ODST build with EVA foam + M6 SOCOM (COMPLETE, for now..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ODST build with EVA foam

just a great job all around' well done on keeping it clean and the detail you have put in just super

Welp. I was wrapping up for the day and de-masking all my parts I got around to painting today, but the gun slipped and I left a glaring thumb print in the curing rubber as I caught it...
IMG_20141111_193446.jpgIMG_20141111_193507.jpg
It should have cured already but I think the cold suspended the process slightly. Oh well, far from the worst luck I've had haha
IMG_20141111_154757.jpgIMG_20141111_154821.jpg
Here's some of my more successful attempts

It's looking very nice and semi-metallic!

Photo Nov 11, 20 07 49.jpg

Is this the one you're using? Spotted it at Lowe's for about $3.50 when I was there the other day getting auto primer, so I figured I'd grab a can. Not sure there's a spot for it on my BR85, but it might work for my M6x.

Looking good. The paint is clean, but am I mistaken, or did you opt not to use some sort of foam sealant?

More metallic colour than I'd use, but these are all personal tastes. Altogether, it's nice and clean. Can't wait to see the full thing.

RobTC that's the stuff! I like it a lot, but it will crack if its applied heavily to areas with flex, so go light there. Great for the gun grip, I find. When I'm not flubbing it with my clumsiness that is. I can't get over that US pricing, amazing, I think I'd buy a crate at that number!
FoxtrotZero the foam is sealed in most places using the stuff RobTC posted. The thing is that the remaining metallic is catching the light in an unflattering way. I haven't started weathering or even buffed away the paint dust, so it should look more uniform and matte soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, once again I jump to conclusions with my limited experience. Somehow my brain didn't really process the concept that that's not the final appearance, probably something to do with the UNSC decals.

Yeah, that's like, the "factory floor" look. Doubt it'll look like that much longer. :p It is a good thing to be semi-metallic though, I think. After H2- and ODST in particular, being a neonoir- everything's "glinting". I'm coming to terms with that on my BR85. Even parts that look matte or textured from one angle are very shiny from another.

Just checked the receipt, Moose. $3.31. Worth a trip across the border? Lol.

OK just a wee little update.
I made some adjustments and improvements to my dummy and thought I'd share since its pertinent to the process. I use packing tape in place of duct tape for one thing, just cheaper and captures a more accurate form. And secondly I go through the trouble of adding cardboard "bones" to retain the form and provide a means of positioning.
IMG_20141112_160259.jpg
Just thought that might be useful to someone, maybe.
And I also snapped some shots of everything together for the first time, even though completion has got a ways to go. Still have not done anything to the paint, very much a "factory floor look" lol RobTC
IMG_20141112_233849.jpgIMG_20141112_233922.jpgIMG_20141112_233947.jpg
I dunno if this was really post worthy, but I was excited, haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Definitely looks like an improvement to use packing tape, its thinness yet toughness are clearly winning over the duct tape. Maybe people use duct tape in order to build in a quarter inch or so leeway, I dunno. I love the idea of the skeleton, it makes perfect sense.

Getting everything together for the first time is totally postworthy! I keep putting all of my parts together hoping, but the one thing that doesn't hold (other than the grip, which isn't a problem) is the stock skeleton since it's a butt join to the UR/rail skeleton, and since I haven't done the front barrel end yet, playing with it now is more like a scifi shotgun. Coming together enough now that I plan to have a picdump/blog link thread up in the next few days.

Anyway, overall, it's looking pretty magnificent. I kinda think you're gonna have to rework the M6C/S a little so its plainness doesn't seem incongruent with the armour. It's very matte black at the minute, though maybe you're intending to dry brush silver all over it and haven't got that far yet.

I don't know if this is a thing, but I tried it as a cost-cutting measure on my last project and it worked very nicely, but instead of using Rub'n'Buff or metalizer laquer on edges, just spray some cheap silver spray paint (the kind with aluminium dust in) into a cut-off drink bottle top half and then cotton bud the resulting puddle in the lid over the edges you're wearing. Works better when you physically alter the edge too, like a slight dent or scratches (I whacked it with coarse sanding belt).

Photo Aug 12, 16 51 49.jpg

The gun will be receiving more paint, alongside my painting of the suit. I just like doing everything in stages together.
That's a great solution to my current problem with the cold, since I want to be able to finish the rest of the painting indoors. Have you found that if you actually reseal the bottle you can preserve the paint for short periods? (Thinking hours, not days)
Edit: sorry, you said cut off bottle top, duh. Question stands though, think I could squeeze some more working time out of it?

If you have a flat surface you can leave the lid-and-bottle-half together on standing on the lid, I don't see why you couldn't cover the cut-off over with plastic food wrap to dry to slow the drying process. That said, I just did a few short sprays and then used it for a minute or two at a time. Since the colour doesn't change between sprays and the paint doesn't really gum up the bottle cap thread, it's reusable. I still have the same one in the pic down in the shop on the paint bench all these months later, as far as I'm aware.

I for one am always eager to see more, even if you feel like you didn't make much in the way of progress. It's pretty cool to see the whole thing together. I feel like if I had complete suit, I'd invest in a mannequin and put it up in my home like a suit of medieval plate.

I'm not entirely certain I understand your painting method, but I know if I wait around long enough it'll all be clear to me. Also looking forward to seeing the helmet with a visor and a coat of colour. I'm still really impressed by the amount of detail you managed with cardboard. I was going to ask if you were going to bondo and sand it some, but then I took a closer look and realized you hardly need to.

OK so the cold has taken hold in my neck 'o the woods and I've opted to go the non-toxic route in light of this. Before applying plaster I sanded down any outlying resin and bathed the bucket in PVA.
IMG_20141116_160121.jpg
Its a slow process but it will shape up soon, I promise :thumbsup and a lot of people have concerns about the brittleness of plaster but the PVA inside and out eliminates most issues when its over a resin-hardened surface.

looking very good so far'
for what it's wroth PVA was a good choice ive used it several times for prop projects in the past and it has never let me down it should hold up for you.

looking very good so far'
for what it's wroth PVA was a good choice ive used it several times for prop projects in the past and it has never let me down it should hold up for you.

Oh believe me I know, haha
Its been a must have in my kit for as long as I can remember. So many uses!

Excuse the double.

So I've been out of commission for the last while as I was hit with a relentless and mysterious allergic reaction. Never had one so I was caught off guard, to say the least. However, the swelling has finally subsided to the point where I could get working again and I went full throttle at my first layer of plaster. Next up is a skim coat, then seal/prime for imperfections and spot filling.
IMG_20141130_212412.jpgIMG_20141130_212500.jpg
The first plaster layer usually doesn't even come out this well so I'm happy that I can make up for some lost time by skipping a layer.
In the downtime I had, I tinkered with the idea of adding a simple night vision component to the bucket. I have and old camera I took apart and some high power infrared LEDs. Has anyone seen something like that done that they could point me too?

Yeah, looking very nice.

Only thing you should have to be aware of with the IR camera is to take out the IR-cutoff filter from on top of the sensor. The exact mechanism to do that varies by model though.

Looks nice dude! Really good plaster and foam work.

The NOD idea, I just wonder how you'd fit it in the helmet? The only one I could think of were PVS-21s but they're like $20000.... I may have completely missed the point though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back