First Destiny Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostarr

So I've finally entered the intimidating world that is Pepakura. For my first project, I decided to make a Warlock helmet from Destiny. One thing I didn't quite think about was sizing of the helmet. I know that it can fit but I can't get my head through the hole (that's what she said). Anyway, is there a way I can cut the piece in two and somehow secure them together? What would be the best way given that I use fiberglass resin and rondo in this build? Where would the best attachment points be?

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPG

If we could get a picture of the underside of the helm it would probably help. It's possible that you could just cut a piece off of the bottom and be good.

You could cut a section put of the back and make a hatch like sYstem you can also lose that rim no ones going to see it

Yeah, like colbs said, take the rim on the bottom off. If it fits, great! If it doesn't, well, you'll have to make a hinge or slide of some sort.

Looks good for your first build! I remember my first helmet I built, it was a wreck, and I would have never pulled of a model without using edge ids! Good job!

You might want to clean up some of the hotglue strings and such on the outside of the helmet, it will help a lot when proceeding to the hardening and smoothing stages!

As for the sizing issue, your first choice should be to remove some of the rim, since it's basically never seen by anyone but yourself! This is probably the easiest method, and I would recommend you to do it before hardening the helmet!

Yeah, like colbs said, take the rim on the bottom off. If it fits, great! If it doesn't, well, you'll have to make a hinge or slide of some sort.

If it comes to that point of having to use a slide or hinge, how would I go about doing that? Do you have an example of someone doing this?

If you think that would make your head fit. I'd probably only take out the bottom two rows, because you really don't need to take all of that out.

*UPDATE*
First coat of resin applied to helmet

So if I have this in my head right, the next step is to Rondo the inside of it correct?

10698654_869420623079491_1279757685839618024_n.jpg

The next step isn't entirely set in stone. Some people just mix up some rondo and swish it around, then repeat until they get the desired thickness, but rondo alone can be fairly brittle and won't have much flex to it, which makes it better for props. If you want better durability and a bit more flexibility, you'll want to go with fiberglass cloth or mat. Spread some resin, lay down the fiberglass, let it cure, then do it again until you get the desired thickness. If you do cloth, to my understanding it's better to do as large of an area with one piece as possible to reduce the number of seams (weak spots), whereas with the fiberglass mat, because it's somewhat loosely packed fibers (as opposed to the woven cloth) you can just rip pieces off and lay them down bit by bit to cover the inside. In either case once you have enough layers built up (2 minimum, some go even thicker) you'll want to sand the inside and then do rondo to get it nice and smooth (resined fiberglass can be very sharp, and you don't want to essentially shove your head into a big bowl of it).

After that step comes bondo and sanding on the outside to get things nice and smooth (expect to repeat the bondo-sand process a few times if you want the smoothest results with no pockmarks or dimples). Then comes primer, which often will reveal if there's any spots that need more bondo and/or sanding (another step that may require repeating a few times) before it's ready for paint.

And if you need to cut the helmet into sections to get it to fit, so that after the fiberglass phase. I know it would be easier to cut in the paper or even the resin stage, but it's more likely to warp then because it won't have the added support to keep its shape.

Whelp, I'm thoroughly frightened of the next step. I really don't know which way I wanna go whether it be rondo or the fiberglass mat. Really hoping I don't eff this up along the way.

Well I gathered up my courage and applied Rondo to the inside and out this past weekend. Forgot to take pictures but it's starting to actually look like something now. I think I'm going to move on to sanding the outside and getting rid of some of the big edges. I have a large file I'm going to use to hit the edges first and then I'm gonna buff the rest out with sandpaper. It's coming along pretty well I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back