Exotic [Female] Warlock WIP- Halloween 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazedStarbon

RCO
Member DIN
S009
There's been some crazy costuming coming to light the past few weeks in anticipation for Halloween. Everyone's doing a fantastic job :thumbsup
Now it's my turn to add to the hectic atmosphere:

I was challenged by a good friend to recreate my Destiny Warlock even though I've NEVER sewn or crafted anything from foam. Let's just say - deadlines are a good motivation for these things.
Production began October 20th, but there's been a bit of procrastinating until yesterday...the helmet, boots, and a few minor details won't be included as I'm pressed for time. Again, this is a first-timer attempting a somewhat simple, yet complicated design.

This will be the end result more-or-less:
(Exotic Voidfang Vestments)
View attachment 5228

The sleeves were the first to be constructed after I fiddled with the coat's lack of side seams. Both took 3 tries with test fabric before settling on a decent shape. I'll be sporting this costume in cobalt blue.
View attachment 5229 View attachment 5230
1) Sleeves: exterior fabric - satin reversed, interior - white linen
I cheated a LOT, and cut the white fabric in a general shape that would fit my arm, right up to my shoulder. Afterwards, the pattern was transferred on to the satin material so it'd limit waste. Surprisingly, these weren't sewn. Another glorious cheat has been attained - adhesive fabric tape! I swear by this stuff. I'm very proud how these turned out. It also saved on time, as I don't own a sewing machine.

2) Coat: Not much has changed from this picture other than that the shoulders have been hemmed together, and I created a small standup collar at the back, so I may add the tall collar if I have time. (Sleeves are not attached yet!!!) The length of the coat will be hemmed with the fabric tape, and a slit will be cut in the back, right up the middle. The star-shaped design will be painted on once the coat is completed. This will be the last thing on the to-do list.

3) Shoulder guards: see those black-looking things above the coat? Those are part of my improvisation for a colour scheme. I didn't like the brown-on-brown / gold look, so it'll be changed to black-on-silver. There's at least 2 different types of fabric for the arms - but there's no time for that nonsense, so I found some cool spandex fabric that has a semi-shiny pattern on one side, and a matte reverse on the backside. These will be attached when sewing the sleeves into place to give a similar look in-game.

* The right-side of the black fabric pattern will be doubled-up for the coat's interior to give it a funky look from the inside...and to hide unnecessary pencil markings, paint details and possible errors.

View attachment 5231 View attachment 5232
4) FOAM: 2-3mm used. Even though I've done my research over the course of months, sifting through these forums for tutorials, builds, and material recommendation, I cannot stress how important it is to have patience AND a decent mask if using spray paint and other aerosols. I didn't want to spend money on a protective mask that I wouldn't use much, so I created my own using hospital masks before my contract ended. It did the work while using the first coat of Plasti-Dip, however the fumes do linger if you bring the pieces indoors. This is my current dilemma because I just beat the rain by 2 seconds. Hence why some pieces aren't covered completely. The weather decided to turn gusty the moment I began spraying. :facepalm

The first colourful picture was me playing around with the front and back spinal designs, and the left pouch. Everything was drawn on paper to cut out into a pattern. The second picture is a little messy because I was trying to remove myself from inhaling the fumes as I set everything up. (It can be strong, and should be used with caution for those with allergies or breathing problems.)
-The big piece on the left is the back spinal pattern with attached custom foam belts.
-The triangular pieces are going to be a type of leather shoulder guard that will hold the back to the front piece via snap buttons. (Everything will be attached this way.)
-I'm pretty happy with how the front chest piece came out (bottom, right). I fought for the upper portion to mold in an outward fashion. Took a few tries and thinking, but it's sturdy.
-Warlock bond - yes, it's there - the half-circle shape above the back piece. (mid-left) Another proud creation using beveled cutting techniques with an exacto knife. When the Plasti-Dip dries, I'll get a better picture of it all spiffed-up.

Now I've been barred to my room for two hours, closed off from the outside world as two fans and open windows deal revenge on said- Plasti-Dip. (My fault for going against other members' warnings that builds aren't apartment friendly) LOL
It's freezing in here...weather's also calling for snow Friday, so hopefully this costume will be partially warm. If not, I guess I'll have to learn the Destiny dances.

I'll continuously update this thread over the course of the next 24 hours. My goal is to have these robes completed early tomorrow.

Edit: Jan 11/16:
- For anyone new who stumbles upon this thread, while it has been inactive for over a year the pictures have been accidentally removed. The robes and partial props from this build are currently stowed away until I get back into it. Hopefully later this summer after a more important major project.
Thank you for your interest and stopping by!

Very nice. About time we got some more Warlocks around here.

Seconded! I'm very excited to see how this turns out! I just got those Voidfang Vestments in-game and they are spiffy! Unfortunately my friend Cathy is full up on cosplay requests and won't be able to make them, she does such perfect work.

Thanks guys! This has definitely proved to be a challenge. Luckily, I got the coat finished, although the bottom doesn't have as much flair as in-game, but relieved there's something to work with now.
View attachment 5335
(Apologies for the side view.)

Here's the front chest piece. There's a little extra foam on the sides which will have snap buttons glued to the edges and underneath the coat.
View attachment 5336

Back piece after first coat of paint. I may leave this as is and fix it up after Halloween. There's a larger fabric piece that will go under this.
Also - warlock bond! I used the game's design for the Seal of the Twin Eagles. (Yes, I'm doing the entire bond.) Hopefully the seal itself will turn out decent.
View attachment 5337

Left pouch, first coat of paint. I may stay true to the game and make the belt the same color. Depends on time.
View attachment 5338

My goal right now is to get the bond finished, attach the snap buttons and add the sun design to the robes.

I wonder if sewing in an armature, maybe chicken wire, into the back (for support) and lower half of the coat would give it enough stiffness to get a proper flare, perhaps? Hide it between an inner and outer layer and bend it to the desired shape.

Bond is complete. I'm tempted to get a couple glow sticks to light it up for cheap fun...always undecided.
I used binder dividers for the twin eagles by drawing out the pattern in two sizes. The smaller one was cut out in purple, the larger one was a duo of purple/blue to achieve some sort of effect.
View attachment 5345
View attachment 5342 View attachment 5343

Woooooaaaaahhhh :eek:
That's cool lookin!

Wanna see some shots of this being worn!

Woooooaaaaahhhh :eek:
That's cool lookin!

Wanna see some shots of this being worn!

I'll see about getting a quick shot tonight in the snow. We got 10 cm overnight and it's still piling up, haha!

I wonder if sewing in an armature, maybe chicken wire, into the back (for support) and lower half of the coat would give it enough stiffness to get a proper flare, perhaps? Hide it between an inner and outer layer and bend it to the desired shape.
I thought about this too. It'll definitely work for the standup collar. As for the flare, it dawned on me that I should've cut the pattern wider then use wire.

Had to scrap the foam pieces as the front wasn't sitting right. Figured out the source - the left arm sleeve needs to be redone because it was tugging too much. There wasn't enough give to hold it together. Ah well, lesson-learned ;)

Sadly, I never got around to adding the back design. Although I managed to scrounge up a quick belt.
Costume is 50% complete for Halloween, but due to the weather I'll improvise with a few things to keep warm and stand out.

I'
I thought about this too. It'll definitely work for the standup collar. As for the flare, it dawned on me that I should've cut the pattern wider then use wire.

Perhaps then you could take care of both with one section running from the collar to the bottom hem. That would also give the back plating something more solid to anchor to.

Perhaps then you could take care of both with one section running from the collar to the bottom hem. That would also give the back plating something more solid to anchor to.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Well, I went out tonight around my neighborhood in what little costume I had assembled. Despite scrapping all the foam pieces except for the warlock bond (seal did not survive cold temperatures, but thankfully my sister caught it before it blew away...), as well as the belt - people were intrigued to know what the heck I was.

My aunt insisted that I borrow their sewing machine and completely redo the coat with a pattern. That's actually what I got praised for - hand sewing the entire thing without a pattern. My uncle was left baffling over the free-hand work, haha.
Unfortunately, no pictures. I have another alternative to tackle the armor pieces, but I'll work with what was already created for now and see where I end up. After spending a few hours wearing it, it gave more insight as to what needed to be altered and amended for the future.

Always fun to have the first "trial run" with a new costume. Can't wait to see the progress you make in refining it.

So far so good! I hope this is still going on. :)

-Tony
Dare I say, yes and no? LOL
I haven't given up on this just yet, but that's what the refining stages are for. There's a side prop in the works to go with it, along with something else to go underneath. This thread won't be updated for a while until I settle on the final design for everything. I nearly have everything, it's actually getting around to do it. Free time is limited to weekends right now, but I do love a challenge. ;)

Dare I say, yes and no? LOL
I haven't given up on this just yet, but that's what the refining stages are for. There's a side prop in the works to go with it, along with something else to go underneath. This thread won't be updated for a while until I settle on the final design for everything. I nearly have everything, it's actually getting around to do it. Free time is limited to weekends right now, but I do love a challenge. ;)

Awesome...I look forward to the updates!

-Tony

Very cool project, glad im not the only person trying to do a whole warlock outfit including clothes from scratch, looks as complicated as I expected.

Main issue I am having is finding a coat pattern to use to play with to make the Undercoat\long coat.

Off to local haberdashery for material at the weekend, getting cheap cloth to make a mock up, before transferring to quality cloth.

No sewing machine though, but friend has offered to help :)

Off to local haberdashery for material at the weekend, getting cheap cloth to make a mock up, before transferring to quality cloth.

No sewing machine though, but friend has offered to help :)

There are several patterns of long coats you can find online, but most require you to pay a few dollars to get it. I found a cheat where you take a zippered hoodie, and trace it onto the fabric. From there, I extended the length for this project. I don't own a sewing machine either, but hand-stitching has a bit more control and requires a LOT of patience. :)

If you're looking for cheap fabric - muslin is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back