice curves that way too. My friend is a high end welder/fabricator, we've been brainstorming ideas for a couple years now, heh. :)

I hear ya on that, but if you heat up aluminum first and then bend it, it works much nicer, plus you can get some nice curves that way too. My friend is a high end welder/fabricator, we've been brainstorming ideas for a couple years now, heh. :)

Yes, it's called annealing. I hope you or your friend is willing to put in many hours welding. It takes a lot longer than steel welding and is very easy to blow it. I have bugger all experience welding aluminium. If you check my thread you will see the problems I had due to lack of experience. Even the guy who lent me his TIG welder and came to show me how to weld, said this, "I have 20 years experience TIG welding and even I would find a project like this VERY daunting. You need at LEAST a couple of years practice before even CONSIDERING an advanced TIG welding project like this."

What he said there was enough to put up red flags for me and make me go back to steel.

Steel can also be very soft and pliable. Try cold-rolled mild steel sheet. Wonderful stuff.

If you want to go with aluminimum, I applaud you for your determination and even more for your skill if you pull it off! I'm just saying I had to try it to realise my limits in skill and time. Aluminium will take a LOT longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back