My Buddies Warthog Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is AMAZING. I actually got to touch the working warthog that WETA workshop made, a Sam Neill dummy was in the driver's seat. Living all the way down here in NZ does have it's benefits... It's the one used in Halo 4:Forward unto Dawn.
Anyway, I'm sure you guys will be able to make a warthog as good, maybe even better! Can't wait to see more progress, good luck in your endeavor that I'm sure will succeed!

I think it was Chevy that produced a four wheel steering truck for a while. If memory serves me the rear axle would lock in place for highway use. To prevent high-speed steering issues. Then you could unlock it to steer for trailer positioning etc. Just a thought for a street legal version. Rollovers would be a big concern for this thing at highway speeds on pavement. In the dirt not so much as long as you keep your foot in the gas.

Anyway, awesome concept look forward to seeing more.

Just a quick update on our progress on the design. We only really got the hood frame and the hood hinges completed; tomorrow I plan on completing the rest of the suspension and start work on the cab area. If some one would like to design a HUD for us to use on the cab monitors that displays Speed, Engine RPM, Battery Voltage, Engine Temperature, and Boost Pressure from the Turbo, we would be extremely thankful for the help!
Screenshot 2014-11-07 00.20.37.pngScreenshot 2014-11-07 00.20.59.png

You wont need to tell them that, they will have read about it now haha :p

Plans are coming along good right about now. Nice thinking transmut2, i hadn't even give a thought to keeping it road legal. Imagine grabbing a couple of 405th members in full armour cruising down a motorway on a warthog. Much fun to be had.

Haha, yeah man, I mean if you're gunna build one, gotta make it so it goes on the road. Lucky for me the state of PA has real lax rules on making your own vehicle. You just need lights, brakes, seat belts, and as long as it can maintain the minimum speed limit for all roads, it's legal. :)

Also Robert, loving the design so far, keep it up!!!!

If you made it road legal you could have a lot of fun and make a troop hog for the 405th.

Not to mention the turret would be a extreme pain to work like the game. Even the one design that was in Forward unto Dawn can't do that. It turns but can't turn during driving due to the amount of force that is pushed onto the operator.

This is a crazy pretentious project... i love it! Good luck guys :) We'll all be keeping our eyes on this one!!

Actually, Harri51 brings up a good point. What kind of hog are you making? A machinegun or gauss hog would be cool, but impractical, and would probably get you pulled over pretty often. A flatbed hog is too easy and plain. Personally, I vote for a troop hog, but did you have anything in mind already?

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415420155.009903.jpg

That would be nice to have a troop hog rollin down the road full of spartans. How about the idea to make the frame in the back of a troop hog, detachable? Then it would give you freedom to switch into Guass Hogs and film some movies...
Just an idea..

Going real well so far! Cant wait to see more!

With all the thought you guys are already putting into this thing, interchangeable components for different scenarios (and the production value for filming mentioned) would be the cherry on top. I too would be curious about any plans you may already have in mind.

View attachment 5772

That would be nice to have a troop hog rollin down the road full of spartans. How about the idea to make the frame in the back of a troop hog, detachable? Then it would give you freedom to switch into Guass Hogs and film some movies...
Just an idea..

Going real well so far! Cant wait to see more!

You literally took the word out of my mouth! That's exactly our plan and I was just working on the design for how it'd work. I don't want to say much until i can post some pictures of the design so I'll just leave it at that. Hopefully there'll be a good update tomorrow night. You know how it is. Gotta go to that boring place called work for a while so I can pay for this monster!

Keep in mind some of the dot requirements for things, because if I could use the plans you come up with to build on, I'm going to make it road legal.

I want to echo this... I am planning on a similar project several years down the road. I recently sent off an email to my state's (Tennessee) DOT, asking for the safety inspection manual, so that when I actually start, I can make it street legal. My email should be sitting in the state mechanic's inbox right now.
In the message I sent I tried to emphasize that it was a non production/one off/concept vehicle.

I want to echo this... I am planning on a similar project several years down the road. I recently sent off an email to my state's (Tennessee) DOT, asking for the safety inspection manual, so that when I actually start, I can make it street legal. My email should be sitting in the state mechanic's inbox right now.
In the message I sent I tried to emphasize that it was a non production/one off/concept vehicle.

That's a really good idea. I should do the same since its just not the same googling stuff and hoping you've got the correct information and then once its built, wind up having to completely redesign the brake system or something

With all the thought you guys are already putting into this thing, interchangeable components for different scenarios (and the production value for filming mentioned) would be the cherry on top. I too would be curious about any plans you may already have in mind.

All I'd really like to say about it is that at the moment we've got the idea to add mounting systems for a regular turret, a Gauss turret, a Rocket turret, a transport cage, and a 5th wheel hitch :D

My only thing to say on the turret is the kinetic energy that making it hard to turn if you want the full halo experience. Which would need a dampening system to work into the frame some how do dispel all that force into the hog. Just so the operator can turn the turret while going at full speed. I recommend looking into the Hummer turret system to see if there is anything on how it works.

But if it cosmetic then go all out man. I like the interchangeable idea, it be awesome in photo shots to put a turret on and in like a parade have the troop hog with some of us in it,

All I'd really like to say about it is that at the moment we've got the idea to add mounting systems for a regular turret, a Gauss turret, a Rocket turret, a transport cage, and a 5th wheel hitch :D

This is what I had planned... I figured that a few well placed bolts, & a counter balance for the turrets would probably work, although the turrets would just be props, although I haven't run simulations on any of it, so...

I always figured that, for any realistic expectation for safety, the operator would be strapped into the turret (against the big arms that you push your shoulders into for stability), but this is likely foregone in combat situations (and for gameplay simplicity, especially when you're a half-ton SPARTAN with mechanical hands).

I always figured that, for any realistic expectation for safety, the operator would be strapped into the turret (against the big arms that you push your shoulders into for stability), but this is likely foregone in combat situations (and for gameplay simplicity, especially when you're a half-ton SPARTAN with mechanical hands).

I always assumed that, and that the turret was mounted on a motorized base, and by pushing on pedals would turn. I also assumed that the calf would have some restraint securing it to the rotating base.

Real good job with what you got so far!

What I've always wanted to see (probably never happen) is a hog with true suspension just like in-game Halo 1-3 (Halo 4 added the live axle) Where every wheel had independent suspension pivoting from the center of the vehicle, this would also provide maximum ground clearance. And large suspension threshold. I just couldn't imagine hitting something solid right in the front V shape of the suspension and ripping off the whole front end :(

I imagine the easiest way to achieve this is through hydraulic actuators, you would need to jam 2 in each hub, one for steering and one for drive. I just realized another problem doing it this way: You wheel camber would constantly be adjusting on turns based on the current position on the suspension. But it shouldn't be too significant.
Warthog_Comparisons.jpg

When I build a 3d printer, I want to design and build a remote controlled warthog with all of this just to see how it acts.

Also a good gun for mounting would be an airsoft M134 Vulcan, this if you where to go that route.

It seams that only one company makes such a thing, and it costs $4,000. Here is one place that sales it.

Yeah, I think if these guys can build an entire truck, they could easily build a mock up cannon and hook it up to an electric motor. For the purpose of simplicity and legality, I don't know if they should be turning it into a functional airsoft gun.

...I wonder if you could use one of those belt-fed nerf guns hooked up to a compressor with a rotating barrel set and a timing gear. THAT would a project to see unto it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back