Help With Making A Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

obiwon2296

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm am now looking to start working on a Helmet out of foam is there a video or help on making a helmet out of foam. Any Help or Ideas would be very appreciated?

There are resources for the more common helmet varieties around for foam. Do you know which bucket you're leaning towards? because the difficulty and availability of unfolds altered for foam can vary greatly. If you want to attempt anything with large compound curvature a heat gun will be a must and I recommend using no thicker than 1/4 inch foam for helmet making.

If you were looking for suggestions as to which helmet is a good starter for foam i would recommend any low detail, smoothed unfold, to which you would add detail with cut-aways or craft foam. Theres a nice mk 6 file around that i have in mind but I'm without my database atm. If you have the means to burn detail into foam before forming it then an odst might not be to difficult. Recon helmet may also be one of the easiest in my opinion, but that doesn't seem to be so popular.

For general purpose helmet-making, foamwork and patterning, Evil Ted Smith covered that in this three-parter:

In terms of UNSC helmets, I haven't seen anything specifically. From what I've seen generally it seems to be common sense low-res Pepakura conversions with detail added later.

Last edited by a moderator:
^this. It is a lot of translation through common sense, and that's why most people do it themselves and a super comprehensive file base for foam hasn't been built that matches those of original peps (that I know of). And I can't believe Evil Ted Smith didn't come to mind, haha. Agreed though, I found his tuts late, but they were very useful!

I used this, But instead of cardboard I used the foam it worked out well fit nicely and the helmet wasn't huge so over shadowing my body LOL

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back