Helmet problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So I started sanding my first pep helmet, and its looking pretty bad right now. I was wondering if I could get help on how to fix this problem? So here's the story. I made some rookie mistakes. instead of applying bondo section by section, I try to get as much in one go. And I found using my gloves to apply it around was a lot faster than a bondo applicator. I was sanding with a dremel and there were tons of issues. Its unleveled, its starting to show the pep model in some areas and its really rough. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like it's still salvageable. Get a mouse sander it will save your but. Don't bear down while sanding and let the machine do the work. The nice flat wide surface will help level it out and it has a detail tip attachment for angles/edges. It will take time to get it right but hardest lesson to learn is patience first and there's no shortcut.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Yea ryno's tips are pretty good. I learnt the hard way that it is easier to to do small amounts of bondo at a time, put a bit more hardener in it so that it goes of quicker. This way you apply the bondo allot better/smoother which ultimately saves sanding down great amounts of uneven surfaces.

Also don't be afraid to go further than a sander. To get larger amounts of bondo off, i use a file and sometimes even a rasp. A set of pin files is also handy for the finer detailing later.

Can't remember which thread i saw this, but this woman gives some great tips on applying bondo and detailing that may help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back