ODST build with EVA foam + M6 SOCOM (COMPLETE, for now..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00sem4n

EDIT: Suit's mostly finished, plenty of shots in post #121 (pg.5) TOP20.JPG

Hello all you gifted individuals, I'm a long time lurker emerging and showing some work for the first time. Please be gentle.
This is not my first build, but my self-consciousness and rapidly shifting attentions have kept me from finishing something i can/want to show.

I started practicing with EVA foam a couple years ago and recently decided to apply what i learned to a full suit of ODST armour. This project was started a couple weeks ago when i found myself with an abundance of free time. Unfortunately, I began snapping shots well into the process, so I'm sorry for being unable to provide thorough documentation. I know how helpful I personally find the progress shots of others so i will attempt to contribute more as I go.

Now enough words, pics!
IMG_20141013_133028.jpgIMG_20141013_133014.jpgIMG_20141014_041855.jpg
The leg pieces are proving difficult to properly seat, but I'm getting there and will post when i have everything right where i want it.
IMG_20141020_215029.jpgIMG_20141014_001534.jpgIMG_20141014_032700.jpg
I'm pleased with the hip segments for the most part, but as you can see i got a little carried away with some the details. I hope it doesn't become too troublesome when it comes time to paint, since those pieces are glued.
IMG_20141020_214803.jpgIMG_20141020_215327.jpgIMG_20141013_132902.jpg
I may revisit these shoulders, and i will need to add the bicep plates.
IMG_20141013_132914.jpgIMG_20141017_032605.jpgIMG_20141020_214718.jpg
There is some more and I will try to post later, along with my thanks to the appropriate modelers that saved me hours of template making (I didn't forget about you guys, recent hard-drive trouble has just thrust my filing system into chaos). Please lemme know what you think so far, and does anyone know where i can easily get my hands on varied thicknesses of craft foam in Canada? I can't seem to reliably source 4-6mm.

Thanks for your time!

IMG_20141013_133028.jpg

IMG_20141013_133014.jpg

IMG_20141014_041855.jpg

IMG_20141020_215029.jpg

IMG_20141014_001534.jpg

IMG_20141014_032700.jpg

IMG_20141020_214803.jpg

IMG_20141020_215327.jpg

IMG_20141013_132902.jpg

IMG_20141013_132914.jpg

IMG_20141017_032605.jpg

IMG_20141020_214718.jpg

TOP20.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ODST build with EVA foam

I've also been a lurker plagued by attention-shifting, finally trying to finish something of a showable standard! High-five!

More experienced armour-builders may vary, but I think it looks excellent. Sharp, crisp details, good symmetry, not too much "thin-foam-wobble".

In fact, I can only see two possible things wrong; the hip plate grooves and the sternum rectangular indents are a little wobbly, but not significantly and especially not under painting and finishing. And second, the centre hexagonal protrusion in what I think are the shoulder pieces looks a little off-centre, but you said you might be revisiting those anyway.

I'm more of a weapon guy though, so take that as you will. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Thank you both muchly! I'm glad you took the time to scrutinize the photos like that, RobTC. I began with the torso assets and much of it ended up doing by eye so there are definitely some parts that could use tweaking.

Also spot on about the shoulders, but that is because they were just sitting loosely, haha
IMG_20141024_115533.jpg
And here is a better look at the torso, since i noticed how poor the lighting in the other shots was. Also a shot for the arm piece proportions.
IMG_20141024_115336.jpgIMG_20141024_120213.jpg
Some new parts. I let the shins sit in piles like this for a couple nights, I was not looking forward to starting what i considered the most difficult parts.
IMG_20141020_011415.jpgIMG_20141020_214629.jpgIMG_20141022_015109.jpgIMG_20141024_115821.jpgIMG_20141024_115640.jpg
Cardboard is actually my favorite medium, and over the years I've become very comfortable and confident with it in all its forms.I have recently been practicing modeling much more organic shapes with it so I felt prepared to start this ODST helmet. Having said that, Hugh Holder pulled much of the weight here for me with his superb model, so huge thanks to hugh for this and all the other components I used as a base when making my templates!
IMG_20141024_120728.jpgIMG_20141024_120739.jpgIMG_20141024_120809.jpg
BONUS! Here we have my 6 or 7 year old first real attempt at prop making. I was in middle-school and endeavored to make this with only household non-toxic materials since I had a very young brother at the time. Its all hot glue, white glue, paper and plaster. I have long since handed it off to that same brother and i think its taken the beating well, considering what its made of, haha
IMG_20141024_120704.jpgIMG_20141024_120936.jpg
Please share thoughts or questions of any kind!
Thanks for reading :thumbsup

nice! your work is super clean! definitely one of the best odst foam armor ive seen!

Wobbly stretched craft foam is one of my major concerns when it comes to foam builds, it's the main reason why I haven't started a foam build yet until I can come up with some reliable system of ensuring smooth lines. Maybe a steel rule or some kind of plastic piping as a temporary spacer when doing parallel lines. But then, what about concentric circles?! Hahah. I'm pretty sure at this point it's more paranoia than healthy concern though.

The torso and arm proportion shots are my favourite, very cool.

It looks like you've achieved some kind of compound curvature on the top of the helmet, even above and beyond the darting that you've cut into the cardboard? How is that possible? I have a LOT of cardboard (Amazon Prime...) lying around.

Wobbly stretched craft foam is one of my major concerns when it comes to foam builds, it's the main reason why I haven't started a foam build yet until I can come up with some reliable system of ensuring smooth lines. Maybe a steel rule or some kind of plastic piping as a temporary spacer when doing parallel lines. But then, what about concentric circles?! Hahah. I'm pretty sure at this point it's more paranoia than healthy concern though.

The torso and arm proportion shots are my favourite, very cool.

It looks like you've achieved some kind of compound curvature on the top of the helmet, even above and beyond the darting that you've cut into the cardboard? How is that possible? I have a LOT of cardboard (Amazon Prime...) lying around.

I share your concerns with regard to the thinner foam. I have always just been sure to apply thin fast drying layers of hot glue to the thicker of the two materials to be joined, since it is the prolonged heat that distorts the foam. For larger pieces I actually do use a steel ruler pressed against the foam when gluing to apply even pressure. As for the stretching, I have grown to rely on it, haha. giving a piece a lil' stretch along a long edge really helps keep it crisp and even.

The cardboard is a lot more pliable than some seem to think. Just work it with your hands and learn where you need to collapse the corrugation to achieve the look you need. I also use varying thicknesses and different types as needed.
IMG_20141024_191649.jpgIMG_20141024_191731.jpg
Get practicing and you might be surprised how much you can do with it! Sounds like the perfect time if you've got a pile sitting about. I try to always keep some on hand, myself. :rolleyes
IMG_20141024_191353.jpgIMG_20141024_191519.jpg
No update on the armor tonight, sorry for that. Perhaps tomorrow since I predict a sleepless night, haha

Thanks for your time!

Build is looking really well done :)
I have to say though, i love how you made your odst shoulders. I might have to steal that idea when i make mine lol. if you dont mind anyways :)

Hey all, just a mini update to keep the ball rolling. I will have more into the evening.
So I started rigging it all together last night and test fitting everything i had for the first time. Getting this shot was a bit of a balancing act to keep it all in place, haha, and that may be why some of it looks a bit off.
20141025_000101.jpg20141024_234243.jpg20141025_000200.jpg
Also, this is all just a first pass up to this point to avoid having to redo annoying detail on parts, so I will be going over and adding in some of the smaller details you may notice are missing now that I am pleased with it.

Mstruvmgc, thanks and of course go right ahead! They are made using altered files by Hugh Holder, so I would recommend starting there too :thumbsup

20141024_234243.jpg

20141025_000101.jpg

20141025_000101.jpg

20141024_234243.jpg

20141025_000200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, I was hoping for some more traffic to avoid double posting but this update is already later than promised.

I decided to recycle an old pair of shoes for the boots. I was pleased to learn the EVA was dense enough to sustain simply being screwing into the soles since I expect these will take a beating. The expected wear is also why I've opted to omit much of the detail on these pieces, just in case they fall apart on me. If they hold up I will spend the time on detail.
IMG_20141026_192343.jpgIMG_20141027_010525.jpgIMG_20141027_010727.jpg
I may also spend some time altering the soles to give them a more formidable "combat boot" look if I can gather the patience. Buying boots isn't an option atm.

I went back and added a heavy-duty velcro loop under the aesthetic buckle plate to hold the load bearing belt in place, as its necessity became clear after the test fit pictured in the previous post. There's also a shot of the inside of the vest showing how everything is tied on to allow for easy painting, positioning, and replacement in need be. The third pic is just the crotch plate with adjustable rigging since i think it will be a finicky part.
IMG_20141027_013149.jpgIMG_20141027_013312.jpgIMG_20141027_010820.jpg

And the last bit of progress I made was on the thighs, filling in some of that detail I've been putting off.
IMG_20141027_034707.jpgIMG_20141027_035902.jpg

pls pls pls share thoughts and questions, and my next update will likely have some more helmet progress. I use unconventional methods so it should get interesting, I hope, haha

Looks awesome! I think the bottom of the outer plate on the thigh could use just a little more rounding, if it's supposed to be perfectly rounded anyway. I don't have reference right in front of me while looking at these.

As long as the EVA on the shoe isn't taking the brunt of the wear, there shouldn't be a problem adding detail. You could even mitigate risk by making the detail as a separate plate to Velcro on, so if the shoes fall apart you can transfer it to new ones.

Holy hell mate, that's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. You're clearly very good with foam, I used some a while back and while I can see why it's good, I personally hate working with the stuff. Shame, since I'm probably going to end up going back to a bunch of EVA for the soft torso armour.

So yeah, it looks good. How are you going to finish it? Is there some stiffening process for the foam, or do you just leave it soft? Going to use plasti-dip? Personally, I'd like to know a little more about how you've decided to attach everything together.

Hey all, computer trouble has halted my progress and delayed the update I had planned. I've been knee deep in computer parts and technical jargon trying to solve this riddle but in the mean time I bought some paint and will be posting about my helmet, how I'm going to approach sealing the foam (if I even do, since I am really unimpressed with plastidip.) and, with any luck, splash some paint (weather permitting). I've got nothing but time so soon might mean tomorrow or the next day, I really am trying to keep this momentum since its the fastest I've ever worked.

At the very least I will make an effort to post a shot of the full up-to-date suit tomorrow and try to address FoxTrotZero's interest in rigging (it will probably appear disappointingly simple, haha).

And just in general thanks for all the support! let me know if there are any specific pics I should add and if anyone would like further clarification on anything else, help me help you.

Whoa, on my behalf? I'm honored. It doesn't have to be complex for me to gain understanding from it, though. Seeing things that work helps one make things that work.

And I'm decently tech savvy, built my own computer. Let me know if I can help you out.

Here we go, not as big of an update as I'd hoped (visually anyway, been a lot of behind the scenes tweaking) but hopefully copious amounts of pictures makes up for it!
Here we have me, awkwardly attempting to demonstrate mobility and, admittedly, showing off a lil'. I'm pretty happy with where this is headed.
IMG_20141029_171421.jpgIMG_20141029_171541.jpgIMG_20141029_171626.jpgIMG_20141029_171617.jpgIMG_20141029_172016.jpg
IMG_20141029_171509.jpgIMG_20141029_171557.jpgIMG_20141029_172044.jpgIMG_20141029_171911.jpgIMG_20141029_172839.jpg
Now, unfortunately I didn't capture this at its best since this was a fitting session, after which I immediately made alterations to the fit and Detail. The good news is that I'm all set to begin painting and I have started heat treating the components appropriately to achieve contrast in areas and prep for paint. I'm super lazy when it comes this close to completion and just want to churn stuff out so I am going to try and get the looking I'm going for without applying some sort of conventional sealer.

Here are those Rigging pics I promised. What did I say, pretty lack-luster huh? Haha, the foam is light enough that I can get away with just this and everything feels firm and very much in place.

The vest, lots of holes, holes everywhere.
IMG_20141029_195427.jpgIMG_20141029_195512.jpgIMG_20141029_195548.jpg

And all the pieces that fill said holes.
IMG_20141029_195342.jpgIMG_20141029_195807.jpg

Then we have the belt (Which is held up by the vest) and all its components. I've still rigged this in a way that shifts all downward pull to my hips. Even in a foam build this is important because its not just weight you're fighting, every time you bend pieces loosen, shift, and then you're fighting friction. keep in mind. ;)
IMG_20141029_195714.jpgIMG_20141029_195947.jpg

Here's the stomach detail I added after the fitting. burning that hole indoors was a mistake btw, headache inducing, but still worth it.
IMG_20141029_205231.jpgIMG_20141029_213942.jpg

Thats all for me, I'll be out tomorrow solving this ongoing computer trouble thats holding me back so painting may or may not happen. And thanks FoxtrotZero for the offer but I'm afraid I'm a techy too and this has turned out to be one hell of a stumper. I cannot narrow it down (ultra integration these days) but I think its a just a lemon component, whatayagonnado, right..

As a little bonus and small victory for me, I finally convinced my 12yo bro to get into prop building on a larger more serious scale and I think he's got a knack for it. Good mentor or something, I suppose :cool
IMG_20141029_192929.jpg

Well.

I'm floored. That looks spectacular. Everything fits extremely well, your attention to detail (as well as your ability to implement that detail) is seriously beyond my comprehension, but apparantley some people are very good with foam. I hope you realize you've just donated a treasure trove of reference images.

I didn't expect you'd rig the vest up by tying things through holes in it, but I guess you can get away with that, given that it's foam. What thickness of foam did you use for the actual vest, because all I have laying around is some half-inch stuff, and while I think that might be good for the shoulders and collar, it might be too thick for the torso proper (and I intend to use something like 6mm craft foam for the inner thighs, I'll have to figure out where to get that).

I wrote a rant about a concept I had for the support structure, and it actually seemed pretty solid (but I removed it because it was a rant and I think I've highjacked your thread enough). A large part of it was having to see how things in the waist-belt region interplay between the plates and the vest, and if done right, you could hide a sizable weight support belt under the belt/hip/arse plates. Which you sort of did.

Anyway, seriously, it looks spectacular, and I can't wait to see what it's like with the finished paint job and helmet. Good job on getting your brother into the hobby, and good luck with your computer problems. They certainly can be fickle beasts, remind me to tell you about the time I couldn't install Windows because of a PCI card.

Actually, that kinda was the story...

Firstly let me throw some thanks your way!
The vest is actually 1/4 inch, from one of those huge floor mats that come rolled. I chose it initially due to it being much easier to form complex shapes with. I have since started thinking 1/2 inch would yield a better result though. Oh well this is why I kept everything modular, so I will see how motivated I am to fix that whole vest and the back armor that's built into it after I'm done with what I have.

you could hide a sizable weight support belt under the belt/hip/arse plates. Which you sort of did.

You certainly can. Plenty of room to affix buckles or adjustable belt loops to the vest discretely or hidden beneath the hip segments. I chose accuracy before comfort in my builds, so the decision to shift my perceived waistline was to maintain some of the unrealistic in game proportions and keep everything looking as it should.

Firstly let me throw some thanks your way!
The vest is actually 1/4 inch, from one of those huge floor mats that come rolled. I chose it initially due to it being much easier to form complex shapes with. I have since started thinking 1/2 inch would yield a better result though. Oh well this is why I kept everything modular, so I will see how motivated I am to fix that whole vest and the back armor that's built into it after I'm done with what I have.
Hey, man. Credit where credit is due, you did a smashing job. I'm glad to hear that's the case, as 1/2 inch is what I happen to have on hand, hopefully enough to make the vest components.

You certainly can. Plenty of room to affix buckles or adjustable belt loops to the vest discretely or hidden beneath the hip segments. I chose accuracy before comfort in my builds, so the decision to shift my perceived waistline was to maintain some of the unrealistic in game proportions and keep everything looking as it should.
Yeah, I think I'll wait until I have all the parts, and then make the base of the rigging system (the hip and shoulder parts arranged in the most comfortable fashion), and then see what has to be done to make the plates fit on said system in the most visually appealing way. For the hips I was thinking about getting some 3" nylon strapping and, if possible, some dual-density foam (like you'd get on a high quality backpack) and using that (with the rest of the rigging being 1.5in, and any excess foam being used wherever it's most comfortable). My only real question is what to do about the pauldrons, but I've still got a few ideas, albeit potentially overly-complex ones.

I'm starting to feel bad, though, because I'm using your thread to bounce ideas off of you, so if you'd rather I move this discussion to my own thread, or perhaps we continue in private messaging, let me know. This thread should be about your (very impressive) build, not my pipe dreams. Altogether, how much would you say it weighs?

wow your cardboard skills are TOP!! and your Foam lines are really clean. Great work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back