My Buddies Warthog Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertShively

Screenshot 2014-11-03 23.40.21.pngScreenshot 2014-11-03 23.42.05.png
Screenshot 2014-11-03 23.40.30.pngScreenshot 2014-11-03 23.40.37.png
The other day, Halloween day actually, my friend came to me with the idea of building a full size Warthog after he saw the new Halo 2 Anniversary trailer. So we sat down and hammered out the basic idea. I'm relatively good at design in Solidworks, so I'm helping on the project. This is what we've got so far. We've got lots of work ahead and if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Specs:
Tires - 40x13.5R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers or 40x15.5R20 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Engine - Cummins 6.7l I6 Turbo Diesel
Suspension - KingShocks 12" or 18" Travel Coilovers
Drive - Permanent 4x4 and 4-Wheel Drive Steering

If you actually pull this off, I'm... I don't know what I'll do, I'll be in shock, and when I get myself together, I'll do something drastic.

If you actually pull this off, I'm... I don't know what I'll do, I'll be in shock, and when I get myself together, I'll do something drastic.

I know what you mean man, I've been looking around the forums at all of the attempts at a Warthog and there are very very few successes. I'm betting that this will be one of those, even if we end up picking different parts to lower costs

Wow i love this idea. looks awesome. I work in a manufacturing plant where it would be easy to make something like this, its a shame that my company would never let me :( haha.

But seriously it would be lovely to see this done, keep at it! where would you plan on manufacturing this? would you guys do it yourselves?

See the thing is this there in only one actually working gamespec warthog in the world outside the game. If you guys pull this off the 405th will be launched into a realm in which I think most of use would sign up for in a heartbeat.

Either way. If you guys need stuff in CAD done send me a drawing my way and I will hook you up.

I've got a little bit of an update on the project. I started work on designing the front end differential cradle, and found where we will be buying our differentials from as well.
Here's what I've got so far:
Screenshot 2014-11-04 11.08.17.pngScreenshot 2014-11-04 11.10.51.png
Its a bolt on assembly so if we end up breaking a part of it, we won't have to cut the entire front end apart to replace the damaged pieces. We've decided to use differentials, Steering Knuckles, and drive shafts from Dynatrac.

I came back here as i have soooooooo many questions. It is prety exciting to see someone start to look at a build of this scale.

What kind of engine would you be using? Did you not think about designing the build based around an existing vehicle? rather than put all the hard work into something that has been designed before could you not chop a pickup down to its chassis and then mount all your warthog parts/bodywork onto that?

Wow i love this idea. looks awesome. I work in a manufacturing plant where it would be easy to make something like this, its a shame that my company would never let me :( haha.

But seriously it would be lovely to see this done, keep at it! where would you plan on manufacturing this? would you guys do it yourselves?

This will definitely be completed! Its not so much a matter of if, but how soon since it will be expensive. My friend lives on 5 acres of land, so we would be doing most of the testing at his house, but manufacturing will be done on weekends at my grandfathers/fathers machine shop. I can weld, although its not the prettiest sight, and we all have experience designing, cutting, assembling, etc

I came back here as i have soooooooo many questions. It is prety exciting to see someone start to look at a build of this scale.

What kind of engine would you be using? Did you not think about designing the build based around an existing vehicle? rather than put all the hard work into something that has been designed before could you not chop a pickup down to its chassis and then mount all your warthog parts/bodywork onto that?

We're planning on using the same Cummins turbo diesel that Ram is putting in their current generation 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks. When we first came up with the idea we were just going to chop up two old 4x4 Ram 1500s and use the front ends from both of them to get the 4 wheel steering, but the differentials on the front end of those trucks are locked since 4x4 is only suppose to be used offroad or on slippery pavement. So we decided it would just be easier to go down the custom built road for flexibility and the price would be about the same both ways

Nice man, i am subscribing to the this now!

I love how you thought about modding a truck, then decided that it was not good enough, now you doing it from scratch for full flexibility. I take my hat off to you Sir.

^dido, haha
This is super ambitious but I'm sensing the determination! Best of luck on your voyage, subbed for sure.

On a four wheel steering system you are going to need very good welds on frame work especially motor and axle mounts, the stresses in these locations will be max.
I'm a mechanical designer, if you need help looking at things or ideas please feel free to contact me, I've been mulling ideas over like this with my friend who's a high end certified welder for a long time. :)
We'd be more than willing to put our 2 cents in to help you on anything you need!
I have CAD and inventor 3d at work and at home so I'm willing to help ya anytime. :)

Btw way you're gunna need grade 8 bolts minimum to start, stay way from grade 5, if you're doing a bolt on front end, that baby will snap off on the first jump you land if you don't make your mounting locations super tough and gusseted. min 3/8" thk. steel plate, would prefer 1/2 thk.

On a four wheel steering system you are going to need very good welds on frame work especially motor and axle mounts, the stresses in these locations will be max.
I'm a mechanical designer, if you need help looking at things or ideas please feel free to contact me, I've been mulling ideas over like this with my friend who's a high end certified welder for a long time. :)
We'd be more than willing to put our 2 cents in to help you on anything you need!
I have CAD and inventor 3d at work and at home so I'm willing to help ya anytime. :)

Btw way you're gunna need grade 8 bolts minimum to start, stay way from grade 5, if you're doing a bolt on front end, that baby will snap off on the first jump you land if you don't make your mounting locations super tough and gusseted. min 3/8" thk. steel plate, would prefer 1/2 thk.

Thanks for the advice about the bolts. The grade hadn't even crossed my mind since were not that far along in the design phase yet, although most of the parts will have 3/4" holes drilled them for mounting. The engine mounts will be welded to the frame, and probably be made out of 2x4" square tube but all of that is subject to change as we get started on assembly :lol and like you said about the welds on the framework, I won't be handling that portion of the project. My father is a certified welder and has 30+ years of experience welding and he'll handle that side of things

Figured I'd throw up an update of how the design is coming. I've mostly finished the front differential cradle although I might beef up the mounting area a little bit but over all its complete. Just missing the bolt pattern for the differential. That little bar thats connected where the lower control arm mounts, is just a reference part.

Screenshot 2014-11-04 14.42.18.pngScreenshot 2014-11-04 15.00.51.png
Screenshot 2014-11-04 15.37.28.pngScreenshot 2014-11-04 16.09.03.png

Another update on the progress. Most of the suspension is complete, were just missing the upper control arms and the bump stops, then its on to creating the body. Any suggestions on where we should put the fuel tank?

Screenshot 2014-11-04 22.03.01.pngScreenshot 2014-11-05 00.06.46.png
Screenshot 2014-11-05 00.23.54.pngScreenshot 2014-11-05 10.02.23.png

The weird looking thing in the front with the holes in the top is a rough model of the diesel engine we will be using. Behind it is the Allison Transmission. We're still searching for a viable transfer case, so suggestions would be great!

Looking good.
One question though, did you keep the whole frame as one tubular section? because it looks like you broke it up into several pieces with those other plates there. That would be a big no no if that's the case, you'd want those frame tubes to be one piece all the way thru.
The gas tank could actually go in several places with this design: in the frame area under the floor of the cab, you have a nice spot there, or under the bed area, another fully caged in spot there, frankly would be the best. Honestly keeping it in between the frame anywhere is best, that was the Delorean way. :)
Keep in mind some of the dot requirements for things, because if I could use the plans you come up with to build on, I'm going to make it road legal. :)
Also take many pics during construction for here and for dot, because they will require those.
Oh and I'm glad your dad is the welder, hehe, I can weld too, but I wouldn't trust my limited skills to something so epic as this! :)

Keep it coming! :)

Looking good.
One question though, did you keep the whole frame as one tubular section? because it looks like you broke it up into several pieces with those other plates there. That would be a big no no if that's the case, you'd want those frame tubes to be one piece all the way thru.
The gas tank could actually go in several places with this design: in the frame area under the floor of the cab, you have a nice spot there, or under the bed area, another fully caged in spot there, frankly would be the best. Honestly keeping it in between the frame anywhere is best, that was the Delorean way. :)
Keep in mind some of the dot requirements for things, because if I could use the plans you come up with to build on, I'm going to make it road legal. :)
Also take many pics during construction for here and for dot, because they will require those.
Oh and I'm glad your dad is the welder, hehe, I can weld too, but I wouldn't trust my limited skills to something so epic as this! :)

Keep it coming! :)

Thanks man, I'm glad someone asked about the frame, its actually one solid tube with the plates cut out to wrap around them! I've been looking at the DOT requirements and everything and the only issue I can for see so far is that currently the tread to tread width is 12 inches over the legal limit, although I might just cheat my way around that by making a separate set of control arms that reduce the width. Just don't tell them that!

As for the blueprints, I'm debating on putting them up for sale on my website for around $5, to try to reduce how much cash I have to use out of pocket ;) That's still debatable though, I might just make it a free download, but I will definitely be sharing these

All I have to say is... If you make one you have to make one for everyone in the community... Its in the da rules....

the tread to tread width is 12 inches over the legal limit, although I might just cheat my way around that by making a separate set of control arms that reduce the width. Just don't tell them that!

You wont need to tell them that, they will have read about it now haha :p

Plans are coming along good right about now. Nice thinking transmut2, i hadn't even give a thought to keeping it road legal. Imagine grabbing a couple of 405th members in full armour cruising down a motorway on a warthog. Much fun to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back