My Buddies Warthog Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think if these guys can build an entire truck, they could easily build a mock up cannon and hook it up to an electric motor. For the purpose of simplicity and legality, I don't know if they should be turning it into a functional airsoft gun.

...I wonder if you could use one of those belt-fed nerf guns hooked up to a compressor with a rotating barrel set and a timing gear. THAT would a project to see unto it's own.

I agree completely.

Real good job with what you got so far!

What I've always wanted to see (probably never happen) is a hog with true suspension just like in-game Halo 1-3 (Halo 4 added the live axle) Where every wheel had independent suspension pivoting from the center of the vehicle, this would also provide maximum ground clearance. And large suspension threshold. I just couldn't imagine hitting something solid right in the front V shape of the suspension and ripping off the whole front end :(

I imagine the easiest way to achieve this is through hydraulic actuators, you would need to jam 2 in each hub, one for steering and one for drive. I just realized another problem doing it this way: You wheel camber would constantly be adjusting on turns based on the current position on the suspension. But it shouldn't be too significant.
View attachment 5802

When I build a 3d printer, I want to design and build a remote controlled warthog with all of this just to see how it acts.

Also a good gun for mounting would be an airsoft M134 Vulcan, this if you where to go that route.

I really wanted to build the hog that way too, but the issue with ground clearance is still there, youre just adding a gap in the center that things can pass through. Its a great concept and it looks badass in the games but you'd almost never be able to get the same performance out of it as a direct drive style drive train. But man if you can figure out a way to do it on the small scale, that'd be amazing! If you can afford it, I'd say try Solidworks out for it since you can basically design and test every aspect of the vehicle in the program.

As for the turret, I have a design that I did in my highschool engineering class, laying around somewhere, of how a minigun action works because i wanted to build an airsoft one for less than the retail price lol but I could probably mod it to work with 3 barrels. That'd be the route I'd go if we were to end up making the turret functional.

I gotta apologize for the lack of updates over the past two days, I've been at work for most of them. Hopefully I'll be able to get an update out tonight now that I'm off work!

I use 3ds max for all my modeling, so whatever I design will be in there. For some reason I thought you would have more ground clearance, but I didn't realise I was wrong until I looked at it again. You would eliminate the differential case though.

It would be quite easy to make your own airsoft turret. All you have to do is buy a gearbox built for an LMG and figure out some sort of mechanism to sink the gearbox with the barrels, witch will probably take a lot of tweeking.

I use 3ds max for all my modeling, so whatever I design will be in there. For some reason I thought you would have more ground clearance, but I didn't realise I was wrong until I looked at it again. You would eliminate the differential case though.

It would be quite easy to make your own airsoft turret. All you have to do is buy a gearbox built for an LMG and figure out some sort of mechanism to sink the gearbox with the barrels, witch will probably take a lot of tweeking.
Yeah moving the differential case into the body or completely eliminating it would give a slight increase in clearance. As for the minigun, the way I had designed my minigun way back when, was similar to the way a real one works

So like I said earlier, I was able to accomplish enough to post an update tonight! Here it is:

Screenshot 2014-11-09 23.26.11.pngScreenshot 2014-11-09 23.27.46.png

So in the first image, we've got the suspension basically complete, although I'm not sure if we should add a second set of shocks. What do you guys think? And the second image is showing the mounting pattern for the turret and what ever else we decide to make compatible with this build!

you guys have my vote I think you can pull it off just don't give up,

it was not that long ago that if you told some one you were going to make Halo armor from the game they would have said it could not be done and look now, :)

Its been a few days since the last update, and I've been trying to get as much work in as I can between work and my college classes, but here is what I've got so far. It doesn't look like much because 90% of the work now is editing parts and checking clearances, but I have started designing the inside of the drivers compartment area thing (Not sure what you'd call it) lol
Screenshot 2014-11-14 10.05.12.png

I'd say were about 1/3rd of the way through the design phase :D

You may benefit from a working scale model here. There's lots of RC gear off the shelf that could work for it, or you could maybe do something in the micro kart size for a convention. Certainly Solidworks is a great tool for this!

Might be an effective promotional tool, too.

An ambitious project for sure backed by some nice design work. Looking at your suspension systems, I think you will need to move the shock absorbers out from between the A-arms as their current placement would prevent the drive shafts from reaching the hubs from the differentials. If you look up the old Jaguar independent rear suspension (IRS) you'll see a fully enclosed bolt-on rear suspension setup that will give you some ideas on the half shafts and 4x coil over shocks. This setup uses the half shaft from the differential as the upper arm and mounts the four coil over shocks fore and aft of the half shafts. Early jags had the brakes inboard to reduce sprung weight, but later cars (late '80s early '90s) had the brakes outboard.

Here's my Jag suspension coming out for rebuild (sorry I don't have pictures of the bright shiny rebuild job I did). The cage holds it all together. Shocks go from cage to massive lower arm. Half-shafts (drive shafts) from differential serve as upper arm. Brake calipers are inboard to reduce sprung weight. That does help the handling, but makes the brakes hard to work on. The brakes are why mine had to come out. Later cars had brakes at the wheels.
JagSuspension.jpg

The restored suspension project about to go back in the car. This shows the shock / half shaft arrangement a little better. The arms sticking out of the front are radium arms. They keep the suspension from bucking back and forth under load / bumps. Whatever route you go, you'll want to add those as well to make handling predictable. They bolt to the underside of the body or chassis via bushings.
JagSuspension2.jpg

No shortage of these bolt on suspensions in junkyards. A modified lower arm and custom upright would give you rear steering. There are other systems out there for kit cars and off of other cars (and trucks), but this should let you get your mind around the shock placement.

Good luck on a great project!

Redshirt

Attachments

• JagSuspension.jpg
    JagSuspension.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 155
  • JagSuspension2.jpg
    JagSuspension2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 152
Awesome I was worried I was the only one doing this, although I don't plan on making mine very true to the game as far as suspension is concerned. My cousin and I are trying to build it more like a desert dune buggy with long travel suspension and we're using a ford 6.2l v8(like in the raptor) and this is mostly for personal badassness than anything else. Good luck to you in your build, and we put a thin racing fuel cell under the "bed".

Does anyone know what the cab and bed dimensions are for the Halo 4 Warthog. I'm working on starting my own warthog build here soon.

Hey everyone. Sorry about the lack of posts for the past few months. We've had some set backs on the build, mainly my copy of Solidworks expiring. I had gotten it from my engineering teacher, and it was only a 1 year subscription. I'm currently looking for another piece of software that can compare to Solidworks and offer the same functionality. If I can't find something else, I'm going to have to give in and buy the student edition since I can't afford the full version currently. If anyone knows good software for vehicle design, please, let me know! Anyways, we've decided to out source the design of the drivetrain to a local business, due to the complexity of building an AWD 4 wheel steering vehicle. The other thing were planning on doing is opening a donation page on the website I'm creating for my instagram page, Insider Offroad. Our plan is to have a contributors listing under the hood, thanking anyone who donates to the build. We won't be opening the donations page until after we finalize the design though. And one last thing is, thank you for all of your support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back