My Buddies Warthog Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
I apologize that this thread has been dead for the past few months, I've been going through some changes with my personal life, as well as my professional life, and this project got pushed to the back burner. I've completely taken over this project now, and it will be built by my Instagram page, turned business, that I mentioned in my previous post, Insider Offroad. Our goal for this project is to have it up and running for the 2016 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. We're still in the beginning stages of opening up our business, mainly an online store, but hopefully by December we can open in a shop where we will be doing custom work. We're also completely redesigning the Hog from the ground up to save weight, and also increase the offroad capabilities of the vehicle.

What Warthog should we use? The regular turreted Hog, Gauss Hog, Rocket Hog, or the Transport Hog?

Well the transport hog would get you the fewest concerned looks. But I would say if you had to have a turret go with the machine gun it has been on the hog since game 1 most people would recognize it, plus it takes less material which will help you keep it light.

Well the transport hog would get you the fewest concerned looks. But I would say if you had to have a turret go with the machine gun it has been on the hog since game 1 most people would recognize it, plus it takes less material which will help you keep it light.

I should have been more clear about the weight issues and which style everyone thinks we should use. The drive train will be the same, like I mentioned in my OP a 6.7l Cummins Turbo Diesel with upgrades of course, so it has more than enough power overall. The plan is, as was originally designed, to have the turret be removeable, so we could swap out the turret for the transport cage or what ever we wanted to put into the bed, so the cage or turret would be more of an aesthetic piece, mainly for SEMA.

The weight issue was because when I originally designed the main chassis, I over designed it. Just the two frame rails alone would have weighed about 2000lbs because of how beefed up they were. I've since realized I can get comparable performance with a much lighter chassis. We plan to put the Hog through its paces on and offroad, so we would probably take the turret out and leave the bed empty for those runs, since no one would be riding back there anyways. At least at first... :rolleyes

If you want a gauss hog ..... I made a Real 2kJ coilgun back in college ;)

As its just Caps and some honking HUGE SCRs It's not a firearm.
.I've got the docs for it somwhere in my HDD.

Pete.

You will be in a rush to get the basics together for SEMA and float your business. Scale back your plans and focus on the truck with an empty bed. There are several builders with machine guns and turrets on the site, some better than others. I would contract one to borrow for SEMA '16. You can follow up SEMA '16 by building your own turret or other bed accessories. But seriously, you build trucks and you are starting a business. Stick with what you do and let someone else supply the bed filler.

For a SEMA pass I'll happily ride shotgun with the Spartan Laser!

Redshirt

mabye do something like this instead of turret?

H3-M831TroopTransportHog.png
300px-H3-TurretlessWarthog.png
(sience people keep posting about a TURRET, go TURRETLESS, its the new turret trend)

I've got a bit of an update for you all, no pictures unfortunately, but we've decided that were going to build the Transport Cage. This could change, although the cage would be the easiest, and least expensive to build.

is this going to be for airsoft

Technically, we could use it for airsoft, and it would be badass at that, although I dont see many fields allowing a full sized 5 ton vehicle driving around their field. The only place I could see it being used at would maybe, be a Lion Claw event.

If anyone is interested in contributing to the project, I'm looking for someone that could model some HD prop rifles, that can be disassembled!

Technically, we could use it for airsoft, and it would be badass at that, although I dont see many fields allowing a full sized 5 ton vehicle driving around their field. The only place I could see it being used at would maybe, be a Lion Claw event.

If anyone is interested in contributing to the project, I'm looking for someone that could model some HD prop rifles, that can be disassembled!

Indeed it would be fun in airsoft until insurance restrictions sucked the fun. Noble10, most large vehicles in Airsoft are restricted to 5 mph and over a prescribed route so no one gets run over. In short, you'd have more fun on a golf cart. Still, it would look the coolest.

If your objective is SEMA, you should link up with Mstruvmgc here on the site. He's in Vegas and may have good resources to link up with you there.

Redshirt

Screenshot 2015-08-29 23.15.21.png

I haven't had much time recently to work on the Hog, but I found some time today. I completely redesigned the lower control arms for the hog. They're designed to accept Rock Krawler Krawler Joints for the frame connections. I haven't chosen a ball joint for the steering knuckle side of the A-Arm yet. Will post another update in a few days

Screenshot 2015-08-31 23.44.35.png

I've got another small update on the part in my last post. To give it a bit more of a halo flare, I threw in the model number, M12. What do you all think?

So I've got a few updates for all of you! So, recently, I've had a bit of a block when it came to designing parts for the hog. I tried multiple times to make parts for the hog and each time, either I would sit and stare at the computer screen, or draw something and not like the results. Well, I decided I needed to get away from the project and work on something else. I wanted to stick to a halo project, so I started working on designing the MA37, not so that it could be built with pepakura or something like that, but instead in multiple pieces, to assemble like a real rifle, and function as such. So far I've finished about 90% of the lower receiver. I still have to work on the internal mechanisms, and some other parts. Here's what I've got so far:
Screenshot 2015-10-02 00.01.58.png

After I worked on this for a few days, I kind of got out of my design rut on the hog and was able to crank out the front suspension geometry through out yesterday and today. Hopefully I'm out of the rut and can get a bunch more of the hog done soon!
Screenshot 2015-10-01 23.41.08.png

On to the differential cradle!

Very nice man, you know, once you have this whole thing ironed out, I would love to get a copy of these plans from you and start building my own hog :)

What sort of ball joints do you plan on running? I know Chevy ball joints are prone to failure due to the fact that they are responsible for holding the weight of the vehicle for the suspension, as well as act as the main pivot point for steering... it's a lot of abuse for one joint to withstand!

Edit:
I'm also curious as to what sort of spring/shock/coilover/strut combo you are planning to run. I've been looking into ORI struts for my jeep, as they are a single unit that both supports and dampens, sense sideways force, and act as a bumpstop, all in one clean and very cool package. They are a little spendy, but will run roughly the same price as a decent set of coilovers and air-bumpstops. You can also scrap the need for a sway bar, which further cleans up and simplifies a build.

Edit 2:
Read your first post and saw you plan to go with king's. ... but I'll leave that info on the ORI's because they are super cool haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back